Register Now
StaceyPowers

Has anyone here ever regretted a preorder so much you won’t preorder again?

7 hours ago, Shagger said:

Game Publishers want you to pre-order because;

1. The buyers don't get to see reviews before buying, so the company in question gets the money before the buyer even knows if it will be worth it.
  2. The publisher get's money, and give the person back absolutely nothing. They only get a "promise" that they'll get a game. I's the ultimate transaction to favour a cooperation.
  3. It forces players to pay full price. That suits the publisher better than people buying a game at a reduced price father down the road.
  4. It looks good to shareholders and investors when a publisher says "Look how much money we've made before we have even put out any kind of product."

Scammers want ALL the money, they wanted all the money YESTERDAY and they want to give you NOTHING for it, and that's essentially what a pre-order is. As aforementioned, you given them money, and they give you absolutely nothing in return except a "promise". So calling it a "scam" is not that far from the truth.

It's not like they're gonna run out of stock for the game, especially with digital distribution, so pre-ordering to secure your copy of the game is just not a reason to pre-order anymore. The only reason I would pre-order a game now is if there was a lot of games I was interested in releasing at roughly the same time. I would consider pre-ordering a couple of them to "spread the cost" as it were, but that's only time I would do it. I certainly don't trust game companies even slightly any more. I was burned by Destiny and No Man's Sky, and after that, I was done with that shit.

Would there have been a possibility of having the game companies refund you on the games Destiny and No Man's Sky if it turned out to not be playable? If yes, I wouldn't call it a scam. It's more like what happened with Cyberpunk 2077, they had to refund gamers. 

6 hours ago, Boblee said:

Would there have been a possibility of having the game companies refund you on the games Destiny and No Man's Sky if it turned out to not be playable? If yes, I wouldn't call it a scam. It's more like what happened with Cyberpunk 2077, they had to refund gamers. 

First, it's not that the games I mentioned were unplayable, it's that they were sold on lies. That's the very essence of a scam and why I see the similarities. The content and quality of those games was not even kind of close to what was promised, it's not just about how buggy they are or are not. If all you want a game to do is function and that be enough to justify the price for you than you have seriously got to re-evaluate your standards.

Second, I never said that pre-ordering was a flat out out scam. I was trying to illustrate how worryingly similar pre-orders are to a straight up scam to show why one shouldn't do so and why game game companies want you to so badly.

Thirdly, offering a refund is not a reason to praise anyone who sells anything, including games. That's a basic consumer right that you should expect as a customer, not appreciate just because "Kind Mr Game Publisher" was so "generous" to offer it. A refund being available is not an excuse to sell a product on lies or sell it knowing it doesn't function as it should. The correct response to being offered a refund is not "Thank you", it's "Damb right you will!"

And lastly, why are you even defending this practice anyway? Game companies are monsters complete with fangs and claws. If people want to pre-order games, I don't object, that's totally your call, I just feel it's important that people understand why they are so pushed to do so by game companies these days, because it is very simple. As I said, the basis of everything they do is in effort to take ALL of you're money, to take said money immediately and give you something between absolutely nothing and bare minimum in exchange for it.

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

First, it's not that the games I mentioned were unplayable, it's that they were sold on lies. That's the very essence of a scam and why I see the similarities. The content and quality of those games was not even kind of close to what was promised, it's not just about how buggy they are or are not. If all you want a game to do is function and that be enough to justify the price for you than you have seriously got to re-evaluate your standards.

Second, I never said that pre-ordering was a flat out out scam. I was trying to illustrate how worryingly similar pre-orders are to a straight up scam to show why one shouldn't do so and why game game companies want you to so badly.

Thirdly, offering a refund is not a reason to praise anyone who sells anything, including games. That's a basic consumer right that you should expect as a customer, not appreciate just because "Kind Mr Game Publisher" was so "generous" to offer it. A refund being available is not an excuse to sell a product on lies or sell it knowing it doesn't function as it should. The correct response to being offered a refund is not "Thank you", it's "Damb right you will!"

And lastly, why are you even defending this practice anyway? Game companies are monsters complete with fangs and claws. If people want to pre-order games, I don't object, that's totally your call, I just feel it's important that people understand why they are so pushed to do so by game companies these days, because it is very simple. As I said, the basis of everything they do is in effort to take ALL of you're money, to take said money immediately and give you something between absolutely nothing and bare minimum in exchange for it.

Not really siding them per say, just needed a little bit clarification on the points you were making about the whole thing and I have been cleared. So, we are good 😉

On 11/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, Shagger said:

Game Publishers want you to pre-order because;

1. The buyers don't get to see reviews before buying, so the company in question gets the money before the buyer even knows if it will be worth it.
  2. The publisher get's money, and give the person back absolutely nothing. They only get a "promise" that they'll get a game. I's the ultimate transaction to favour a cooperation.
  3. It forces players to pay full price. That suits the publisher better than people buying a game at a reduced price father down the road.
  4. It looks good to shareholders and investors when a publisher says "Look how much money we've made before we have even put out any kind of product."

Scammers want ALL the money, they wanted all the money YESTERDAY and they want to give you NOTHING for it, and that's essentially what a pre-order is. As aforementioned, you given them money, and they give you absolutely nothing in return except a "promise". So calling it a "scam" is not that far from the truth.

It's not like they're gonna run out of stock for the game, especially with digital distribution, so pre-ordering to secure your copy of the game is just not a reason to pre-order anymore. The only reason I would pre-order a game now is if there was a lot of games I was interested in releasing at roughly the same time. I would consider pre-ordering a couple of them to "spread the cost" as it were, but that's only time I would do it. I certainly don't trust game companies even slightly any more. I was burned by Destiny and No Man's Sky, and after that, I was done with that shit.

There is no arguments here at all in my perspective as I do see most pre orders as a scam in disguise till it ends up well when you get the games and there's no issues. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

When the game is fully launched, you can simply head over to the E-commerce stores, you'll get to see them when the game is on stock. Going on and pre-ordering is a gamble for me. 

To some gamers, the gamble is worth it when it goes well but in most cases it doesn't which begs the question why they keep going for it? 

30 minutes ago, Heatman said:

To some gamers, the gamble is worth it when it goes well but in most cases it doesn't which begs the question why they keep going for it? 

Hmm, that's for them, for me I wouldn't gamble when I'm not sure about the end product being successful most times. 

26 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Hmm, that's for them, for me I wouldn't gamble when I'm not sure about the end product being successful most times. 

It's why I completely agree with Shagger that it's a scam that isn't worth getting into most of the time as it's not with any guarantees. 

43 minutes ago, Heatman said:

It's why I completely agree with Shagger that it's a scam that isn't worth getting into most of the time as it's not with any guarantees. 

Yeah, Shagger is right in his exactions concerning pre-order. Many scalpers are simply using such avenue to steal people's funds. 

4 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Yeah, Shagger is right in his exactions concerning pre-order. Many scalpers are simply using such avenue to steal people's funds. 

I don't think that scalpers have anything to do with game's pre orders, as the latter is directly from the company. 

30 minutes ago, Boblee said:

I don't think that scalpers have anything to do with game's pre orders, as the latter is directly from the company. 

Some scalpers who are fraudulent just as I have said before, simply impersonate a gaming company name, creating a fake account in the name of the company simply to take money away in the sense of pre-order. Some scalpers do affiliate for gaming company via pre-order, some of them aren't genuine. 

53 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Some scalpers who are fraudulent just as I have said before, simply impersonate a gaming company name, creating a fake account in the name of the company simply to take money away in the sense of pre-order. Some scalpers do affiliate for gaming company via pre-order, some of them aren't genuine. 

Wow, that's absurd if you ask if for these companies to allow such to arrangement to exist between them and game's scalpers. 

7 minutes ago, Boblee said:

Wow, that's absurd if you ask if for these companies to allow such to arrangement to exist between them and game's scalpers. 

Some scalpers do it without the companies notice, they are simply doing it out of fraud and the company isn't aware of them creating a fake website impersonating their name.