Register Now
Kane99

Is it easy to game on a virtual machine?

This is mostly just for curiosity. I know that some people use virtual machines to surf the web more safely, and to also have more privacy. Of course I think a VPN would do a better job at the privacy part, but a VM. Anyway, would gaming on a virtual machine work as long as the PC you're using has enough allocated for the VM? Plus to my knowledge, a new VM can be made if any viruses break through, but I don't see that happening. I have no plans to do scam baiting or anything like that. 

Anyway, is it worth it to game on a virtual machine? 

I've never really tried it on VMWare or Oracle Virtualbox but it depends on how much ram and graphic processing you allocate to that particular Virtual Machine but on far more powerful machines it's workable but on average gaming builds, it might really push the limits of your PC.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, Syntax said:

Some games won’t work, dependent on the VM software you are using, and others may have a input lag or a graphical lag dependent on the FPS of the game and how the VM is handling usage of a given GPU.

What if I had a good system that could handle most games? Would it still be laggy if the PC I have is suped up enough?

On 11/29/2021 at 1:45 AM, skyfire said:

I find it overkill. I mean if you have the hardware go with that. Using virtual machine and simulating resources is not good for games performance. 

True, but I figure it would be nice not to deal with possible hackers and such. Or would a VPN be suffice? 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I've never really tried it on VMWare or Oracle Virtualbox but it depends on how much ram and graphic processing you allocate to that particular Virtual Machine but on far more powerful machines it's workable but on average gaming builds, it might really push the limits of your PC.

So it would work if I had a good enough PC to handle it? I figure running a vm will take up resources, but as long as I have the ram and gpu to do it, I could play somewhat fine than? 

On 12/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, Kane99 said:

True, but I figure it would be nice not to deal with possible hackers and such. Or would a VPN be suffice? 

VPN often is enough for most of the games but you never know. nothing is set stone in the security world. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I don't even like making use of the VPN like that. Unless its when I want yo browse private, or in a site that blocks my country's access, and its not for fraudulent purpose. 

Well some nations are banned from accesssing netflix and the games of speciifc type due to cheating issues or some other legal issues. So yeah VPN has market for that. 

It can be surprising how much difference I/O for the VM can make. I had a job where it was to port a big build system to Windows. So lots of I/O. Before sticking the VM on USB3 drive, the host Debian system was brought to its knees by lack of I/O when Windows was building.

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

Well some nations are banned from accesssing netflix and the games of speciifc type due to cheating issues or some other legal issues. So yeah VPN has market for that. 

I got the reason why most persons simply revert to using VPN. Even though it is seen as illegal entry to a site or platform which doesn't permit them due to ban on their country. The citizens have no choice but to access the site and accomplish their aim using VPN. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I got the reason why most persons simply revert to using VPN. Even though it is seen as illegal entry to a site or platform which doesn't permit them due to ban on their country. The citizens have no choice but to access the site and accomplish their aim using VPN. 

So I hope now you get the point of using the VPN. It's not much common unless some game is really banned due to reasons. And VPN would always remain an option in most of such scenarios. 

21 hours ago, skyfire said:

So I hope now you get the point of using the VPN. It's not much common unless some game is really banned due to reasons. And VPN would always remain an option in most of such scenarios. 

Sure, I got the positive side of using a VPN to access some certain sites or platform online, not necessarily using it for malicious activities. 

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Sure, I got the positive side of using a VPN to access some certain sites or platform online, not necessarily using it for malicious activities. 

I think the negative side or anything I guess we can leave that up considering we here only talk in gaming context. 

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think the negative side or anything I guess we can leave that up considering we here only talk in gaming context. 

No problem, I wouldn't go further buddy. Let's keep the gaming discussion going and leave other sort of discussion that is off from the niche here.