Register Now
Alexander.

8K Screen Resolution

Obviously, the price for these TVs are way too expensive for us to perceive such a difference in quality. It's at least a step towards advancement in graphics. I'd love to see how the AMD graphics cards in the new PS5 console would look on one of those 8K TVs though...

16 minutes ago, Wolves said:

Obviously, the price for these TVs are way too expensive for us to perceive such a difference in quality. It's at least a step towards advancement in graphics. I'd love to see how the AMD graphics cards in the new PS5 console would look on one of those 8K TVs though...

The thing that I find fascinating about this is whilst 8K is completely unnecessary for PS5 and XBSX, to have a TV that's gonna get the best out of the next gen consoles, I've found that it's mostly these 8K ready TV's is what one needs. HDMI 2.1 ports, 120Hz refresh rate and the kind of HDR that worked best with these consoles, to get these features on a TV now it'll cost a bloody fortune and it's most common on the pointless 8K resolution compatible sets. This is the true cost of next gen.

Edited by Shagger

5 hours ago, KuroInDistress said:

The difference would highly depend on how close you sit to the screen. Sitting a normal tv lounge distance from a 4k and 8k tv might not really seem much different, but if you were to get closer the pixels per inch would be quite telling

Anyone who would purposefully get close enough to a living room sized 4K TV to try and see the pixels shouldn't have been let out the hospital.

Edited by Shagger

On 8/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, KuroInDistress said:

The difference would highly depend on how close you sit to the screen.

The thing is that 3D may have progressed but yes still you see some bricks and lines if you sit too close regardless of the type of screen. 

On 1/2/2021 at 4:08 PM, Patrik said:

If you are buying them for a console, i would say they aren't worth it, as no console is capable of performing well at the resolution, even current top end PC's can't do that (upscaled 8K's performance isn't same as Native 8K performance)

Exactly. 4k isn't even widely adopted as yet - As a matter of fact, the most adopted resolution is still 1080p which it has been for over 7 years. 8K is a waste at this point.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:46 PM, kingpotato said:

Are we really able to perceive 8K or anything beyond that? 
4k looks nice but for me the difference between 4k and 1080p are minimal. I would much rather have a big 65 or 75 1080p TV than a 4k.

That's a good question. Personally 4K is a huge jump from 1080p. The thing with 4K and higher, you really need a big TV to take advantage of it, as well, you'd need space to see it at the optimal angle so that you can see that difference. My sister and them got a 70in 4K TV a while back, and I they showed the Shinning in 4K and my god, it's like I'm standing right in the movie, it's so clear. 

There is a major crisp to the picture when you get into 4K territory. I don't know how to explain it, but it's quite a difference. 

As for 8K though, like I said about 4K, you'd need a bigger screen and more room to take advantage of it. 

On 1/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, Patrik said:

If you are buying them for a console, i would say they aren't worth it, as no console is capable of performing well at the resolution, even current top end PC's can't do that (upscaled 8K's performance isn't same as Native 8K performance)

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Exactly. 4k isn't even widely adopted as yet - As a matter of fact, the most adopted resolution is still 1080p which it has been for over 7 years. 8K is a waste at this point.

Agreed, TV manufacturers jumped the gun. It's the only way they could justify selling that crap at the prices they do. 

9 hours ago, Shagger said:

Agreed, TV manufacturers jumped the gun. It's the only way they could justify selling that crap at the prices they do. 

8k as of right now feels like when they started to introduce 4k when 1080p still wasn't widely adopted as yet either. I'd even go as far as to say that Quad HD is even less adopted than 4K at the moment because most people either buy a 1080p TV or 4k TV. You hardly ever see QHD TVs promoted as much. You only have to look at gaming laptops, the resolutions are either 1080P or 4K. I think Eluktronics is the first company to start pushing QHD panels on gaming laptops and that was just last year! 

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

8k as of right now feels like when they started to introduce 4k when 1080p still wasn't widely adopted as yet either. I'd even go as far as to say that Quad HD is even less adopted than 4K at the moment because most people either buy a 1080p TV or 4k TV. You hardly ever see QHD TVs promoted as much. You only have to look at gaming laptops, the resolutions are either 1080P or 4K. I think Eluktronics is the first company to start pushing QHD panels on gaming laptops and that was just last year! 

I've been keeping an eye on TV's in recent months in preparation for a move to next-gen, and finding a TV that has HDMI 2.1, applicable HDR, the right refresh rate and the other things you want to get the best out of a PS5 or XBSX that doesn't have a pointless 8K panel is not as easy as you think, and it certainly isn't cheap.

Just now, Shagger said:

I've been keeping an eye on TV's in recent months in preparation for a move to next-gen, and finding a TV that has HDMI 2.1, applicable HDR, the right refresh rate and the other things you want to get the best out of a PS5 or XBSX that doesn't have a pointless 8K panel is not as easy as you think, and it certainly isn't cheap.

I've been doing the same because I plan to get a PS5 as well and I'm fully aware of that. What I was saying is that it's crazy how QHD adoption isn't being pushed nearly as much as 4k. It's like most companies are just skipping over it because Sony doesn't even offer QHD resolution support on the PS5. As a matter of fact, the only market that I've seen widely adopt this technology are smartphones and tablets.