Register Now
Shagger

Game Cover Art. The Good, The Bad and the F***ing Ugly!

I was inspired to create this thread by something that I saw whilst updating the Free Games with Epic Update Thread and... well... we'll get to that.

Anyway, this is to discuss Video Game Cover Art. What you think is good cover art, bad cover art, interesting, dull, funny or just plain weird. I also want people to say what they think masks good cover art, what covert art needs to do to work. 

Anyway, like I said, I was inspired to create this thread by something that I saw whilst updating the Free Games with Epic Update Thread and seen one of the games upcoming to the service and I have never been more lost for words looking at... quite frankly, anything in my life.

Paradigm.thumb.png.3aa6cbd92dbc8c9dfac0d8a9ec99772d.png

I mean, what the hell am I looking at here? There's sloth with a bleach blond "Trump" parting behind a thumb with a face minus the nose with massive tumours all over it. Somewhere, there is a man with a tranquilizer gun and a big net looking for whoever it was that deigned this nightmare fuel, and we'd better hope that he finds them.

I'll try wash that out with some good box art. Street Fighter 2

969e70ea8d42c9abcd20d964acb40c5c.thumb.jpg.8659e35d8b6ea5f879d0ea3ff3372fc1.jpg

I love this because it's such a good still of action. Ryu has just been knocked over by Blanka, but hasn't landed yet, Chun-Li is extending her leg to counter Blanka, but looking you can't be sure if she'll do so in time. Even the trash can in the background that hasn't quite fallen over really helps add to this image's sense of motion. And look at that sinister grin on Blanka's face, he knows what he's doing! Also, is it just me, or does Blanka's skin look a lot darker than it is in the game? I don't know, maybe they did that because they're in dark ally or something. Either way, it get's the point across. This game is about action, but also something supernatural as well. The detail is great, the shading is incredibly well done with great use colour and negative space.

Another good one would be the original Doom

amvJSmx.thumb.jpg.4966d08d0d391381d3c5b5408b8c211a.jpg

It looks like the cover of an 80's thrash metal album. Enough Said.

Bad ones? Well, other than than Paradigm that I'm just gonna class as bizarre, I'm gonna go for the original Mass Effect

214690-mass-effect-windows-front-cover.thumb.jpg.f3f435389fe6ad83b9f184617c1abadb.jpg

Great game, don't get me wrong, but actually stopping and looking at this box art the fact I'm struggling to think of things to say kind of summarises what's wrong with this. It's uninspired and it's boring. If the words "Mass Effect" could be replaced by the title of a sci-fi B-movie from the late 90's-early 2000's and you probably wouldn't recognise it at first. It's just not distinctive. Unlike the Street fighter 2 and Doom box arts that both inform you and excite you for what's coming in the game, that doesn't sell Mass Effect at all. Yes, the sci-fi theme is nailed down, but what else? It's static, it's dark and it's dull. They play it too safe, really. The future titles improve in this regard, but not by much.

So, let's have your input.

Edited by Shagger

Nice picks. In the case of the Doom one, that sort of imagery is used a lot. It might've been inspired by AirCel Comics' The Walking Dead back in 1989:755861.jpg.40adcd6729f123fe52ec7204ae273a1f.jpg

~

Starting with the weird is Croc! Pau Pau Island, the Japanese version of Croc! Legend of the Gobbos. Japan has some interesting ideas for cover art to say the least, especially in the early days of 3D video games. One such example is this: Croc and his Gobbo friends staring aimlessly juxtaposed on a stock image of an island. Given that the game doesn't feature palm trees, the one they're on can't be Pau Pau Island, because 'Pau Pau' is Japanese for 'Gobbo'.

478465482_CrocPauPauIsland.thumb.jpg.56be4f7a1be67005d0c7b5b016eb5edf.jpg

Next up is my pick for the good. Warhammer: Battle March, back when Games Workshop were still openly interested in Warhammer Fantasy, whereas now they begrudgingly continue their Age of Sigmar line while video gamers continue to enjoy the original IP. Battle March is the original Mark of Chaos game with Greenskin DLC, as shown here where a Warrior of Chaos and Orc Boy are duking it out. Warhammer artwork always shows these close victories between two forces. Who will win this one? The agent of the Ruinous Powers, or the equally chaotic newcomer to the fray?

618190-warhammer-mark-of-chaos-battle-march-xbox-360-front-cover.thumb.jpg.589f06ac05b64d295ef8da24ada54deb.jpg

Finally is the plain ol' bad. Rascal wasn't a good game, and it was below average at best. It's an easy target for the 'meme review format' but its too old to make jokes about that weren't already made themselves. The cover art is one such joke: a boy who's trying to be hip and cool with a plunger gun fending off bubbles filled with angry faces. Is it any wonder it didn't do well?

MV5BYWIyMTdlMzktZWM5My00MmYwLThlMmUtYzE4MTc2YTdhNjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQzMjU1NjE@._V1_.jpg.16681cdaf8245515fd6f8c03d0099c0d.jpg

Those are some cool ones. What is there not to like about that Street Fighter 2 art? Blanka's face is right in the center and if all you saw was his face, it would tell all. 

Doom has that red Mars color and I like how they added that bit of green brain splatter and the one in the front turned around looking at us is creepy. I can see how The Walking Dead may have inspired that. I had no idea The Walking Dead comic was out in 1989 by Aircel. 

Warhammer I have a hard time seeing what's going on there because of the colors I think. I just know I wouldn't want to try to break up that fight. 

Here are some of my pics for the moment. I have always enjoyed the cover art of Days Gone and something about it just screams to me as a favorite. 

Days-Gone-cover-art-1.thumb.jpg.1d69f10588eb02b7875af8ef3f7d4478.jpg

He's just chilling by his bike, his lifeline pretty much. And all that chaos on the horizon, he's just like 'shit I'm ready, let's do this.' It's a beautiful place and can't I have just one moment to enjoy it? 

Next one I've always liked is Dr Muto. I have a fascination with science stuff and this is classic weird science!!!

dr_muto_a.thumb.jpg.7f18724a7222ffea609286b58e778743.jpg

The Simpson's Hit and Run screams chaotic fun!!! That's the art Grand Theft Auto should look like. 😄

The_Simpsons_Hit_and_Run_cover.png.9c68b610986ae112e813722b60dd754c.png

Now for the BAD

Sorry Resident Evil fans. Great series and all, but all the cover art is super basic!!! It doesn't really say much

Resident Evil 8: To me it looks like a face of pain. Is it horror? War? Drama? Psychotic breakdown?

mff9azg6w0b51.thumb.jpg.098d89e95769d3cb2d618e949d24f185.jpg

Resident Evil 7: It's  scary looking house. How many times have we seen a pic of a scary house? It does look creepy, but it doesn't give an essence of a gaming environment. More like, you walk into a house and then what? 

380054-resident-evil-7-biohazard-windows-front-cover.thumb.jpg.916524d0a5864ea0c642a8daa07b1e8f.jpg

Resident Evil 6: That doesn't really look scary to me and looks more like a band of mercenaries going to fight terrorists.

389377-resident-evil-6-xbox-one-front-cover.png.thumb.jpeg.fd9754aa135ae69f97723b7d800336c7.jpeg

Resident Evil 5: They didn't even try with that one

Resident_Evil_5_PS_3_Cover_NTSC.thumb.jpg.2a44e5734b36bc8d5a059d0fac5a47f0.jpg

I honestly think the best logos are the really simple ones, Selling England works perfectly and the simplified Lamb versions are great. Agreed, I don’t like looking at the We Can’t Dance one, but then I don’t like listening to it either so no harm there.

I think Wind and Wuthering is far and away the best cover though, so simple and striking, leaves room for the music to speak for itself.