Register Now
The Blackangel

How do you stream gaming?

people are always talking about this. I don't have a clue how you would stream gaming, or even record it for that matter. I can play games obviously on my PC but doing anything that would be able to go online is out of my knowledge area. Do I need specific equipment, or does my computer/Windows come with what I need? I'm at a total loss here.

XSplit or OBS are what you would usually use to capture the video and you'd need a mixer, mic and what not to capture your audio. If you're doing it from a console, you'd need a capture card unless you had the in house Twitch streaming from PS4 or Xbox.

As @Dead2009 said, XSplit and OBS are software solutions to capture game footage the use the standard audio in/out ports on you computer to capture your own audio, but this software has limitations and can be unreliable. An alternative is to use a device called a capture card. It's a digital video recorder with specific inputs, hardware set and accompanying software designed for the purpose of broadcasting digital video as its being recorded. There are many of them available and are sold as internal of external components. A couple of examples are posted below, one internal, one external. The links are to the UK Amazon website, but other regional versions of the store and other outlets will have them as well.

61V5CLA1+6L._AC_SL1491_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AVerMedia-Portable-started-Streaming-Nintendo/dp/B00I0QZMPE/ref=sr_1_3?

81A0xDEJuXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Game-Capture-HD60-Pro/dp/B014MQIVPS/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=capture+card+pc&qid=1585425119&sr=8-6

Every capture care will have their own ways to set them up, like software to help you customize broadcast screens, add banner and overlays. Software from GPU manufactures, like Nvidia's GeForce Overlay, can also help customize your broadcast screen. If you use a camera to record yourself during gameplay, the aforementioned software can help set that up as well.

A microphone important because you'll obviously need to talk over your gameplay, but you will need headphones or a headset for your own gameplay audio to avoid feedback audio coming feedback coming through the microphone. Broadcast audio will have an independent feed from the audio you'll here, so it may some experimenting to get the audio balance right.

The last piece of the puzzle is, of course, an account of you prefer platform. Youtube, Twitch, whatever. They have their TOS's and stuff you should check up on, but nothing you wouldn't expect.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

What about something like react videos? Where the person has themselves in a small square in whatever corner and they're watching the video in full frame and vice versa? How do you do that?

It's called Picture-in-Picture or PIP, it's a fairly common feature in video editing/streaming software.

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

What about something like react videos? Where the person has themselves in a small square in whatever corner and they're watching the video in full frame and vice versa? How do you do that?

Reaction videos are well received on twitch. Youtube and facebook does not care much. But twitch and mixer people definitely expect some reactions and interaction. 

Two platforms which I mainly use for streaming videos games are Twitch.TV and YouTube. You need a microphone, a windows-based PC, and a software installed such as Open Broadcasting Software. It's important to note that you must have a stable internet connection to avoid lag to viewers. Watch this tutorial on how to install and use this particular program, courtesy of Epic J Creations on YouTube. 

On 5/17/2020 at 7:29 PM, Alexander. said:

Two platforms which I mainly use for streaming videos games are Twitch.TV and YouTube. You need a microphone, a windows-based PC, and a software installed such as Open Broadcasting Software. It's important to note that you must have a stable internet connection to avoid lag to viewers. Watch this tutorial on how to install and use this particular program, courtesy of Epic J Creations on YouTube. 

OBS is on the android machines too. So it has pretty much made it easier for the mobile users to streams. So I think streaming is lot easier with the OBS either on PC or the tablet or mobile.