Register Now
Smokey

Is an i9 processor overkill for gaming?

Do you think an i9 processor is overkill for gaming? I'm not sure as I never used an i9 processor, at least not yet, but I never had much issue on a high-end i7 processor for most games. Do you got an i9? Is it overkill? Just right? Or needed for the future? Do you think the i5 will eventually be phased out for PC gaming? 

It's hard for me to say as I haven't even been able to use an i7 nevermind and i9 but everyone seems to be raving about the i9 so it must be good I would have thought. Personally I don't see myself getting a PC with an i9 for a long time due to the price not matter how great it may be and if an i7 works just fine for newer games that would be my go to for now. 

4 hours ago, Shortie said:

It's hard for me to say as I haven't even been able to use an i7 nevermind and i9 but everyone seems to be raving about the i9 so it must be good I would have thought. Personally I don't see myself getting a PC with an i9 for a long time due to the price not matter how great it may be and if an i7 works just fine for newer games that would be my go to for now. 

Yeah I agree. I think if the price difference between an i7 and an i9 is too high i'd stick with the i7. If it's a matter of a couple hundred bucks ($200 or less) then I might splurge for the i9 on my next gaming laptop. It all depends on the price for such an upgrade I suppose, or if the i9 is coming stock w/ the prebuilt ones available at Best Buy or not. 

i9 = overkill

Even the i7 is kind of overkill for most people, the i7 12700 is within a few FPS. Even the i5-12600 is not far away. Games dont relay use many cores, it's just down to speed. I suspect a OC will almost equalise all the intel stack in 90% of games.  If you're not doing any creative work or multithreaded work, the i9 definitely is overkill for you. If you're looking to edit videos etc. it might have some value, but even then the i7 12700k is more than enough to handle most video editing purposes.

If you're just looking for price to performance for gaming, you might want to look at AMD. The 5800X3D is still the best value high end CPU there is for gaming. It even outperforms some of the 13th gen Intel CPUs, according to Intel themselves. The only problem with AMD is that Ryzen 5000 was their last generation of zen 3, meaning you wouldn't be able to upgrade much further in the future without having to swap at least your motherboard and RAM with it.

On 1/4/2023 at 7:15 AM, Empire said:

i9 = overkill

Even the i7 is kind of overkill for most people, the i7 12700 is within a few FPS. Even the i5-12600 is not far away. Games dont relay use many cores, it's just down to speed. I suspect a OC will almost equalise all the intel stack in 90% of games.  If you're not doing any creative work or multithreaded work, the i9 definitely is overkill for you. If you're looking to edit videos etc. it might have some value, but even then the i7 12700k is more than enough to handle most video editing purposes.

If you're just looking for price to performance for gaming, you might want to look at AMD. The 5800X3D is still the best value high end CPU there is for gaming. It even outperforms some of the 13th gen Intel CPUs, according to Intel themselves. The only problem with AMD is that Ryzen 5000 was their last generation of zen 3, meaning you wouldn't be able to upgrade much further in the future without having to swap at least your motherboard and RAM with it.

Just for the enthusiast in me, I'd probably get an I9. I'd like to see for myself how far I'd be able to push it and a high-end GPU in very demanding games.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Just for the enthusiast in me, I'd probably get an I9. I'd like to see for myself how far I'd be able to push it and a high-end GPU in very demanding games.

Yeah. but like I also mention that the CPU that you got now, whatever it is? can be able to OC and able to puch as much as you can 🙂 and then see what you can get out of it. I have seen last gen CPUs able to OC far more better and higher speeds then the gens that they ahve going now XD 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:12 AM, Empire said:

Yeah. but like I also mention that the CPU that you got now, whatever it is? can be able to OC and able to puch as much as you can 🙂 and then see what you can get out of it. I have seen last gen CPUs able to OC far more better and higher speeds then the gens that they ahve going now XD 

To be fair, overclocking in modern times isn't as promising as 10 years ago. The gains you get from overclocking is negligent and most people don't overclock their CPUs anymore. As a matter of fact, undervolting seems to be way more popular nowadays.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:43 PM, killamch89 said:

To be fair, overclocking in modern times isn't as promising as 10 years ago. The gains you get from overclocking is negligent and most people don't overclock their CPUs anymore. As a matter of fact, undervolting seems to be way more popular nowadays.

Yes and no, depanding what you are doing or wanted to do. OC allows me to get to 5.1ghz that being said some of the games do not like it. Another is stable to be able to run the system as stable as you can. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:51 AM, Empire said:

Yes and no, depanding what you are doing or wanted to do. OC allows me to get to 5.1ghz that being said some of the games do not like it. Another is stable to be able to run the system as stable as you can. 

The I9s for this year's gaming laptops are absolutely insane. Some of them are like 24 cores and 32 threads which is a huge improvement for most gaming laptops because just two years ago, the high-end ones only got like 8 cores and 16 threads.

On 3/14/2023 at 8:55 PM, killamch89 said:

The I9s for this year's gaming laptops are absolutely insane. Some of them are like 24 cores and 32 threads which is a huge improvement for most gaming laptops because just two years ago, the high-end ones only got like 8 cores and 16 threads.

Also the price can be more and double 😜 But then you got to look at cooling... they can run higher at times. I'm no gaming laptop person anyway.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:33 AM, Empire said:

Also the price can be more and double 😜 But then you got to look at cooling... they can run higher at times. I'm no gaming laptop person anyway.

With what I do, it tends to be a necessity. I also want to go back to travelling a lot more so a gaming laptop would keep me entertained on the go.

An i9 processor may be overkill for gaming if you're not doing heavy multitasking or content creation. An i7 should be sufficient for most games. Whether you need an i9 or not depends on your specific needs and budget. The i5 may not be phased out completely for PC gaming, but it might become less common as more demanding games are released.