Register Now
Shortie

Did you own a Kinect?

Kinect was something that Microsoft released for their Xbox that would allow you to play games such as their sports games, Just Dance games and so forth. I remember the Kinect being really well done but it would have it's issues when picking people up and you would need a lot of space for the Kinect to work properly.

Did you own a Kinect for your Xbox 360 or Xbox One? How did you find using it and what games would you use it for?

Yes, we had 2 because when me and my brother each bought our xbox one consoles, they were forcing them on people. It was a cool gimmick for maybe 10 minutes, then It got kinda annoying if I'm honest. The audio quality of the built-in mic was garbage and the idea of 'being watched' constantly is enough to creep someone out. 😛  What if someone was doin' the deed? Eh? Eh?! 😛 

21 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Yes, we had 2 because when me and my brother each bought our xbox one consoles, they were forcing them on people. It was a cool gimmick for maybe 10 minutes, then It got kinda annoying if I'm honest. The audio quality of the built-in mic was garbage and the idea of 'being watched' constantly is enough to creep someone out. 😛  What if someone was doin' the deed? Eh? Eh?! 😛 

Yeah I will admit the thought of it being active all the time was worrying. I only ever had it plugged in if my kids were using it for a game and then it would get unplugged after that until they wanted to use it again. Was very skeptical about it being on all the time and being active all the time, it did seem a little weird. 

I never owned one myself, but my sister had one and I would play with my nephew when I would babysit him. I liked it for its workout possibilities, but for gaming otherwise, I didn't feel like it did a whole lot for us. Sure there was some good games that utilized the kinect voice options, but I felt that's all it had going for it. Also I kinda wanted to mess around with one on PC to see if I can do anything fun with it. I hear that's where it shined the most. 

On 12/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, Kane99 said:

I never owned one myself, but my sister had one and I would play with my nephew when I would babysit him. I liked it for its workout possibilities, but for gaming otherwise, I didn't feel like it did a whole lot for us. Sure there was some good games that utilized the kinect voice options, but I felt that's all it had going for it. Also I kinda wanted to mess around with one on PC to see if I can do anything fun with it. I hear that's where it shined the most. 

I never actually tried it on PC myself. I only tried it on Xbox and as much as it was good, it was never very accurate and could be frustrating to find enough space for it to even work, it seemed like you needed way too much space and being that most people have their consoles in a living room, that would have caused a problem. I am curious now though just how much better it was on PC over the Xbox. I wonder if it was anymore accurate?

On 2/4/2023 at 5:21 PM, Shortie said:

I never actually tried it on PC myself. I only tried it on Xbox and as much as it was good, it was never very accurate and could be frustrating to find enough space for it to even work, it seemed like you needed way too much space and being that most people have their consoles in a living room, that would have caused a problem. I am curious now though just how much better it was on PC over the Xbox. I wonder if it was anymore accurate?

Same. I want to try it out, because I think you can connect it with some apps, and I'm curious to see what crazy things you can do with it. I doubt it's a lot, but maybe there's some fun graphical work you can use it for, or creating fun things out of it at least. 

Also I think you can use it as a webcam. 

If I ever see a Kinect in the wild for cheap, I'll pick one up and see about finding some PC apps and software to mess around with. 

On 2/6/2023 at 7:01 AM, Empire said:

I have not but It would be interesting to see if someone could develop VR and a better motion tracking system. Would be insane in costs though.

Not sure if you could use Kinect with VR. But I think it would be cool. Could have been another way to control the game if you want your hands to be free. I'm sure some modders could figure out a way to utilize Kinect for VR. 

I did own one! I didn't really use it besides 2-3 times, and then just stopped using it. I am sure I'm not the only one where this had been the case, though. I forgot what games I played since it has been so long ago. 

Did anyone own the second Kinect that released alongside the Xbox One? I remember it originally came bundled with launch consoles, but it soon took Kinect out and stopped shipping them. 

I wonder if Kinect 2 is worth getting to mess around on PC. How better is Kinect 2? 

2 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Did anyone own the second Kinect that released alongside the Xbox One? I remember it originally came bundled with launch consoles, but it soon took Kinect out and stopped shipping them. 

Nope, I never did own one around that time period. I dunno if it is worth it or not nowadays or not. I honestly didn't get an Xbox One till a bit later when they stopped shipping them with the console.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:01 PM, Kane99 said:

I have never though of trying it on PC when I had it, I just felt like it was too unrefined for that.

Let me tell you a little story about two games. One of them is EyeToy: Antigrav for the Playstation 2, released in 2004. The other is Sonic Freeriders for the Xbox 360 Kinect released in 2010. They are both games about riding a hoverboard while using your body to control the action. I'll give you one guess at which one of them functions better. 

I'm not saying the Kinect is directly to blame for Sonic Freeriders being an unplayable mess, there are definitely some Kinect games that work a lot better, but overall I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of the Kinect. 

The Kinect was nothing more than Microsoft trying to challenge the Wii's motion control capabilities. They felt that they would lose copious amounts of money if they didn't do something. But considering how much interest in such controls waned, it was pretty pointless. I got sick of it after only a few months. Yes, they did release regular controllers, but in my case, the damage was done and I had absolutely no interest anymore. The only game I truly enjoyed with the motion control was Mario Kart. I would have enjoyed Twilight Princess if it wasn't so damn overdone.