Register Now
CastletonSnob

Nintendo's consoles vs. Nintendo's handhelds.

27 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

yeah but some of us like to go back and keep playing some of the stuff on older consoles and handhelds. i went to go play a legos game on mine that i can't get on my switch the one day and it wouldn't let me connect to the wifi to update my device and i can't get on and play without the update so it became unusable. 

Gamers wouldn't 100% leave playing on the platform, there will definitely be the minority that's still going to be invested in it but would it be pulling in enough funds for the company to still support it fully? I don't think that's possible and that's why they had to focus more their latest one's (Switch). 

4 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

yeah but some of us like to go back and keep playing some of the stuff on older consoles and handhelds. i went to go play a legos game on mine that i can't get on my switch the one day and it wouldn't let me connect to the wifi to update my device and i can't get on and play without the update so it became unusable. 

I don't think anyone is stopping you, I mean, when new consoles come out, it's not like you're expected to buy them. You can play your old games on your old consoles fine. Just don't buy the new consoles and keep playing your older games. I still play many games on retro consoles, so you can still get life out of those old consoles. 

7 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't think anyone is stopping you, I mean, when new consoles come out, it's not like you're expected to buy them. You can play your old games on your old consoles fine. Just don't buy the new consoles and keep playing your older games. I still play many games on retro consoles, so you can still get life out of those old consoles. 

I think you misunderstood. I want the new ones but I want the option to continue playing on the old ones but I can't now because the no internet thing has disabled my being able to use it. 

5 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

I think you misunderstood. I want the new ones but I want the option to continue playing on the old ones but I can't now because the no internet thing has disabled my being able to use it. 

It's a shame that these companies don't give much consideration for that and it's not only Nintendo that does that as well. Sony with their Playstation are also trying to do the same thing with their Playstation 4. They are planning on not making any new games for the console and it's going to affect so many gamers who can't upgrade to their PS5. 

2 minutes ago, Heatman said:
5 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

It's a shame that these companies don't give much consideration for that and it's not only Nintendo that does that as well. Sony with their Playstation are also trying to do the same thing with their Playstation 4. They are planning on not making any new games for the console and it's going to affect so many gamers who can't upgrade to their PS5. 

Well they can't support the old platforms forever.  Next year marks 10 years since the PS4 came out and most generations of systems stop getting new releases earlier than that.  Like it or not that's just the way it is.

1 minute ago, Crazycrab said:

Well they can't support the old platforms forever.  Next year marks 10 years since the PS4 came out and most generations of systems stop getting new releases earlier than that.  Like it or not that's just the way it is.

Yeah, that's the reality we all have to live with it and it's not like we have any other choice there. It's either you move on with the trend or get stuck in the past with what you have there; limited from the new services. 

It's weird that one day we may never have a gameboy/DS style console again, since Nintendo have their hybrid console going. I think that will be the future of Nintendo. Just newer versions of the switch with updated hardware and specs. 

Honestly, it's kinda sad to see the Gameboy brand just die out. I mean, it kinda died when DS came out, but it's weird to think that we won't have those handhelds anymore. 

But, with the Switch, it's essentially two devices in one. Plus, they're probably making bank on having just one device on the market. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

But, with the Switch, it's essentially two devices in one. Plus, they're probably making bank on having just one device on the market. 

This is practically why most people aren't fussing about it because the company (Nintendo) made sure that we had a good upgrade in Nintendo Switch. It's only an issue for the gamers who didn't or couldn't purchase Nintendo Switch or even the Lite version of it. 

On 7/23/2022 at 6:35 AM, Crazycrab said:

i will still be bummed out about it. 🤣

Nintendo handhelds are by far my favorite.

This most recent Nintendo switch OLED version is one of the best handhelds have seen in a while and you could detach and play with the controller separate from the screen for multiplayer games.

3 minutes ago, Clasher said:

Nintendo handhelds are by far my favorite.

This most recent Nintendo switch OLED version is one of the best handhelds have seen in a while and you could detach and play with the controller separate from the screen for multiplayer games.

I cut off playing video games on my smartphone down to 90% and it's simply because of the existence of Nintendo handhelds. They are the biggest thing that happened in the video games industry in a very long with Nintendo Switch leading the forte. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

I cut off playing video games on my smartphone down to 90% and it's simply because of the existence of Nintendo handhelds. They are the biggest thing that happened in the video games industry in a very long with Nintendo Switch leading the forte. 

My smartphone is already too busy at the moment to also be laddened with the responsibility of housing my video games , so whenever I am in need of some handheld video gaming experience my Nintendo handhelds serves the purpose efficiently.

I even stopped playing fortnite on mobile and just stuck to the PS4 version for now.

8 hours ago, Clasher said:

My smartphone is already too busy at the moment to also be laddened with the responsibility of housing my video games , so whenever I am in need of some handheld video gaming experience my Nintendo handhelds serves the purpose efficiently.

I even stopped playing fortnite on mobile and just stuck to the PS4 version for now.

My Nintendo Switch is doing the job for most of my handheld game playing now and it's doing so well. It's only a few of my mobile games that are still on my smartphone especially World of Warships. 

I never had Fortnite on my smartphone. It's a game too big for smartphone for me. 

On 7/23/2022 at 6:27 AM, Heatman said:

And those things aren't cheap either. I don't wanna get them because once they decide they're done with it, then I've wasted $500 on something I can no longer use? I'm sorry but that seems like an awful thing to force gamers to do. This is an expensive hobby and they should be more respectful of the time and money we put into it. 

On 8/20/2022 at 6:54 PM, runswithspatulas said:

And those things aren't cheap either. I don't wanna get them because once they decide they're done with it, then I've wasted $500 on something I can no longer use? I'm sorry but that seems like an awful thing to force gamers to do. This is an expensive hobby and they should be more respectful of the time and money we put into it. 

Yeah, you're right about how these gaming companies are making our beloved gaming an expensive hobby which wasn't that way years ago. It's what we have come to face today and they are certainly not going to stop at it.