Register Now
Kane99

Games that use AI to create a portion of the game

I recently heard that the developers of GTA Trilogy remastered utilized AI to improve on some of the graphics. This is why a lot of the billboards and signs in game have misspelled words, as the AI recreated the best outcome of the image, but it resulted in some words being misspelled or completely changed. So it got me thinking, what are some other games that utilize AI to create a portion of the world or even the story? 

I think it's going to happen soon, because we're already hearing about scripts and stories being created by AI, so the idea of games being made with AI, could be a possible future. I hear right now it's not so great, considering how GTA trilogy went, but it shows that it can work, you just need to go in and correct the mistakes it makes. 

Do you think more games will utilize AI in this way? 

Many games used procedural technology (which we used to call it, before AI become trendy) to generate a ton of their assets. It's not the technology it is how it's used that is the problem. You can give the best tools to incompetent, and lazy people the outcome will be terrible. So I would not blame AI technology in the GTA remastered debacle.

57 minutes ago, m76 said:

Many games used procedural technology (which we used to call it, before AI become trendy) to generate a ton of their assets. It's not the technology it is how it's used that is the problem. You can give the best tools to incompetent, and lazy people the outcome will be terrible. So I would not blame AI technology in the GTA remastered debacle.

Yeah, as @m76 said there are quite a few games that use procedural technology (or more specifically procedural generation) to build environments and place objects within a game world. There even games built up entirely by procedural generation, like No Man's Sky. It is potentially is a very cool Idea as it leaves the potential for a game to be truly limitless when it comes to the size of the environments and what can be found within the game, but of course somebody was going to use it out of sheer laziness like Grove Street Games did on the GTA Trilogy.

I can see how AI can be used for remasters, because it can fine tune things what the AI interprets in its built in memory. It's kind of like how the brain fills in gaps of images that aren't even there, but the brain recognizes it as being there as part of its stored memory. So the brain creates that image for us to interpret. What would be cool is if the AI can use a real world data base of architecture/blueprints/scenery etc. and integrate that into games. Then they can go in and tweak what they want to change it up for creativity. You would be able to build whole environments in however much time it takes for the AI to make it. If tech is fast enough, they can build a city in a day. That is where maybe actual architects come into the gaming world. Because games are getting more and more realistic. I do see problems with AI creating faces because it might actually make a face that looks like someone and that real world person can sue, if the person with that face was some evil villain or something lol. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I can see how AI can be used for remasters, because it can fine tune things what the AI interprets in its built in memory. It's kind of like how the brain fills in gaps of images that aren't even there, but the brain recognizes it as being there as part of its stored memory. So the brain creates that image for us to interpret. What would be cool is if the AI can use a real world data base of architecture/blueprints/scenery etc. and integrate that into games. Then they can go in and tweak what they want to change it up for creativity. You would be able to build whole environments in however much time it takes for the AI to make it. If tech is fast enough, they can build a city in a day. That is where maybe actual architects come into the gaming world. Because games are getting more and more realistic. I do see problems with AI creating faces because it might actually make a face that looks like someone and that real world person can sue, if the person with that face was some evil villain or something lol. 

I think that is the potential future of game development. Instead of hundreds of wage slaves toiling away for months creating assets, now it is possible to just use AI to create something based on a few thousand samples. Literally an infinite source of models.

And this doesn't have to mean there is no creativity to it, as it is still the human who chooses which samples and what parameters to use. But instead of needing a month to come up with a model for a new building it will take 10 clicks and a few hours of processing time. And the best is that you can go through hundreds of iterations, while with human created assets you go through 2 or 3 maximum, because it is not feasible to do more.

12 hours ago, m76 said:

Oh for sure. It makes things so much easier. Games like Minecraft come to mind, because even though it's not much, you get a random built world, and can explore, and build. Soon enough, games will be built that way, where levels will be different each time. Well, It's already happening in games these days, so I figure we're already there. 

Oh I wouldn't blame AI on that either. the AI bit from the remastered trilogy was just to smooth out the graphics, billboards and other such things. They used AI for that because they were too lazy to do all the graphic work themselves lol. But, it shows that it can be done, but there is for sure some more work to do. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh I wouldn't blame AI on that either. the AI bit from the remastered trilogy was just to smooth out the graphics, billboards and other such things. They used AI for that because they were too lazy to do all the graphic work themselves lol. But, it shows that it can be done, but there is for sure some more work to do. 

They didn't have to do the work manually, just check the output of the AI, and adjust the parameters, or touch up those those that came out wrong. But they didn't do any of that. Or worse they saw that it is crap and released the game anyway.

Maybe at some point, but unless there’s some big breakthroughs out of left field, I wouldn’t expect AI to be that good anytime soon. Even the best AIs available now struggle mightily to “understand” things in any sort of context, much less create meaningful new things.

AI can't work smartly than humans, they work base on set of instructions and not what they think, nor feel like doing. I wouldn't think either that AI can build excellent video game. I believe such portion left for AI to build made GTA trilogy to lag.