Register Now
Kane99

Amazon to publish Crystal Dynamics next Tomb Raider game

You heard that right, Amazon is going to be taking over the publishing duties for Crystal Dynamics next Tomb Raider game. It will be multiplatform, and it'll be made under Unreal Engine 5. Previously it was Square Enix who was publisher, but it looks like they've decided to move on from them. 

And we all know how Amazon wants to get more involved in publishing games, so this could be a big deal for them. 

Source - https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/12/15/amazon-games-will-publish-crystal-dynamics-next-tomb-raider-game

If CD is still making the game, I don't see it being much different to the previous trilogy. While the publisher does matter when it comes to games, it depends on how much they interfere with the developers vision for a game. I'll wait to reserve judgement. It might not be as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

22 hours ago, Shagger said:

We already knew the publishing rights to Tomb Raider were sold by Square Enix, and stupidly so. And given it's still the same developer, for better nor worse I don't expect much to change.

I agree - I don't see much changing.

20 hours ago, Smokey said:

If CD is still making the game, I don't see it being much different to the previous trilogy. While the publisher does matter when it comes to games, it depends on how much they interfere with the developers vision for a game. I'll wait to reserve judgement. It might not be as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

To be honest, I just expect a solid experience - nothing spectacular. Just solid...

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I just expect a solid experience - nothing spectacular. Just solid...

Pretty much. Tomb Raider never had anything to prove being extraordinary. Just be a solid game with a half decent story.  TR was always more about the exploration anyway.

I'm actually pretty encouraged by this.  It seems that the first game in the rebooted series didn't meet Square Enix's expectations in terms of sales (even though it did very well) they seemed to gradually loose interest in it.  They did that timed exclusive BS with Rise of the Tomb Raider to make back some mere money and Shadow of the Tomb Raider was barely publicised at all.  I think having a new publisher will help restore some of the lustre which is what I want to see because I think these games are fantastic. 

It's incredibly wild that after going through the trouble of purchasing both Crystal Dynamics, and the Tomb Raider IP, Embracer wasn't willing to fund the next game on their own. I can't begin to understand why they bothered to buy the old Eidos assets, if they're not planning on using the most valuable pieces.

On 12/15/2022 at 11:51 PM, Shagger said:

We already knew the publishing rights to Tomb Raider were sold by Square Enix, and stupidly so. And given it's still the same developer, for better nor worse I don't expect much to change.

I still don't get that move. Tomb Raider may have been struggling, but it's still a hugely popular franchise that if done right, could be a huge franchise for them again. But now Amazon has their hands on it. 

I think Amazon will want something impressive from Crystal Dynamics, and I hope they finally deliver something good again. I liked the first Tomb Raider, but the rest just felt like the same old stuff with nothing impressive added. 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, killamch89 said:

Same here honestly. I enjoyed the first game of the rebooted series, but the second and third game felt like they added nothing to it. They were fun for a while, but I didn't feel impressed by it. Also I don't think I paid any attention to most of the story to most of the games. 

On 12/18/2022 at 4:43 PM, Kane99 said:

Same here honestly. I enjoyed the first game of the rebooted series, but the second and third game felt like they added nothing to it. They were fun for a while, but I didn't feel impressed by it. Also I don't think I paid any attention to most of the story to most of the games. 

I also did prefer the first game over the other two that followed - As for Amazon making Tomb Raider great again...Yeah, I'm not sure because Amazon has done poorly with their release. As long as Amazon doesn't really interfere, the game should turn out above average.

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I also did prefer the first game over the other two that followed - As for Amazon making Tomb Raider great again...Yeah, I'm not sure because Amazon has done poorly with their release. As long as Amazon doesn't really interfere, the game should turn out above average.

I think it was because everything was the same, extended over from the previous game. Which is fine, cause the Batman Arkham series did it. But I think where Tomb Raiders sequels failed, they just didn't draw me in to the story or characters. I probably skipped cutscenes with how boring the story was. I may have tried to pay attention to some of it, but there were time I just tuned out too. 

Amazon would just be a publisher. I think Amazon is the type of company that wouldn't push a developer to finish in a certain timeframe. I think if Crystal Dynamics have the freedom to work on their game, without any risk of being forced to change something or go back and re-write something. I like when studios can make their art in a time they feel comfortable with, so that when it is released, it's the best possible game it can be. 

It comes down to Crystal Dynamics too to make something fun and unique. I don't recall if Square Enix ever made them crunch to get the game completed. I always felt like the Tomb Raider games came out after a good while, so I don't think there are any horror stories about crunch or any bad work practices for having to meet a street date or something. 

So we'll see how things go.