Register Now
Smokey

Portable versions of home consoles?

Some very talented people out there have the know-how to make a home console into a portable one, although some of these 'portables' are often large as well, but still portable. Have you seen any of these being shown off on youtube? Which home console would you like a portable version of?  

Myself? I'd love to get a portable Dreamcast, I know they sell them on AliExpress. I might pick one up in the new year just to have it as it looks really cool IMO and the Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time.

Portable_Dreamcast.jpg

It's interesting how rare it actually is for game companies to do this officially. I know of the Sega Nomad that was basically a portable version of the Megadrive/Genesis;

640px-Sega-Genesis-Nomad-Console-01.jpg.4332f2ebd5da68b53d41e77f9492f64c.jpg

And of course we have the Switch which serves as both a portable and home console in one, but other than that I can't actually think of any official portable game console that was a version of a home console. Why haven't more game companies done this?

I have always seen portable consoles that are made by fans for games such as DreamCast but I can't think of any off hand that are official if I am honest. I would love to see a portable Xbox if I am honest but I don't see that happening any time soon or at least I haven't seen any fans make one at the moment. I guess with them having the cloud gaming being able to game on phones and tablets is one way of it being handheld but it would be awesome to have something that is actually portable and like the Xbox controller. 

46 minutes ago, Shortie said:

I have always seen portable consoles that are made by fans for games such as DreamCast but I can't think of any off hand that are official if I am honest. I would love to see a portable Xbox if I am honest but I don't see that happening any time soon or at least I haven't seen any fans make one at the moment. I guess with them having the cloud gaming being able to game on phones and tablets is one way of it being handheld but it would be awesome to have something that is actually portable and like the Xbox controller. 

A portable xbox would be cool to see. I think Ben Heck made a portable 360 laptop-style one once, but it isn't exactly 'portable'.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:51 PM, Smokey said:

A portable xbox would be cool to see. I think Ben Heck made a portable 360 laptop-style one once, but it isn't exactly 'portable'.

Yep - it's definitely not portable. On the other hand, there's a portable version of the Xbox Series S.

If the screen had a built in battery to power the Xbox then yeah that would be cool . I'll just pay for gamepass membership and play on my galaxy Zfold with a gamepad connected through type C and when I'm done just disconnect the gamepad and close the Xbox app and can fit in my pocket .

I remember hearing about the Sega Nomad, and of course those emulation consoles like the Retron. I believe there was a SNES and NES handheld by a third party, I thought it was Retron, but I may be wrong. And I know there was third party Gameboy players you could buy as well. 

I think it's really cool. But the majority of them out there seem to be third party ones not made or supported by the original company.