Register Now
Nebulous

Food allergies?

I have a cousin who is allergic to nuts. If she eats any, or something is cooked in peanut oil, her throat closes tightly and she is unable to breathe. She carries an epipen with her everywhere she goes, but still has to be rushed to the emergency room.

As for me personally, I thankfully have no food allergies that I'm aware of. I'm a big time foodie, so if I was allergic to something, it would most likely be hell.

One of the things that still has me confused is that on a can of planters there was this warning: "This product may contain nuts."
It was on a Snickers bar as well.

Ummmmmm............... Thanks for the fucking heads up you dumbasses.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:54 AM, The Blackangel said:

I have a cousin who is allergic to nuts. If she eats any, or something is cooked in peanut oil, her throat closes tightly and she is unable to breathe. She carries an epipen with her everywhere she goes, but still has to be rushed to the emergency room.

As for me personally, I thankfully have no food allergies that I'm aware of. I'm a big time foodie, so if I was allergic to something, it would most likely be hell.

One of the things that still has me confused is that on a can of planters there was this warning: "This product may contain nuts."
It was on a Snickers bar as well.

Ummmmmm............... Thanks for the fucking heads up you dumbasses.

Nut allergy is actually a rather common food allergy and there are people out there stupid enough to eat a product containing nuts and they're allergic to it but chose to eat it anyways and claim they didn't know it had nuts in it. I know it sounds stupid but I've actually seen this happen before...more than once...

11 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

That's a new one to me. I've honestly never heard of this. But then again, I've never really looked into it either. I guess anything that exists can be allergic.

What happens to you guys if you drink?

This is pretty much me in a nutshell

It's technically not an allergy, but since everyone mistakenly calls it one, it's just easier to say it is.

Certain ones affect me more than others, but I haven't really deciphered which ones do better or worse. I can still drink, but I don't do it often because of the body reactions.

Sometimes I get red in the face very quickly, and people think I'm already hammered, and I'm only half a beer in.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, The Blackangel said:

That's a new one to me. I've honestly never heard of this. But then again, I've never really looked into it either. I guess anything that exists can be allergic.

What happens to you guys if you drink?

I mean, I have heard of it before since my mother works in health but I've yet to encounter such a person in real life.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, Grungie said:

This is pretty much me in a nutshell

It's technically not an allergy, but since everyone mistakenly calls it one, it's just easier to say it is.

Certain ones affect me more than others, but I haven't really deciphered which ones do better or worse. I can still drink, but I don't do it often because of the body reactions.

Sometimes I get red in the face very quickly, and people think I'm already hammered, and I'm only half a beer in.

You should check if you have yeast overgrowth in the body - that may also be a contributing factor. It's quite a common thing and even though modern medicine tries to downplay it, it's been around since ancient times.

I am not allergic to any foods myself that I know of, I can't eat really spicy foods due to having issues with my stomach after having my gallbladder removed back in 2014 but other than that, nothing that I am allergic to. 

My daughter however, we have found out over the years that she is allergic to pineapple and also kiwi fruits so we have to make sure she avoids those. 

Same as the previous poster, I am not aware than I am allergic to any foods or drinks. I can't eat spicy foods but this is mostly because my tounge feels like it's on fire which would result in me screaming and making a fool of myself in public. I know there are common food allergies like nuts for example, and most schools will ban children bringing in anything with nuts incase it sets of another child. 

12 hours ago, Bizdustry said:

I can't eat spicy foods but this is mostly because my tongue feels like it's on fire

I LOVE spicy foods. I actually eat jalapeño's, habañeros, and dried chili's as candy. Everything I eat has to have something spicy on it.

If you ain't sweating, you ain't eating!

On 9/27/2023 at 4:31 AM, Kim Winchester said:

I have a slight allergy to mint and I am lactose intolerant.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone being allergic to mint, I honestly did not realize it was something you could be allergic to. They do say you learn something every day though.