Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long does it take you to adjust to a new game?

In this thread, @Christopher Robin  was talking about how it can be a challenge to begin a new game owing to needing to get used to the new mechanics and get through what can sometimes be hours’ worth of tutorial content.

This made me wonder how long it takes most gamers to adjust to the mechanics of a new game, plus other aspects (i.e. movement in the game, general look, feel and navigation, etc.).

It seems to take me about a week of nightly play to get really comfortable with something brand new. The first several days are very awkward.

Learning the new controls can be hard, as can learning how to control character movement (not the controls, in this respect—more issues involving speed and sensitivity).

Arguably the most challenging adjustment though is something more subtle than all of that, and hard to express. It is kind of like “motion sickness,” only not quite—just the overwhelming sense of difference in being in a new, alien world. I suppose it is because video games not only offer us new worlds, but create new perceptions of those worlds.

In a way, it’s like being dropped into a new body and having to learn the basics of a new existence every time. No wonder it can take a while.

What are your experiences with this?

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

For me it takes time if the map and the game design has complexity. But overall for survival games I try to adjust pretty quickly. It's the weird designs in FPS with odd maps confuses me a lot. 

What types of maps do you find confusing?

On 5/28/2019 at 11:54 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What types of maps do you find confusing?

Caves. I kind of get confused with the caves and the small roads in the valleys. For example in AVP games you may find that or notice that. 

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

Caves. I kind of get confused with the caves and the small roads in the valleys. For example in AVP games you may find that or notice that. 

Yeah, caves can be confusing. The ones in Skyrim usually aren't bad, but this is because most of them have patterns to their layouts which are fairly linear.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:20 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, caves can be confusing. The ones in Skyrim usually aren't bad, but this is because most of them have patterns to their layouts which are fairly linear.

That's one of my caveats with Skyrim's caves - they are extremely linear most times. I'd like to get lost in a cave just one time...It away from the excitement of exploring caves.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, killamch89 said:

That's one of my caveats with Skyrim's caves - they are extremely linear most times. I'd like to get lost in a cave just one time...It away from the excitement of exploring caves.

lol. I hate getting lost. For getting lost, I recommend the vaults in Fallout games. Make it Vault 34 if you want to amp up the pressure of finding your way around in a very timely fashion =D

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

lol. I hate getting lost. For getting lost, I recommend the vaults in Fallout games. Make it Vault 34 if you want to amp up the pressure of finding your way around in a very timely fashion =D

I get lost in vaults all the time but I find it odd that I can get lost in a man-made structure like a vault while for the most part, I can hardly get lost in a cave that was created by a mystical entity.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I get lost in vaults all the time but I find it odd that I can get lost in a man-made structure like a vault while for the most part, I can hardly get lost in a cave that was created by a mystical entity.

Ah hah, but therein lies your answer. Surely a mystical entity is better at logical design work than a human being.