Register Now
Kane99

How does Epic afford to give away so many free games?

Epic to my knowledge, is the only place that gives so many games away for free, and the great thing about it, is that you don't need to pay anything, there's no Epic Games subscription fee, or requirement of any sort to pay. But, how does Epic afford to give a lot of these games for free? A lot of the games I got from Epic are pretty decent too, they're not slouching. I'm guessing they can afford it by making deals with the developers of said games. Maybe there's some incentive that they'll promote the game or showcase it somehow idk. 

Do you think Epic will ever go to a paid service in order to get the games? Or will they keep it the way it is? 

Well EPIC is heavily VC invested to bypass the american dominated market, they even have funds in Opera browser and now they are giving things away from free so that they can build a market and then dictate the rules like most chinese stores and marketplace do in the world. So giving free while giving exposure to developers serves big purpose. 

They're making deals with the developers of those games. Most of the games being given away are done in conjunction with those developers releasing new DLC/sequels/versions for those games or have been out for a fairly long time and the developers aren't making much money at the moment on them anyway

1 hour ago, Empire said:

They're making deals with the developers of those games. Most of the games being given away are done in conjunction with those developers releasing new DLC/sequels/versions for those games or have been out for a fairly long time and the developers aren't making much money at the moment on them anyway

Some deals with publisher and some deals with direct EPIC. I think that is how I noticed with some of the game dev and the companies.

Micro-transactions is a boost for the epic video game company, which will force gamers shopping through via their in-house store, by offering for items, extra features to coat the character, looking stronger and good looking just like Fortnite. 

Does any one realize free games have game marketplace where users can buy a lot of things for gaming experience. By giving away games for free Epic is trying to build revenue through in-game transactions.