Register Now
Nebulous

How old to start gaming?

On 8/13/2022 at 1:14 AM, Withywarlock said:

Whenever their parents decide they can, it's none of my business. As a former child myself though I was playing video games at around the age of 3 or 4, playing a rather unhealthy amount of frustrating games from Super Star Wars to the Super Scope's unreliability (it was an early light gun, you can't expect much from it; well, at the time you could because it cost a fortune). I'd like to think that were I to introduce my hypothetical children to video games they'd be at an age where I can get them to play responsibly: a certain distance from the screen with a set amount of time, and looking after the systems they're playing on.

This is the fourth time I've had to ask this morning and I can only hope this helps with your further contributions to the forum @Nebulous, but what age do you think video games are acceptable to play, and why?

Now that I think about it - my parents used to make me play games like Mortal Kombat and Manhunt as a kid. They didn't see any problem with the amount of violence in the two mentioned titles. I personally think age 3 or 4 is a good age to start but make sure the child does it in moderation. As for what is acceptable, I'd probably start them off with something a bit more subtle like Ratchet & Clank and not Duck Hunt like my dad did lmao.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Now that I think about it - my parents used to make me play games like Mortal Kombat and Manhunt as a kid. They didn't see any problem with the amount of violence in the two mentioned titles. I personally think age 3 or 4 is a good age to start but make sure the child does it in moderation. As for what is acceptable, I'd probably start them off with something a bit more subtle like Ratchet & Clank and not Duck Hunt like my dad did lmao.

A good call, I can just imagine that conversation between a father and son. 

"Daddy! Why do feel weird when I look at that doggy?"

"Hey sonny boy. Don't worry about my boy, that's feeling's called a bloodlust fever. You may one day also encounter a mushroom that tells you The Princess is in another castle, so you had best get used to this feeling."

6 minutes ago, Shagger said:

A good call, I can just imagine that conversation between a father and son. 

"Daddy! Why do feel weird when I look at that doggy?"

"Hey sonny boy. Don't worry about my boy, that's feeling's called a bloodlust fever. You may one day also encounter a mushroom that tells you The Princess is in another castle, so you had best get used to this feeling."

The irony of this whole thing is that my dad loved animals so this confused me even more.

9 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

A good boarding school is what you should also consider. Kids nowadays even find ways to go to game houses when they are supposed to be in their hostels. So, ensuring that the school have a plan in place to regulate such an act is very important. 

China have already made that provision for their educational system. They have added video games to their school curriculum. Soon, we would see them getting it to kindergarten levels too. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

China have already made that provision for their educational system. They have added video games to their school curriculum. Soon, we would see them getting it to kindergarten levels too. 

Oh wow, I grew up in the wrong generation I guess. Schools teaching kids to game, damn. I was this close, like 10-20 years off from making it into something like this lol. But yeah, this is our future. More people will be making games and software, so I can see more schools around the country/world trying to implement their own schooling for video games. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh wow, I grew up in the wrong generation I guess. Schools teaching kids to game, damn. I was this close, like 10-20 years off from making it into something like this lol. But yeah, this is our future. More people will be making games and software, so I can see more schools around the country/world trying to implement their own schooling for video games. 

Yeah, it would have been something for us to take part in, I'm sure that most of us would be thrilled about it but Naah that's not going to be happening with us 😂

The most crucial thing that they need to do would be having the game's on the curriculum fit the child's age. It's the only way it's not going to be harmful to their development. 

On 8/30/2022 at 12:36 PM, Ajibusu said:

A good boarding school is what you should also consider. Kids nowadays even find ways to go to game houses when they are supposed to be in their hostels. So, ensuring that the school have a plan in place to regulate such an act is very important. 

Yes, a good boarding school with tighter security protocol will restrict the act of addictiveness in school children. I know some boarding schools have game periods, at least the kids can make use of such allocated time to play games and keeping it simple and not being addictive. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, Justin11 said:

Yes, a good boarding school with tighter security protocol will restrict the act of addictiveness in school children. I know some boarding schools have game periods, at least the kids can make use of such allocated time to play games and keeping it simple and not being addictive. 

If the school makes provision for such games, there will always be a structure on how students are going to have access to the game. If that's not done, it's definitely going to affect the kids in a very negative way. 

On 9/10/2022 at 8:48 PM, Heatman said:

If the school makes provision for such games, there will always be a structure on how students are going to have access to the game. If that's not done, it's definitely going to affect the kids in a very negative way. 

I believe the kids will be controlled by the school management, they wouldn't exceed their boundaries. When it is time to stop and do important stuffs, definitely the school management will pend all gaming activities for them to face their studies and not being distracted by video games. 

35 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

I believe the kids will be controlled by the school management, they wouldn't exceed their boundaries. When it is time to stop and do important stuffs, definitely the school management will pend all gaming activities for them to face their studies and not being distracted by video games. 

Having a timetable for the gaming sessions will most likely have everything under control. It's how every other subjects are taken care of and regulated by the academic system of the school. 

My cousin brother who's just barely 3 years of age have started learning how to play games on my smartphone. It wasn't possible at my age. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Having a timetable for the gaming sessions will most likely have everything under control. It's how every other subjects are taken care of and regulated by the academic system of the school. 

My cousin brother who's just barely 3 years of age have started learning how to play games on my smartphone. It wasn't possible at my age. 

Schools have such routine timetable, they follow the timetable to make sure everything is worked out accordingly. Their is time for games and sports, during my secondary school time, it was just like that as well. The time for games and sports are used mainly for games and sporting activities. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Schools have such routine timetable, they follow the timetable to make sure everything is worked out accordingly. Their is time for games and sports, during my secondary school time, it was just like that as well. The time for games and sports are used mainly for games and sporting activities. 

I really wished we had video games in our curriculum when I was still a kid. It would have made it easier for my parents to embrace playing video games as being healthy for kids and it would have made me start playing video games openly early. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:28 PM, Heatman said:

I really wished we had video games in our curriculum when I was still a kid. It would have made it easier for my parents to embrace playing video games as being healthy for kids and it would have made me start playing video games openly early. 

That alone would've motivated your parents supplying all your gaming equipments. My parents doesn't joke with my school needs back then in secondary school. As long as gaming is part of the school curriculum, they could've given me all that I needed to get going with video game at school. 

59 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

That alone would've motivated your parents supplying all your gaming equipments. My parents doesn't joke with my school needs back then in secondary school. As long as gaming is part of the school curriculum, they could've given me all that I needed to get going with video game at school. 

Yeah, I had to do a lot of hide and seek when I started playing games for a long time before it was very obvious to them that I should be allowed to get into playing games.