Register Now
Kane99

What are your favourite gaming memories from the past?

On 8/12/2022 at 1:06 AM, Justin11 said:

That's cool, lots of things did during the early stages of life will not continue to interest you as you make advancements in age. I've come to move on from certain video game addition, I don't place bets playing with a fellow gamer, but I'll still entertain the Konami cup when I see good peers around. 

Yeah, for most people when they get older, then they get wiser. The betting on wrestling games was a things for kids amongst us. It was fun, I'm not going to lie about it because we all lose some and win some. I have never done that as an adult now. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, for most people when they get older, then they get wiser. The betting on wrestling games was a things for kids amongst us. It was fun, I'm not going to lie about it because we all lose some and win some. I have never done that as an adult now. 

Even some adults today stake on wrestling games, because they're passionate about such kind of game. I am not passionate about wrestling nor boxing events, that's why I did not participate in it during mu childhood. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Even some adults today stake on wrestling games, because they're passionate about such kind of game. I am not passionate about wrestling nor boxing events, that's why I did not participate in it during mu childhood. 

I would rather stake on Football games than on Wrestling because Wrestling is all scripted. How can you bet on a scripted event? It's not a good decision at all but if it's football, you have 50% chance of winning or losing. 

One of my other favorite gaming memories, was back playing my nieces and nephews in video games when they were too young to play. Instead of giving them a controller that is plugged in, I would play and make them think they were playing. It always works when they're young enough, but it's also fun when they realize you haven't been plugging it in and they start to catch on. Fun times. 😄

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

One of my other favorite gaming memories, was back playing my nieces and nephews in video games when they were too young to play. Instead of giving them a controller that is plugged in, I would play and make them think they were playing. It always works when they're young enough, but it's also fun when they realize you haven't been plugging it in and they start to catch on. Fun times. 😄

You see @Kane99, I did that a lot when I was with my cousin. He can be a serious pain whenever I want to play with my brother, so we devised that means to blindside him.

The picture below is a perfect description of what we did to him. 2103583716_images(24).jpeg.f2c7c13f3161cc6b829f5ed0890564ad.jpeg

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

You see @Kane99, I did that a lot when I was with my cousin. He can be a serious pain whenever I want to play with my brother, so we devised that means to blindside him.

The picture below is a perfect description of what we did to him. 2103583716_images(24).jpeg.f2c7c13f3161cc6b829f5ed0890564ad.jpeg

Yup exactly. We did this a lot for the young kids who wanted to play, but couldn't grasp how to really play. It worked for a while, but they would often catch on eventually. But in a way it's like a right of passage to be a gamer. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Owning my first ever gaming device was like a dream, I didn't expect it coming and I got it from my cousin who encouraged my gaming lifestyle. That was how my video game journey started, my first love 'gameboy inspired me alot. 

Same here. I remember wanting to get a Sega Genesis forever when I was a kid. Bugging my dad to get one until he finally got us one for Christmas. I had a nes before it, but the genesis was the first console bought for my brother and I. And it was special for us. Then we got a PS1 for another Christmas and that too was pretty special. 

I get that feeling everytime I buy a new console. But it's not 100% the same as it was when we were kids. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Same here. I remember wanting to get a Sega Genesis forever when I was a kid. Bugging my dad to get one until he finally got us one for Christmas. I had a nes before it, but the genesis was the first console bought for my brother and I. And it was special for us. Then we got a PS1 for another Christmas and that too was pretty special. 

I get that feeling everytime I buy a new console. But it's not 100% the same as it was when we were kids. 

That's true, the feeling when you started an adventure is different when you've settled down. That's to say, I found it so loving when I got my first gaming device as a kid, I think such kind of feeling is in every child due to the fact we never expected it. 

18 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yup exactly. We did this a lot for the young kids who wanted to play, but couldn't grasp how to really play. It worked for a while, but they would often catch on eventually. But in a way it's like a right of passage to be a gamer. 

The funny part would be when we shout in celebration, he would jump up shouting too without knowing he's been played 😂. It was a perfect feeling getting his problems checked out. But you're right, it didn't work forever as he later caught up one day. 

On 8/10/2022 at 9:16 PM, Justin11 said:

That's pleasant to hear Heatman, you've reminded me of my good old days as a kid. Me and my peers will go on with Konami cup competition, with our respective customized team with star studded players looking for the champion of the day. We do put monetary reward to it to encourage good play. I ended winning such tournament once in about 15 attempts. I couldn't forget how happy I was to lift my only Konami cup, cos I was the least expected to win it back then.  

It was 2K WWE Games that I had the same experience with my friends. There was no way I was going to play alone or waste my time playing against AI. It's not fun because most of the time, I would have them beat easily. 

I have lots of great emotional memories from playing and replaying (several times) the Mass Effect trilogy, particularly the third one. But I would like to bring up a memory I had from another Bioware game, Dragon Age: Origins. I really loved the scene with Leliana's Song, especially because of the context it was in. It wasn't just a great song full of emotions, but it was a funeral hymn meant to pay tribute to the dead. This scene took place right after the Brecilian Forest main quest, when you had to confront the elven leader and pretty much put him down. There was a hard decision to make there, even though it was pretty obvious that the leader was in the wrong, and so it led to one of many possible outcomes where people would die or sacrificed "for the greater good." Even in the most positive outcome, it was more of a bittersweet moment where people still had to die to reach the peaceful eventuality, so Leliana's funeral rite honoring that carried with it a lot of weight, and the cutscene really emphasized just how much everyone else was affected by the heavy emotional burdens they had to carry as well going on their quest. You can see how almost everyone was upset by the song, especially Morrigan. It wasn't a happy little quest they were on; it was one of sacrifice and bloodshed.

That moment has always stuck with me in gaming history because man, that was the peak of my gaming experience, when I've truly enjoyed the journey of a game so thoroughly. I don't think there were any game that has done that for me on the same level for the past 5-6 years. Spiritfarer was the most recent one that came close, and before that, it was Detroit: Become Human, but neither of those felt like the epic emotional journey that was Dragon Age: Origins and the Mass Effect trilogy (which is reasonable, considering they're considerably smaller games, even DBH).

In terms of what the OP described though, the kind of memory where it's less about the game content and more about my own personal life interacting with games, I'm afraid I don't really have any other favorite memories outside of what I mentioned above, because most of my gaming memories as a kid were rather lonely ones where I was playing the Gameboy on my own. I was a rather secluded kid who never got along with many people, so there weren't really a lot of colorful memories I could think of, aside from having my Gameboy Color and Pocket stolen on two separate occasions during Primary and Secondary school (respectively), along with all my Pokémon cartridges. That's more of a memory I would prefer to forget.

I do remember getting my first gaming console, but I'm pretty sure that was a cheap knock-off of N64 or SNES that runs those "cartridges" with a compilation of other games like Super Mario Bros., Contra and Elevator Action in a single cartridge. I used to stay up all night playing those games. I was easily addicted to gaming. But again, not a lot of fond memories there because I never really got along well with my parents enough, and they just felt like parents who shut their children up by buying them things without putting in the emotional support. I would exchange all my consoles and Gameboys in the world for some good parenting, if you know what I mean. But I digress.

But yeah, most of my fond memories came from single player journeys, especially RPGs where you could shape your characters' journey through an emotional story like DBH. DBH was just such a unique and amazing game for me at the time, containing so many paths and endings dependent on not just QTE successions but also whom you talk to and what you talk about. It made the experience feel really personal, like I got to play a part in writing the story to my liking and decide how I want it all to play out.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, Heatman said:

Why is this so relatable? I used to do this to one of my younger cousins who stayed with us when we were teens.

On 9/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, Heatman said:

It was 2K WWE Games that I had the same experience with my friends. There was no way I was going to play alone or waste my time playing against AI. It's not fun because most of the time, I would have them beat easily. 

No way man, those kind of games are best enjoyed with friends. Their is no way I can start a Konami cup playing with AI opponents alone, or playing 2k games with same AI, real human battle is more competitive.