Register Now
MobileGameFreak1992

Games addiction

By choice, I don't have a social life. In my private life, I try to get off the game systems more often these days. But there have been times when I would go on a gaming binge and for a few weeks, my whole world was just that one game. So it has gotten in the way in the past. @Rain Dew always reminds me to get off the game and spend time with the pets. And her.

The only game I came just sort of addicted to was a mobile game a few years ago GI Joe Battleground. It's the only mobile game I've ever played. But since I've been a fan of Gi Joe since I was a kid and a collector as an adult, that game to me was awesome! But what forced me to play and interfere with my life was the live events. And those events happened only a couple times a day. I set my alarm clock in the middle of the night just so I can participate in an event. It wasn't really the game, it was the events that disrupted my life. No way I'd do that for anything else, only GI Joe. 

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I started to get addicted to playing video games. It was getting to the point where I didn't want to hang out with friends, I just wanted to stay inside and play my Playstation. I'm not sure what clicked in my brain, but one day I realized "You know what, I do want to go outside." Maybe my parents played a role in getting me to put the controller down for a bit, but that was over 20 years ago. I have a friend who became addicted to playing League of Legends. She was so bad that she would rarely take showers and didn't have a job for a long time because of it.

Nope - not really. I love gaming a lot but I also knew that I couldn't just disregard my responsibilities in real life. I do know of a few people who had to get professional help because their addiction to gaming was ruining their lives.

As much as I have really enjoyed video games and I have been known in the past to spend hours on games such as Fortnite and also Destiny 2, I wouldn't say that I have ever become so addicted to these games that coming away from them was a huge problem and affected my social life or even my life in general. I feel as long as you understand and know that you need to take a break and you are able to get up and do that without any issues, you should be fine.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:50 AM, Shortie said:

As much as I have really enjoyed video games and I have been known in the past to spend hours on games such as Fortnite and also Destiny 2, I wouldn't say that I have ever become so addicted to these games that coming away from them was a huge problem and affected my social life or even my life in general. I feel as long as you understand and know that you need to take a break and you are able to get up and do that without any issues, you should be fine.

I agree - videogames are very nice hobby but too much of anything is never good. There has to be some kind of balance in everything you do. Heck, drinking too much water without excreting any can kill you.

I got addicted to finishing Digimon World: Next Order a few months ago, and not just because I'm a huge Digimon fan. I tend to become addicted to games where I could get every achievement/trophy possible without relying on skills, merely my patience. There's just something addictive to that kind of completionism because I'm not a skilled enough gamer to get all achievements for normal games.

On 4/19/2023 at 7:30 PM, Akun said:

I got addicted to finishing Digimon World: Next Order a few months ago, and not just because I'm a huge Digimon fan. I tend to become addicted to games where I could get every achievement/trophy possible without relying on skills, merely my patience. There's just something addictive to that kind of completionism because I'm not a skilled enough gamer to get all achievements for normal games.

But most games nowadays don't require that much skill to get the achievements. I can understand games back in the days because some of the requirements for some achievements was ridiculous to say the least.

6 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

But most games nowadays don't require that much skill to get the achievements. I can understand games back in the days because some of the requirements for some achievements was ridiculous to say the least.

Still, a shiny achievement on my profile is still an achievement, no matter how hollow others might think it is.

1 hour ago, Akun said:

Still, a shiny achievement on my profile is still an achievement, no matter how hollow others might think it is.

I didn't think it was hollow, I just was lamenting that it should be easier to get rewards in most games now since modern games are far more lenient than older games.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I didn't think it was hollow, I just was lamenting that it should be easier to get rewards in most games now since modern games are far more lenient than older games.

Not necessarily true. I tend to avoid games that challenge me, so games like Call of Duty or Dark Souls would probably have achievements I could never get, but I can't confirm on that.

Furthermore, the Mass Effect: Legendary Edition has achievements you could only get by completing the game on Insanity.

Also, even if it doesn't require skills, it still requires massive patience and time, sometimes requiring you to play through a game 3-4 times just to get all achievements.

11 minutes ago, Akun said:

Not necessarily true. I tend to avoid games that challenge me, so games like Call of Duty or Dark Souls would probably have achievements I could never get, but I can't confirm on that.

Furthermore, the Mass Effect: Legendary Edition has achievements you could only get by completing the game on Insanity.

Also, even if it doesn't require skills, it still requires massive patience and time, sometimes requiring you to play through a game 3-4 times just to get all achievements.

COD and Dark Souls aren't really the average games. Those games take lots of skill and patience. I doubt I've ever completed all the achievements in either. I know for a fact, I've never done it for any Dark Souls title.