Register Now
Kane99

Are video games becoming too cinematic?

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

For video games getting to be cinematic means that developers have realized their errors in their ways of making the game. 

That doesn't make sense. Games were only able to take on more cinimatc elements because of advancements in technology. As soon as the technology became available to make this possible (around the mid 90's to the year 2000) gaming embraced it pretty quickly. It's fair enough to question the quality of the cinimatc experiences in those early days, but I don't get what you mean. Whare the error that game developers had to learn from? It's not thier fault the technology wasn't up to snuff, so what actually was the problem?

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

That doesn't make sense. Games were only able to take on more cinimatc elements because of advancements in technology. As soon as the technology became available to make this possible (around the mid 90's to the year 2000) gaming embraced it pretty quickly. It's fair enough to question the quality of the cinimatc experiences in those early days, but I don't get what you mean. Whare the error that game developers had to learn from? It's not thier fault the technology wasn't up to snuff, so what actually was the problem?

In the past, some of these developers were in the error of making games for a single platform instead of making it to be available for different OS. Yeah, I do agree that the availability of technology was a big factor and how slow of them responded to it once it's available should be pointed out as well. 

Ultimately, the issue I have with what @m76 said is simple. It was not true. It was incorrect. And the fact that the statement came from someone who is (and I genuinely believe this) undoubtedly very well versed in gaming was just really strange. He doesn't like Hellblade, he said so himself, so that lead me to the idea that he wanted to tag the game with a usually unwelcome tag to make it look worse to people. The problem I have with that is that it's disrespectful to the community we have here on VGR, we are not that stupid. So either I'm right and @m76 thinks he can manipulate people on this forum to his agreement, or I'm wrong and I've given the guy and his intelligence way more credit than I should have because he doesn't understand what the difference is between a game that is on rails and a game with linear level design. So @m76, it up to you. What was that about?

I really want to know because I @Shagger the person, not the mod, want's to make sense of it.

Edited by Shagger

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

For video games getting to be cinematic means that developers have realized their errors in their ways of making the game. 

Then they should simply seek fresh ideas to develop their games to keep attracting people here long time, and not lose part of their customers due to some bizarre decision making. 

There's always a balance between showing players exactly what you want them to see from exactly the "right" angle and (on the other hand) keeping them immersed but risking them missing an important detail.

Some games work better one way and some another. Some players like one way and some another.

Obviously things can be taken to far when the game jerks control away for a 5 second cut-scene every few minutes, but in general it's a totally subjective preference.

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think in near future more and more video games will become like that. Now that metaverse type of the games are trending the mixture of everything will happen soon. 

Definitely, everything is pushing up to that level and you can't really blame it for that as it's what came with technology today in games.