Register Now
Empire

Would you rather lose the ability to read or lose the ability to speak?

I'd much rather loose the ability to speak, I don't think most people could realistically get through a normal day without reading.  I don't think many people realise how much reading you do during the day.  From browsing the internet, signposts, social media, grocery shopping, browsing through Netflix, using in game menus, operating your phone and a ton of other things.  There are, however, plenty of alternatives to speaking especially if you can still read.

Edited by Crazycrab

Just now, Crazycrab said:

I'd much rather loose the ability to speak, I don't think most people could realistically get through a normal day without reading.  I don't think many people realise how much reading you do during the day.  From browsing the internet, signposts, social media, grocery shopping, browsing through Netflix, using in game menus, operating your phone and a ton other things.  There are, however, plenty of alternatives to speaking especially if you can still read.

Exactly!! You're literally reading most of the time and digesting everything that comes your way once seen. You can be at home all day and not talk to anyone but you can listen and read a lot of things. 

At your workplace where you don't really need to speak much, all you do would be to read and respond to memo sent and other things. I can stay a whole day without saying a word but not sure if it's possible to stay without reading anything in a day. 

Yesterday when I went to visit my college to clear some stuffs out of my head, I met two young and beautiful ladies, unfortunately for them they are dumbed, but that couldn't restrain them from communication, they got understanding because they used sign language to communicate better. I tried to converse with them but couldn't, they mused at me but I couldn't hear the sound because they can't speak. But they write so well, interact with sign language better. 

So, I don't think if someone doesn't speak, their is no means of conversation, since such person can write, learn to use sign language, then the person will move perfectly on conversation. Most people I've met on forums aren't speaking but they can write perfectly, and I interact with them tremendously fine too. For me, if both of them are options for me to choose a single one, then I'll just go for 'being a dumb, but have the ability to write. Because with writing, and using sign language, my communication can never be lost. Their is nothing appealing when I can't write what someone can read and grasp something meaningful from it. Life is worthless that way, because in online, contents matters, that's the best way for communication, just as in VGR. 

Edited by Justin11

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Yesterday when I went to visit my college to clear some stuffs out of my head, I met two young and beautiful ladies, unfortunately for them they are dumbed, but that couldn't restrain them from communication, they got understanding because they used sign language to communicate better. I tried to converse with them but couldn't, they mused at me but I couldn't hear the sound because they can't speak. But they write so well, interact with sign language better. 

So, I don't think if someone doesn't speak, their is no means of conversation, since such person can write, learn to use sign language, then the person will move perfectly on conversation. Most people I've met on forums aren't speaking but they can write perfectly, and I interact with them tremendously fine too. For me, if both of them are options for me to choose a single one, then I'll just go for 'being a dumb, but have the ability to write. Because with writing, and using sign language, my communication can never be lost. Their is nothing appealing when I can't write what someone can read and grasp something meaningful from it. Life is worthless that way, because in online, contents matters, that's the best way for communication, just as in VGR. 

I have tried to learn the sign language but it's wasn't as easy as it appears. One of my cousin makes use of sign and I really want to pick up the basis in the language so we can communicate more often whenever we are around. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

I have tried to learn the sign language but it's wasn't as easy as it appears. One of my cousin makes use of sign and I really want to pick up the basis in the language so we can communicate more often whenever we are around. 

Then you should learn from your cousin that uses the sign language bro. Unless you want to tell me that your cousin is dumb too. Even if he/she is dumb, you can still learn, by watching him/her displaying the signs, chatting with your cousin too about how he/she does it. Definitely your cousin will tell you through writing, and gradually you'll be learning. 

I wouldn't choose any, but for the sake of this thread I would rather prefer losing my ability to read because I know with great consistency and determination I would learn to read again, but speaking isn't a good option.

12 hours ago, Clasher said:

I wouldn't choose any, but for the sake of this thread I would rather prefer losing my ability to read because I know with great consistency and determination I would learn to read again, but speaking isn't a good option.

I love talking, but anything that makes me lose the ability to read and write I'm off bro. Even you too, you wouldn't stay here online to form conversation with any of us. When you're deprived of any of them, you wouldn't regain it again. 

3 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I love talking, but anything that makes me lose the ability to read and write I'm off bro. Even you too, you wouldn't stay here online to form conversation with any of us. When you're deprived of any of them, you wouldn't regain it again. 

That's a pretty valid point - without the ability to read, you basically can't interact with the world in any meaningful way.

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I can't read but I can communicate with people through speaking and I could ask them questions and they could help me interpret the things I can't read and teach me how to read again. Remember as a kid you couldn't read without assistence but as you continued learning now you can do well on your own, as long as the thread didn't include taking away my ability of learning then I could learn how to read again in no time.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's a pretty valid point - without the ability to read, you basically can't interact with the world in any meaningful way.

Sure, I can't cope without the ability to read. I rather lose the ability to speak, because I don't normally speak outside, if you want to talk to me then doing it via social media or communities like VGR is better.