Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are there any game genres/types you think should be renamed?

• Action adventure can mean just about anything these days.
  • I've no idea what the difference is between roguelite and roguelike, and I've seen too many variations to trust just about anyone on this.
  • Roleplaying game. If I had a penny for every time I heard "it's a game where you play a role," I'd have exactly 74p.
  • Massively Multiplayer [x]. I don't know what the criteria for 'massive' is anymore, and MMO-Lite seems to be something of a contradiction in terms.

Those're just a few off the top of my head. As for what I'd pick, that's the difficult part. And how do you make it so catchy that people will instinctively use that instead? I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Edited by Withywarlock

4 hours ago, Withywarlock said:
  • Action adventure can mean just about anything these days.
  • I've no idea what the difference is between roguelite and roguelike, and I've seen too many variations to trust just about anyone on this.
  • Roleplaying game. If I had a penny for every time I heard "it's a game where you play a role," I'd have exactly 74p.
  • Massively Multiplayer [x]. I don't know what the criteria for 'massive' is anymore, and MMO-Lite seems to be something of a contradiction in terms.

Those're just a few off the top of my head. As for what I'd pick, that's the difficult part. And how do you make it so catchy that people will instinctively use that instead? I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I agree that Action-Adventure is a rather broad genre nowadays as most games seem to fall under that category. I'd like the to change Battle-royale to cash cow because you have to pay for season tickets, cosmetics and just about every other normal feature.