Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with widest gaps between difficulty levels?

What games feature the widest gaps between difficulty levels? I feel Dragon Age and Mass Effect are major offenders here.

Case in point, I was playing DA: Origins on “normal” or whatever the last time I was in the Fade, and the final boss fight took me like 30 min. I was playing it on “casual” this time (one level down), and it took me about 3 min. That is a ridiculous jump.

Deus Ex Human Revolution also has this issue. On the lowest difficulty, it's ridiculously easy to breeze through the game but bump it up to normal. Boss fights become much harder and the AI is a lot smarter. On the hardest difficulty, even the weakest enemies are giving you a headache and it's super easy to be detected when trying to move around stealthily.

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Deus Ex Human Revolution also has this issue. On the lowest difficulty, it's ridiculously easy to breeze through the game but bump it up to normal. Boss fights become much harder and the AI is a lot smarter. On the hardest difficulty, even the weakest enemies are giving you a headache and it's super easy to be detected when trying to move around stealthily.

Very funny though, that's one thing that comes with increasing it's difficulty. But if I don't increase game difficulty it will look tho, I'm in for child's play or unrealistic game play. 

23 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Very funny though, that's one thing that comes with increasing it's difficulty. But if I don't increase game difficulty it will look tho, I'm in for child's play or unrealistic game play. 

Yeah, I like to play games on the hardest level first. I find that it pushes me to improve the most and I get much better at the game a lot quicker.

Just now, killamch89 said:

Yeah, I like to play games on the hardest level first. I find that it pushes me to improve the most and I get much better at the game a lot quicker.

Yeah, I remembered when I first played GTA 5 at the hardest, even the pedestrians weren't easy for me to push down. Everyone was super boss and stronger lol. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

If you ever get into playing Dark Souls, you will definitely feel the cold chills of how how difficult it gets playing in that level when you switch from either easy or normal ; with most gamers not being able to complete the game. 

I never played this year before, with what you said about dark souls it will be an amazing one to play. How is the difficulty?

Is it hard to play and walk past the enemies? 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:46 PM, Head_Hunter said:

I never played this year before, with what you said about dark souls it will be an amazing one to play. How is the difficulty?

Seriously - I can't really explain well how difficult it is to play and compete Dark Souls. You can only know by trying it out but make sure you brace yourself hard. 

I concur that Dragon Age: Origins is rather liberal with its difficulty. It's part of the reason why I don't like non-d20 based RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which use visible and easily calculable maths. At least when you die to a bear at level one in Baldur's Gate, it's because you can see it did did three attacks between 1-8 damage in the combat log, which is enough to take out anyone who isn't a Barbarian or a Fighter in a single, lucky blow.

Dark Souls isn't so much difficult as it is punishing when you mess up. This doesn't mean it's easy, it still takes practice and attunement to the movement and tells of your enemies. It only becomes 'easy' in a sense when you've mastered the backstab, and/or have a player/NPC doing all the work in boss fights... provided they survive.

The hardest thing about it was adjusting to the idea that you will die, and it's totally expected. I was way too used to the idea that dying meant you were bad at a game, and while there is some merit to that idea, nobody's ever played Dark Souls with dying in obvious or silly ways on their first try.

Edited by Withywarlock

It's definitely something that is very difficult to deal with. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's definitely something that is very difficult to deal with. 

It resembles God of war, I mean the gameplay, I simply love what I saw in the trailer about Dark soul 3. It shows you've been on the gaming industry for long now, lol. 

41 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

It resembles God of war, I mean the gameplay, I simply love what I saw in the trailer about Dark soul 3. It shows you've been on the gaming industry for long now, lol. 

Yeah - it's something that looks similar a little bit but with a difference in the plot. But the fighting mechanics seems related.