Register Now
Nebulous

How old to start gaming?

I wouldn't encourage that either, I prefer boarding school, so he wouldn't be close to the home and thinking about video game. Video games can ruin his education because he'll be thinking about his current games when learning is going on. 

16 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

i'm not a parent but i think every child deserves to be a kid and play outside with friends before they become video game junkies. problem is there aren't many if any other kids outside playing.

The world changed very fast. I can remember very well during our days as kids, we had lots of outdoor playing activities to engage in. Our parents literally have to drag out home and even flog us. But kids nowadays are glued to their games and be indoors all day while eating a lot of junk food without exercising. 

4 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

yeah. too bad. i get why they like the video games but they should go have a life first.

This is why my parents made sure to have my kid bother in the school's football team. It gives him more time to be involved in more life activities than being at home cooked up in his room playing video games. It's not that he doesn't play but it's got limits. 

On 8/17/2022 at 9:36 PM, Justin11 said:

My dad sees video game as children's thing, he doesn't near the controller, i loves watching me and my siblings playing PES back in the days. I usually ask him to play he doesn't get in at all, that interest wouldn't show up anytime soon around gaming for my dad. 

A lot of parents do, but they're just old and don't know any better haha. 

I want to get my dad to try something like the newer Gran Turismo games. I kinda want to get him a racing setup, with a racing wheel and brakes, and maybe a gaming chair as well. I think he'd have a blast playing some of the popular racing games with a racing wheel. 

20 minutes ago, Ajibusu said:

As early as 7, a child should start playing games and the reason is to make their thinking fast and active. There are a lot of popular games for kids which they can play while learning a lot from it.

7 is a good age to start, but I think there are many who start younger. I believe I started when I was 3 and I got my nephew to start gaming around 3 or 4 I'd say. He didn't learn how to play until around 7 and up though, so maybe that's the best time they retain their gaming skills.

2 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

As early as 7, a child should start playing games and the reason is to make their thinking fast and active. There are a lot of popular games for kids which they can play while learning a lot from it.

As long as the kids at 7 years old are playing the right video games, it's going to impact on them positively. Where there's always a big struggle is when kids at such young age aren't being monitored with what they are allowed to play, that messes up entirely everything for them. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Nebulous said:

Children enjoy video games.

How old should a child be before he or she is allowed to play video games?

Actually a great topic,

I feel gaming can build a great adult depending on what games you get involved in at an early age. If it wasn't for games I def wouldn't be who I am or where I am today and  I will surely throw my children into MMORPGS and single player Sim style/age of empire games from an early age.

Ofc they will have books and documentaries thrown down their throats too. < edit changed "though" to "too"

EOS

Edited by Empire Of Sight

25 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

my only issue is the 5 yr olds that are playing shooters. i don't think they should be exposed to that at such a young age. it shouldn't be considered normal for them. jmo

Honestly now adays you would have to completely monitor your child / restrict them from anything connected to the internet, television , phones etc if you wanted to keep them away from violence, guns, murder, drama, sex, or really anything a child should probably avoid. Me and all my friends grew up playing band of brothers style games, 007 and countless other games that involved killing each other. The issue is the combination of the current society and these games/ other related things which breed a risk factor.

I remember my youngest brother had a name "A 5 year old" on games so whenever he would kill you online it would say "you've been killed by a 5 year old", or "you've killed a 5 year old" and it was the most comical thing ever. Especially on world of warcraft XD