Register Now
Kane99

Think GTA IV could land on the Switch?

With the Red Dead Redemption making its way on the switch, it made me wonder if we'll see GTA IV get the same treatment. I feel as if almost anything could run GTA IV these days, even a switch, so could Rockstar end up releasing a version of GTA IV for the Switch? If they could get RDR1 to work, I could see GTA IV working too. Or would it be a waste for Rockstar to bother with? 

I see a market for the first Red Dead Redemption on the Switch, but for GTA IV? Eh not really, especially with VI coming out in a few years. If anything they could just wait to port GTA IV and V when the next Nintendo console is released which will most likely be a sequel to the Switch.

It's possible for Rockstar to release GTA IV for the Switch, as the console is capable of running it. However, whether or not they decide to do so would depend on market demand and the resources they are willing to allocate. It may or may not be seen as a worthwhile endeavor for Rockstar.

I've been far removed from Nintendo for several years now. I play on the wife or kids Switch once in a while but that's it.

In my mind, Nintendo is all about bubbly cartoon characters and bright colors - family friendly entertainment. I can't mentally process a mature game on a Nintendo console, such as GTA5. Maybe they have been there all along and I just don't pay attention. Maybe I am showing my age, lol

On 2/15/2024 at 5:19 PM, killamch89 said:

Why GTA IV though? It's a very old game that most people wouldn't be that interested in. GTA V is a far better choice, in my opinion as the Switch should be able to run it.

While I agree with IV being old. It'd be easier to run on the Switch natively, whereas GTA V might still require it to be ran through the cloud and not run natively on the Switch hardware. The switch hardware is very old now and struggles to run new games natively, hell it struggled to run games like GTA5 even back when it was new. Nintendo is notorious for underpowering their systems compared to the competition.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:02 PM, Smokey said:

While I agree with IV being old. It'd be easier to run on the Switch natively, whereas GTA V might still require it to be ran through the cloud and not run natively on the Switch hardware. The switch hardware is very old now and struggles to run new games natively, hell it struggled to run games like GTA5 even back when it was new. Nintendo is notorious for underpowering their systems compared to the competition.

GTA V is also a pretty old game from 2013 to be exact - it's not nearly as demanding as a lot of games released around that time. The only thing that I could see being an issue is the amount of space the updates take up.

Either way, here's hoping the answer is a flat out NO. The Switch is not an appropriate platform for AAA titles. It simply takes away so much from the game due to it's size. Sure you can port it to play on a TV, but that still doesn't do them justice. Keep AAA games on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.