Register Now
StaceyPowers

Should all games have an "easy" mode?

Damn this post was all fired up 😂 I didn't even notice.

I will just leave my opinion:
The appeal of soul games is to be difficult, thats what makes them popular, yes they target a specific audience because they know casual gamers (like myself) will not purchase this game. When you are selling something regardless of what it is you have to know your market and these games where made for gamers who enjoy a challenge since this is where the developers and publishers will get their profits. They didnt exclude anybody from playing the game, anyone can walk up to a game store and purchase these games and play them, is not like they where made for 3 arm people. (but it damn looks like 😆). Anyway going back to the topic: Should all games have an "easy" mode? for me the answer is No, most games do have a difficulty selection since they want to target as many gamers as possible but for Soul games being difficult is what makes them to stand out in a very competitive gaming market.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:43 AM, StaceyPowers said:

This reminds me of an old DOS game which I played as a kid which I thought handled difficulty in a great way. It was a puzzle game called Heaven and Earth. I think it had like ... thousands of puzzles in it in a number of innovative categories. They started out absurdly easy, and then gradually increased in difficulty in every category until they were ludicrously hard.

I never did beat the game because you had to beat every puzzle to do it, but it never angered me because:

1-I could do the puzzles in literally any order I wished, at any time I wanted.

2-The learning curve was gradual and logical. 

3-Rather than having to puzzle out what the puzzles actually were, they had clear tutorials, and most of them were designed to help improve particular skills (i.e. there was a whole set involving motor skills with mirror movement, where your mouse would behave as if it were flipped).

Even though beating it would be quite challenging, I really felt like it offered something at every skill level. And this is coming from a person who usually detests puzzles in video games.

In 90s the learning curve and the overall grinding for finishing the game was worth it. Now a days considering how the games end, I don't think it's worth it anymore. 

While i myself don't like games to be overbearingly difficult, but some do.This is how i look at things, i don't think a developer should have to change their vision of a game to make it more mainstream, if they don't want to. Whether that be something like difficulty or even things like violence or sexual content that forces a game to get a higher ESRB rating, obviously they know if they make it easier or make design changes to tone down certain content that would help open it up to a larger audience and potentially mean more sales, but for some games that might sacrifice the developers vision for the game, and at a certain level, gaming is art, but it's also business, so they have to weigh the pros and cons there, it should be their decision. As for the question, should all games be forced to have an easy mode, the answer is, no, they should not. As for whether it would be a good idea financially to offer easier difficulty levels in games then most of the time, the answer would probably be yes.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, skyfire said:

In 90s the learning curve and the overall grinding for finishing the game was worth it. Now a days considering how the games end, I don't think it's worth it anymore. 

What do you mean by "how the games end?"

23 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

What do you mean by "how the games end?"

I meant  to say for grinding for the items and the gold or say. If the game does not end with some expected difficulty. Its not really a good challenge if you ask me. It can get pretty bored.