Register Now
Kane99

The scariest enemies, npcs and characters in video games

What would you say are some of the scariest enemies, characters, npcs in video games? This can include bosses as well. For me, I'd have to say just about everything in the Silent Hill Series up to probably Silent Hill 4, and maybe P.T. Most other games I'd say are pretty tame with the characters and not many other games come close to the monsters in Silent Hill 2 for example. 

What are some of the scariest you remember? 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:
  • Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
  • Xenomorphs (Alien Isolation)
  • High Lord Wolnir (Dark Souls 3)
  • The Crones (Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
  • Legion (Castlevania: SOTN)
  • The Great Serpent (Sekiro)

I second pyramid head. Main reason why, is because of him slowly stalking you in Silent Hill 2, and then finally facing off against him. I don't remember, but do you ever face him 1 on 1 where you have to kill him? I remember when I played I only got to the point where he follows you in the room with the water. I think you just have to evade him during said mission. I watched a lets play for the rest of the game, but I don't remember if you actually fight Pyramid Head later or not. 

4 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I second pyramid head. Main reason why, is because of him slowly stalking you in Silent Hill 2, and then finally facing off against him. I don't remember, but do you ever face him 1 on 1 where you have to kill him? I remember when I played I only got to the point where he follows you in the room with the water. I think you just have to evade him during said mission. I watched a lets play for the rest of the game, but I don't remember if you actually fight Pyramid Head later or not. 

You mean when you first encounter him in that room and you have to be running from corner to corner and the bad camera angles made it even scarier? To top it all off, he disappears in the water but stairs - like what the hell? I remember playing it as a kid and I almost shat my pants.

The Alien in Alien Isolation. Five months after completing it and that God damn thumping of feet still freaks me the hell out. Also, regenerators from Resident Evil 4 get an honorable mention. Their movement and sound are bad enough, but that you have to stand still and pull up a scope to kill them while they shuffle towards you really pushes them into nightmare territory.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:55 PM, killamch89 said:

You mean when you first encounter him in that room and you have to be running from corner to corner and the bad camera angles made it even scarier? To top it all off, he disappears in the water but stairs - like what the hell? I remember playing it as a kid and I almost shat my pants.

Yeah exactly. The scene where the water was draining and you had to go down the steps to get away from him. But you had to wait for the water to clear enough, otherwise you'd be trapped in that spot. I also remember a scene where he's in a hallway and you can stare at him behind bars. And of course the cutscene you see him killing the mannequins. 

10 hours ago, Empire said:

The Alien in Alien Isolation. Five months after completing it and that God damn thumping of feet still freaks me the hell out. Also, regenerators from Resident Evil 4 get an honorable mention. Their movement and sound are bad enough, but that you have to stand still and pull up a scope to kill them while they shuffle towards you really pushes them into nightmare territory.

I can't push myself to play this game. I heard the Alien AI is really OP and can be a pain the in the ass to get through. Also the many jump scares. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I can't push myself to play this game. I heard the Alien AI is really OP and can be a pain the in the ass to get through. Also the many jump scares. 

Frankly, after a certain point, it just becomes repetitive and it didn't really scare me so much as being an annoying jump-scare. It was an interesting and well-done concept for an Alien game, but I wasn't as impressed by it as everyone else.

17 hours ago, Empire said:

Regenerators from Resident Evil 4 remains top on my list. You can't stand not being shaken when you play that part at first. So, it is understandable for most gamers too.

On 9/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah exactly. The scene where the water was draining and you had to go down the steps to get away from him. But you had to wait for the water to clear enough, otherwise you'd be trapped in that spot. I also remember a scene where he's in a hallway and you can stare at him behind bars. And of course the cutscene you see him killing the mannequins. 

Pyramid head is a different kind of creepy - I just can't put my finger on it. I've seen so many scary npcs in videogames but he always tops my list with the insane stuff he always does and so nonchalantly too.

On 9/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Kane99 said:

Just like Aliens in the movie they adapt to your tactics so you can't really hide in one place to get away from them every time as by the third attempt they'll know exactly where to find you. I wish AI in more games was as intelligent and adaptable as this.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, Akun said:

Frankly, after a certain point, it just becomes repetitive and it didn't really scare me so much as being an annoying jump-scare. It was an interesting and well-done concept for an Alien game, but I wasn't as impressed by it as everyone else.

Yeah I have a feeling I would feel the same way if I played it long enough. I hear the AL is a little OP at times, where it can just get annoying at times. And I imagine if you're getting caught a lot, it's going to get very repetitive. 

On 9/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, killamch89 said:

Just like Aliens in the movie they adapt to your tactics so you can't really hide in one place to get away from them every time as by the third attempt they'll know exactly where to find you. I wish AI in more games was as intelligent and adaptable as this.

A very good example of what you talked about in how aliens adapt is well illustrated in Predator movies and the recent Prey that was released last month. If games AI gets to that level of intelligence, it's going to make games more interesting.