Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you research the best time/order to play DLCs?

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

When you are playing a new game, do you research when to play DLCs, or do you just guess?

I'm not quite sure about your question. Like research when to get the best deals on DLC? Or when to play the DLC? I usually play DLC after I complete the game. Most DLC to my knowledge, works after a game. But I think it also works side by side of the game as long as it's a side story not attached to the main one. Kinda how Red Dead Redemption 1 had the Undead Nightmare, which could have been played before or after the game. I remember Far Cry Blood Dragon, which wasn't even DLC but a standalone game. 

I think most games that do DLC, do it after the game is done, but they sometimes do a different story or time in the main story to not take away from the main story. 

I do, yes, but don't always pay attention or remember when's the appropriate time to begin it. I find most DLC is better played after you've seen the base game, so you know where it fits and what to expect coming out of that DLC. I do the opposite with prequels though; I will always play games in release order rather than chronological, because the prequels are made with an understanding that it will lead up to a game made before it, which wouldn't have known it would see a prequel in the first place.

It's appropriate you ask this now; I've just finished reading the comic book series Preacher, and closely adhered to the guide of which comics to read in which order, and even the more out of place one shots and serials blended in perfectly with the game. The same cannot be said of most game DLCs when played in the most fitting order. I suppose it's because it takes a whole lot more effort to make a DLC - especially standalone - work to bridge two installments of a story than it is a graphic novel.

13 hours ago, m76 said:

I only look into it if it has a story significance. But most DLCs nowadays are not really expanding the story in any meaningful way.

Because the devs failed to add enough contents, improve game-play, graphics before putting up as a DLC.