Register Now
Yaramaki

RTS games for beginners? Preferably available on consoles

I want to get back into the genre as i haven't played an Rts games in like 10 years. What would be some good real time strategy games to begin with, i'm kind of looking for something that is a more laid back experience.

So what are some noob friendly rts games avaible on console? 

Edited by Yaramaki

There's not a whole many Real Time Strategy (RTS) games on console to begin with, but here's a quick list:

• Halo Wars (Xbox/PC exclusive): made with controllers in mind, Halo Wars takes place prior to the mainline games when the Spartan initiative was still around. There's more to it than its famous Warthog Rush strategy, with units that are quite customisable and have no small amount of uses in the great open maps.
  • Starcraft II: One of the last big pushes for RTS on console, Starcraft 2 is as vanilla as they get: a story easy enough to follow, loveable characters and instantly recognisable and memorable troops and mechanics.
  • Warhammer: Battle March: The precursor to Total War: Warhammer, a reverse-engineered 'tactical RTS' that focusses on more intimate squad play in small linear maps and progression. Keep your units and upgrade them between battles to advance through the story of the Empire, Warriors of Chaos and the Greenskins (with some Skaven and Dark Elves thrown in).

I can't speak to Command & Conquer, I've never played the games myself but I've heard nothing but good things about them. And if you're playing on PS2, Goblin Commander was an alright game but I don't remember much else about it.

Look at call to arms. There aren’t really heroes, and no base building, other than weapon emplacements, but it’s rts, and you can go into first person with any character on your side. I love it. It’s modern combat, but they are beta testing a ww2 one that is quite similar, except there is only 3rd person, not first. Unless you enter a tank I believe. Or use a scoped weapon.

I must admit, I really don't like playing these types of games on console, so maybe I'm not the one to give advice on this. However, if there is an RTS game that plays well on console, I'd look into Xcom. I know it's not what you were asking for, but some there are some JRPGs that might scratch that itch as well.

Ohyeah i forgot about xcom good call.

I've been thinking about getting crusader kings 3 but not sure it seems really too deep for my taste as i'm afraid i woulden't have a clue what would be going on, also where would i even get the time to master it. Rust is another one i've always want to try, i should probably hold off until i can get them for cheap.

How is civilization vi is it noob friendly? i've got a copy sitting sealed on my shelf so might aswell start with that one as i remember having a good time with civilization revolution on the 360.

Overall guess i'm more the build up a city and manage it type of person, something ala Tropico and Cities skyline. Not really sure if those can be even classified as rts games, i'd personally would put these under management sims, but list on google tell me otherwise.

Edited by Yaramaki

1 hour ago, Yaramaki said:

How is civilization vi is it noob friendly? i've got a copy sitting sealed on my shelf so might aswell start with that one as i remember having a good time with civilization revolution on the 360.

CIV games are as complicated as you make them; military routes are the most straight forward but trying to achieve the space race, economic or religious victories are where you'll find hurdles. They are turn-based too so you get to take your time with developments, and it's not like a single turn can ruin your game.

I'll think on management sims for consoles in the meantime.

There are a whole list of them and the best RTS games are on PC though. 

1. Lord of the rings: battle of the Middle Earth

2. StarCraft 2

3. Age of Empires II: Definitive edition

4. Homeworld: Deserts Of Kharak 

Just to mention but a few.

2 minutes ago, Heatman said:

There are few of them which I can recommend and they are the following ;

1. Sudden Strike 4

2. Iron Harvest 

3. Frostpunk 

4. The Valiant 

I never played iron harvest but my folks were usually talking about it a lot. Maybe I just didn't consider it would interest me as much as they say it would.

3 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I never played iron harvest but my folks were usually talking about it a lot. Maybe I just didn't consider it would interest me as much as they say it would.

It's a good one with RPG elements in it which took place in a unique dieselpunk universe of the 1920's. The gameplay gives an insight into an alternative European history where men used their knowledge to build powerful machines used for agriculture and battles. 

1 minute ago, Heatman said:

It's a good one with RPG elements in it which took place in a unique dieselpunk universe of the 1920's. The gameplay gives an insight into an alternative European history where men used their knowledge to build powerful machines used for agriculture and battles. 

Okay, that's clear enough is it in anyway similar to Age of Empires IV if you have played both?

1 minute ago, Heatman said:

I haven't played any of the Age of Empires series yet. How good is it? 

Well, Age of empires a really good real-time strategy video game spanning from the stone age and iron age covering over 1000 years of human history. My favourite game off the series would be Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.

10 hours ago, Clasher said:

Well, Age of empires a really good real-time strategy video game spanning from the stone age and iron age covering over 1000 years of human history. My favourite game off the series would be Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.

That's interesting to hear. I'm not new to playing real-time strategy video games. Let me look into it and see if it's something I'd like to play. Maybe when I'm done with a few reviews on the game, I will decide what to do.