Register Now
The Blackangel

Thinking of going to college. A couple issues. Need advice.

I’ve been thinking about going to college for a while now. What I want to go for is to get a degree in astronomy. I absolutely love astronomy. It’s a passion of mine, and always has been. The only problems are the cost, and how bad I am at the math courses that are required. I want to get a masters degree to start, and maybe later go for a Ph.D with a special study into nebulae.

So considering how bad I am at higher math courses and the fact that I’m flat ass broke, what do you guys think?

I don't know much about astronomy or what kind of job you would get, but I think there is probably a lot of physics involved. I remember taking a physics course and it was the lowest grade I ever got. I made a C in that class. It was interesting, but the math was difficult. And the lab made me look like a retard because I didn't understand a damn thing. Don't even know how I passed. You would probably have to take many physics classes and you definitely have to know calculus in order to do the physics math. And calculus sucks, and I'm sure you would have to take several of calculus courses too. While the field may be fun to you, getting there won't be. Especially if you want a masters or doctorate. And being out of school so long, you would have to take tons of basics before even getting to the good stuff relating to your field. Look up jobs to see what you would want to do and if there is a good field for it. Maybe you can be a professor. Don't want to spend all that money then end up working an office job with a degree making the same as someone without a degree. 

I never had a problem with physics. That wasn’t an issue for me. Math beyond basic math however is. But from what I have been told, that may not be my fault entirely. I tried algebra in high school and failed pathetically. But the problems we were given were things like

(x-2)y solve for Y

And we had to have a number. How the fuck am I supposed to know what the hell Y is? There’s a huge gap of information there. But I also went to a midget school with pure shit “teachers” if they can even be called that. When I was learning basic physics it was during 7th grade, while I was in the gifted program, in a different school district. I hated the gifted curriculum, so I dropped out of it. But it did help fuel my passion for astronomy.

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I never had a problem with physics. That wasn’t an issue for me. Math beyond basic math however is. But from what I have been told, that may not be my fault entirely. I tried algebra in high school and failed pathetically. But the problems we were given were things like

(x-2)y solve for Y

And we had to have a number. How the fuck am I supposed to know what the hell Y is? There’s a huge gap of information there. But I also went to a midget school with pure shit “teachers” if they can even be called that. When I was learning basic physics it was during 7th grade, while I was in the gifted program, in a different school district. I hated the gifted curriculum, so I dropped out of it. But it did help fuel my passion for astronomy.

Algebra was always a strong suit of mine. My mind just clicked to it. I just got the idea that the number is a letter easily. That problem you posted, however, is unsolvable, only half the sum is actually there.

As for the rest, there isn't much I can say as the way further education in America is funded in terms of what financial support can be made available looks quite different to what is available here. All I can say is seek advice from whatever agencies are out there to offer said advice.

10 hours ago, Shagger said:

Algebra was always a strong suit of mine. My mind just clicked to it. I just got the idea that the number is a letter easily. That problem you posted, however, is unsolvable, as only half the sum is actually there.

As for the rest, there isn't much I can say as the way further education in America is funded in terms of what financial support can be made available looks quite different to what is available here. All I can say is seek advice from whatever agencies are out there to offer said advice.

Maybe that's why I failed it so miserably. I knew something was missing and that there was no way to find an answer with the information given. So I just gave up on anything above basic math. I figured I was just too dumb to get it, and moved on to other things. I studied computers and HTML and got to where I built my own computers from spare parts in my electronics class. But then this was the Win98 era.

I don't know if you havethis or not, but we have something here called FAFSA. It stands for Federal And Financial Student Aid. If you qualify, depending on the school you're going to, and the cost of your courses, you could get a decent portion of your education paid for by the government. They don't pay anything for the Ivy's, but they're usually happy to pay for JC. But I would be going to Mizzou, so I don't know what they would cover there.

If you want to overcome your weaknesses in Math, I'd suggest constantly practicing basic Math and working your way up. I know Math naturally clicked with me most times but I also did a lot of practice so that it wouldn't hinder me especially when I was doing A Level Math.

If you live astronomy so we'll, then you should begin learning maths, at least from the basic ones. I never really loved maths back then in high school, that's why I did a different course that required lesser maths and not difficult maths like the algebraic expression, quadratic and simultaneous equations. 

I've considered finding some kind of tutor, to get me started. I'm not particularly bad at math in general, but things like calculus and trigonometry is where I'll need help. Hell, even algebra I would need help.

I have however found an astronomy club here in my town, so I'm going that route for now.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:29 PM, The Blackangel said:

I've considered finding some kind of tutor, to get me started. I'm not particularly bad at math in general, but things like calculus and trigonometry is where I'll need help. Hell, even algebra I would need help.

I have however found an astronomy club here in my town, so I'm going that route for now.

That's a good start and keep practicing, you'll get it eventually.

On 12/2/2021 at 4:29 PM, The Blackangel said:

I hope your astronomy club has been going well and I wish you the best of luck achieving  your goal of getting a college degree in astronomy. 
Here is a really interesting Ted talk about math that I think you would like. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6yixyiJcos

Oh man, I just decided to relax and distract myself with games and the subject came up in my life again. I'm in a similar situation right now and I've been racking my brain trying to find answers to questions about education, but I'm getting nowhere with it.