Register Now
CastletonSnob

Nintendo's consoles vs. Nintendo's handhelds.

2 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

An interesting fact about the Nintendo switch handheld games was that it consists of quite a lot of games one could choose from and play. It never gets old to me and I would still love to own one. With the dope release of Nintendo switch lite which could is an on the go gaming console for your maximum Gaming experience and also good for kids.

With 200$ you can get the Lite version of the switch, such investment is shrewd kind of investment, because you'll reap more than you spent in getting the Nintendo switch lite. 

11 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

With 200$ you can get the Lite version of the switch, such investment is shrewd kind of investment, because you'll reap more than you spent in getting the Nintendo switch lite. 

I don't really mind putting that amount in a game, as long as I derive satisfaction and pleasure playing the games. I once spent $250 to get a new gaming chair and wall lights to put in my gaming room just to get the whole place lit and appealing to be in. 

7 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

I don't really mind putting that amount in a game, as long as I derive satisfaction and pleasure playing the games. I once spent $250 to get a new gaming chair and wall lights to put in my gaming room just to get the whole place lit and appealing to be in. 

That's interesting to hear friend, which shows you've been gaming for some time now, and it seems your life depends on gaming, for you to spend in the region of 250$ for a gaming chair and wall lights. 

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

That’s factually incorrect. The handheld systems made by Nintendo only have a fraction of the games in the NES’s library. The Switch is a gray area , but I’m not counting it. Also you have to consider the SNES library, while smaller than the NES library, is still vastly bigger than any handheld device from Nintendo. The library of games offered on the DS series was actually quite small. Even the Game Boy (not GBA) had a bigger library than the DS.

Are you talking about the amount of games or the quality or maybe i'm missing something else?

I was just referring to the overall quality and diversity of games you have on nintendo handhelds vs their consoles counterparts, like i said their is something for everybody, you diden't have that until the wii came out. Also If you ask me i'll take the original gameboy over the Nes anytime a day, i know most people hold the nes in high regard but we all had master systems over here. 

If you're talking about the amount of games i'll agree on nes and snes well if you consider worldwide games i think europe got a little over 400 games which less then the original gameboy did, but the gba had atleast 900 games released in europe to like what 450ish for the gamecube, if my number are off i'm sorry european and american region games aren't really my expertise, i know japan got had 286 released for the gamecube which is even less.

I think you underestimate how good the ds did, a quick google search led me to 1253 physical games released in north america, wherest the wii had 1262 released in north america, well what you know it's almost the same.

When you compare the amount of 3ds games to wii u physical games, i think it's a no brainer the 3ds had more physical games.

In my oppion you can build atleast a ds collection with 300 games that are ranging good towards masterpiece status, wherest with the wii i don't know maybe 100-150 games at most that are must own games. Either way it's not that important because what i like you aren't going to necessairy like and vice versa.

Edited by Yaramaki

The Wii flat out sucked, in my opinion. I don't have the interest of getting into a debate with anyone on it, regardless of their thoughts on the system.

That out of the way, the NES had 716 officially licensed cartridges released on it, that could legally bear the "Nintendo Seal Of Approval" logo on them. But you also have to take in the fact, that a large number of them were multi-game cartridges. That fact alone puts the number of games well over 1,000. There were also games that were released that, while Nintendo couldn't in good conscience put their stamp of approval on them, they had no problem with them being on their system. Like bible games for instance. Then you could also count ROM-hacks made by the fans. Hell, I found a copy of FF7 on an NES cartridge on eBay and snatched it up quick. As for the quality, the NES had the most original and unique games of any system. That is a point that will be argued by many people here, as well as anywhere in the gaming community, but it is something that can't be ignored. To some (like me for instance) it is bone hard fact. To others, it's merely an opinion. There are games on the NES in which the style, and in some cases, the subject matter hasn't been attempted since. Unless you can point me to a sequel to A Boy And His Blob.

With the DS, I'm not saying it was a bad console. But you have to consider how many iterations of it there were before you start counting the games. It is like the Game Boy in that regard. Many versions, many games. New versions mean more games. But you also have to consider the number of oversized franchises like Harry Potter and LOTR being brought to mainstream attention. Those games have been made, remade, made over, and made again. Star Wars falls into that trap too. If you ask me, there are too many of some of these games. So that skews the number widely. Granted the DS has several thousand games, which pretty much dwarfs any other system on the market. But the DS has grown and changed since its beginning. The amount of games initially released for the first version, was very low. But the design of the system in the way it worked, has only been rivaled by the Switch when it comes to handheld systems. From the numbers I've seen, 300 games on the DS is only about 10% of the number of games that have been released over the years, through all of its versions and iterations.

So while the DS may have the biggest library, it still isn't able to rival the impact the NES had when it launched and still has today. Many people shop for library size, some shop for preferred systems, some shop by genre, others shop by reviews, and others still just shop for quality regardless of age or system. If I only shopped by genre, I would never have played RDR2 a single time. Because up until that, it was all fantasy games for me. I had never been into western games. Custer's Revenge was the one that destroyed any interest for me.

I'm not trying to downplay anyone's opinion or preference. To each their own. I'm simply pointing out a few things that I feel should be acknowledged. Nothing more, nothing less.

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The Wii flat out sucked, in my opinion. I don't have the interest of getting into a debate with anyone on it, regardless of their thoughts on the system.

That out of the way, the NES had 716 officially licensed cartridges released on it, that could legally bear the "Nintendo Seal Of Approval" logo on them. But you also have to take in the fact, that a large number of them were multi-game cartridges. That fact alone puts the number of games well over 1,000. There were also games that were released that, while Nintendo couldn't in good conscience put their stamp of approval on them, they had no problem with them being on their system. Like bible games for instance. Then you could also count ROM-hacks made by the fans. Hell, I found a copy of FF7 on an NES cartridge on eBay and snatched it up quick. As for the quality, the NES had the most original and unique games of any system. That is a point that will be argued by many people here, as well as anywhere in the gaming community, but it is something that can't be ignored. To some (like me for instance) it is bone hard fact. To others, it's merely an opinion. There are games on the NES in which the style, and in some cases, the subject matter hasn't been attempted since. Unless you can point me to a sequel to A Boy And His Blob.

With the DS, I'm not saying it was a bad console. But you have to consider how many iterations of it there were before you start counting the games. It is like the Game Boy in that regard. Many versions, many games. New versions mean more games. But you also have to consider the number of oversized franchises like Harry Potter and LOTR being brought to mainstream attention. Those games have been made, remade, made over, and made again. Star Wars falls into that trap too. If you ask me, there are too many of some of these games. So that skews the number widely. Granted the DS has several thousand games, which pretty much dwarfs any other system on the market. But the DS has grown and changed since its beginning. The amount of games initially released for the first version, was very low. But the design of the system in the way it worked, has only been rivaled by the Switch when it comes to handheld systems. From the numbers I've seen, 300 games on the DS is only about 10% of the number of games that have been released over the years, through all of its versions and iterations.

So while the DS may have the biggest library, it still isn't able to rival the impact the NES had when it launched and still has today. Many people shop for library size, some shop for preferred systems, some shop by genre, others shop by reviews, and others still just shop for quality regardless of age or system. If I only shopped by genre, I would never have played RDR2 a single time. Because up until that, it was all fantasy games for me. I had never been into western games. Custer's Revenge was the one that destroyed any interest for me.

I'm not trying to downplay anyone's opinion or preference. To each their own. I'm simply pointing out a few things that I feel should be acknowledged. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very well, i know i shoulden't post when i have nothing decent to say but damn the above post has left me speechless and that rarely happens ,diden't expect such a detailed response, thank you for taking the time to speak your mind. 

Like i'm not going to defend the Ds it's still a great system however 75% of the games released on it are just shovelware garbage or kids games, besides i'll take the PSP over the DS anytime a day. 

On 5/13/2022 at 4:57 PM, The Blackangel said:

Their handhelds have come with features and abilities that others simply couldn't match. Sure the PSP could watch movies. I don't know much about PS Vita, so I'm ignoring that one for now. But some of the games that Nintendo offers have been classics and fan favorites for 30+ years. And the ability to take them with you when you're on the go, has always been a huge draw. Now with the Switch, not only do you have thousands of games at your fingertips in the eShop, but you can also download things like Hulu and YouTube. The last true home console that they put out was the Wii in 2006. While it sold like wildfire, once people got a full taste of it, the interest waned considerably. The Wii U afterwards, was a failure at a hybrid system. But through failure, we learn. They looked at what they had done wrong, and worked to fix it so that when the Switch was released it was a huge success.

You just gave a good explanation, handheld games is made for convenience and with a good battery charge you can take your favorite games anywhere and still enjoy a wonderful gaming experience. Home consoles are limited to a set at home and you can't take that along with you on vacations , road trips or the sort except on some really special occasions or scenarios.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, Justin11 said:

That's interesting to hear friend, which shows you've been gaming for some time now, and it seems your life depends on gaming, for you to spend in the region of 250$ for a gaming chair and wall lights. 

My life doesn't depend on just gaming, but when you have that extra cash, you should make yourself happy with your favourite entertainment, that's just what I'm doing around video games. 

Honestly, I love both so it's difficult to really pick my favorite because I have so much memories with most of Nintendo's Consoles and Handhelds. The only one I didn't like was the WII because quite frankly it sucks and had lackluster games.

This may be the reason why they came up with the Switch.  You can do both with it.  You can play it at home or you can take it with you.  I have liked each one of their consoles for different reasons (both handhelds and home consoles). 

It's Nintendo. Their handhelds sell because they're fairly priced, have huge libraries of games from first to third party titles, and idk, they're mostly simple handhelds that work as intended. Plus I imagine their handhelds were easy to develop games for, and that brought in a lot of third party devs. 

Once the DS came out, with that second screen, it pushed Nintendo even further I think. Isn't the DS or DS Lite one of their top selling consoles period? 

I think it's kinda even with how their consoles sell vs how their handhelds sell. Well aside from the Wii U, and maybe the gamecube and even the N64. If I remember correctly those didn't sell as we expected. The Wii of course succeeded because of its gimmick. If that console was just a console, it wouldn't have sold as well, because the console itself wasn't close to what the 360 and PS3 had hardware wise.  

But yeah, I honestly don't know. The Switch is selling like crazy, and since it's a hybrid console, it is perfect for them. And it's fairly priced imo and the games look great on it. Now if only they can produce another Switch with better hardware, that'd be interesting to see. Maybe the dock can increase the processing power of the console to play more advanced games. But in handheld mode maybe it takes the graphics down a notch. 

3 hours ago, JennyorAlice said:

This may be the reason why they came up with the Switch.  You can do both with it.  You can play it at home or you can take it with you.  I have liked each one of their consoles for different reasons (both handhelds and home consoles). 

My attachment to Playstation consoles wouldn't let me switch to Nintendo consoles no matter how good they might look. It's why I had to work with Nintendo Switch as a way to still have a connection to the Nintendo brand. 

i like the flexibility of the newer handhelds. they can either be handheld or some can be plugged into the tv so u can play like u would on a regular console. the only thing i didn't like about my wii was never being able to establish a decent internet connection. i like the fact that i can play games online with friends and be able to communicate through voice chat about the gameplay or just every day discussions. it's fun and it's nice to have the companionship. plus the cheaper price is nice. i don't see any point in spending $500 or more on a console anymore. i do wonder if you get the hulu on your switch if you can use the same acct you have on the pc?