Register Now
Shagger

There's A Last of Us Knock-Off on Nintendo Switch...

And it may even be worse than you think. Full story from Push Square, and here's the trailer...Well, it was the trailer, but as I described in a another post below, Sony struck down that trail due to copyright (good for them), so it's now the review of "The Last Hope" from Digital Foundry instead. Enjoy!

The game is called The Last Hope - Dead Zone Survival and it's completely shameless. It comes from a Moldovan developer VG Games known for, well, nothing much. A couple of indie games on the Switch that at least look more original than this, but is still shovelware. As far as I can tell, it doesn't follow the TLOU's story, with it being about some guy being sent to the future to save the world from the post-apocalypse (Makes sense in the way that it doesn't). It feels like a plagiarised school assignment made to score a D because they reckon people won't catch on if it's a bit shit. The graphics are awful, the art style is inconsistent and gameplay looks unfocused and dull. 

As funny as this is, there is a serious point to be made. Blatantly copying such a popular game might get attention, but in the long run they will only make themselves look foolish. People aren't going trust thier money to game dev's that do this, even if it is just $1. Is any aspiring game dev's see this, don't do the same thing.

Edited by Shagger

This has been an issue for a long time on Steam and GooglePlay (I can't say much about the apple App store because I've only used ios for work). I guess with Nintendo being less gatekeepy and the popularity of the Switch this was bound to happen. The only thing you can do is warn people, I guess.

12 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Before I can really post much about this, I have to know: Is this a video I can watch, or do I need to steer clear?

The zombies in this I'm fairly certain are just the same shitty looking, stock Unity Store assets we've all seen in assets flips and shovelware a hundred times and they look nothing like the infected from the real TLOU game. I think you're OK for this.

Edited by Shagger

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED????

Were they high? Did they design that game on a damn 286 that still uses 5¼ floppy's? I don't know jack about writing any kind of software, but I could do better if I tried to write Chinese script with my ass cheeks. If that's the future of gaming, I'm out.

Check please, the food sucked, the waitress was a bitch, won't be back.

I just came back to this thread to find that video I embedded in the opening post, witch was the official trailer for "The Last Hope" from the developer's YouTube channel, has been nuked via copyright claim by Sony Interactive Entertainment!

Well done, Sony, Right on!

image_2023-07-20_145826838.thumb.png.266b19f23776aa96cdcee198d0c3432d.png

I'm editing the original post so the video displayed will now be the review of the game from Digital Foundry instead, I just wanted to have this post here as a record that this glorious moment actually happened.

Edited by Shagger

I don't get why people think they can rip off other properties and not expect the companies that made the originals to come back and strike down their games. I noticed that a few people were talking about this game on Youtube but I never watched any of the videos. I'm surprised it took them a bit to get the game removed from the eShop though.

I often wonder what goes through the minds of people who feel they can take something and copy it with a crappy remake so to speak and then call it their own game. 

Unfortunately, I feel as though at least now many people will keep trying this exact same thing, especially for a game that has a lot of success hoping to branch off that success themselves. 

Good for Sony on taking that down when they did.