Register Now
StaceyPowers

Does gaming help anyone here who has dissociative issues?

Does anyone else here have dissociative mental health issues? If so, does gaming help you?

I realized the other day that I start dissociating almost immediately whenever I try to do something I want. Imagining doing something often feels more real than doing it. But since game worlds are sort of in-between, I can interact with them without dissociating, so they feel real and easy to connect with. Anyone else observe this?

As someone who has dealt with depression and anxiety I agree. I like playing them but I'd say they can polarize my mood. At best if things are bad I can ignore it for hours. At worst I stop playing mid session and dwell on the fact I'm playing video games when I could be doing something else and suddenly I'm 10 times worse than before. I think it also depends on the game. If I'm playing something I'm actually invested in, the time spent feels more "worth it" than if I'm just booting something up because I want to play a game but dont actually know what to play.

Honestly, I can't say I have suffered such an issue. I guess it's because you probably like gaming a lot so you'll tend to want to focus more whereas tasks that you may not like doing but have to do anyways, you'll dissociate from it (just a theory, not a definitive answer).

If you have never suffered from depression or been very close to someone who's been suffering from depression, it's going to be very difficult for you to have a full grasp of what dissociative mental health issue feels like. My immediate cousin that I have lived with have been there and it's not something nice to deal with. I'd say gaming works a considerable charm for him on that but not always. 

I don't think have that myself. I get comfort from gaming, and relaxing in a fake world. But I don't think I have a dissociative issue or condition. idk. I looked it up, and it seems like it's more about people having issues connecting the dots on reality. That's my take on it. Because I guess people who do have a dissociative condition, are often day dreamers, or people who have active imaginations. That's what I got from a brief search, so don't quote me on any of this. 😄

But in all seriousness, I would say I fantasize about a lot in my head, but I think the issue with people dealing with dissociative disorders, is that they may believe what they are fantasizing about? 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't think have that myself. I get comfort from gaming, and relaxing in a fake world. But I don't think I have a dissociative issue or condition. idk. I looked it up, and it seems like it's more about people having issues connecting the dots on reality. That's my take on it. Because I guess people who do have a dissociative condition, are often day dreamers, or people who have active imaginations. That's what I got from a brief search, so don't quote me on any of this. 😄

But in all seriousness, I would say I fantasize about a lot in my head, but I think the issue with people dealing with dissociative disorders, is that they may believe what they are fantasizing about? 

A lot of symptoms and signs have been tagged to dissociative mental health issue which are ; Anxiety, Depression, Delusion, Disorientation, Drug abuse, Alcohol abuse, and Memory loss.

Looking at dissociative mental health issues literally, one might thing that it's something that's not serious but it's as serious as they come because when you have to battle with having multiple personalities to deal with, you can't even guarantee your own safety. 

When I play videogames I am actually in a totally different sphere of existence as I go fully immerse into watch I am doing on the screen, after a couple of minutes when I am done playing a video game for hours a part of me still feels like I am still in that video game.

It actually helps to forget some certain pressing issues for a few minutes and reboot and after that I am totally ready for whatever is going to come.

Video game is not some form of escape for me but another way I like to experience the world.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:07 AM, Kane99 said:

I think "dissociative issues" is a pretty broad category. In my case, it's more like part of me is frequently "switched off" internally, and also like the world is "far away" or "not real" or on the other side of an invisible glass barrier (this used to give me panic attacks a lot). I also feel like I myself am kind of "transparent"--like I am long-deceased, and existence is a strange, here-but-also-not mystery.

These issues are reduced while gaming. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

A lot of symptoms and signs have been tagged to dissociative mental health issue which are ; Anxiety, Depression, Delusion, Disorientation, Drug abuse, Alcohol abuse, and Memory loss.

Looking at dissociative mental health issues literally, one might thing that it's something that's not serious but it's as serious as they come because when you have to battle with having multiple personalities to deal with, you can't even guarantee your own safety. 

Yeah I'm not sure, that's why I have no clue what to really say on this. From what I read, it's still more to do with the way your think, and how fantasies play into it. But I'm probably wrong on how it all works and maybe dissociative disorders are just general anxieties and other such things. But don't quote me on that, as I'm probably wrong on all of this. I'm still quite confused. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I'm not sure, that's why I have no clue what to really say on this. From what I read, it's still more to do with the way your think, and how fantasies play into it. But I'm probably wrong on how it all works and maybe dissociative disorders are just general anxieties and other such things. But don't quote me on that, as I'm probably wrong on all of this. I'm still quite confused. 

I feel for anyone who's suffering from any sort of mental health issues because I know very well that it's never something easy to deal with.

So, whatever they can do, even if it's getting soaked up in any particular activity which helps them to get better, I will always support them.

It's why whenever I wake up everyday and look at myself, I have everything to be happy and grateful for.