Register Now
killamch89

Should Video Games Be More Integrated Into Education

Video games have come a far way since I was a kid and even the original views on gaming has somewhat changed. We've learned through scientific research that video games help individuals develop better co-ordination as well as problem-solving skills. Do you think video games should play more of an integral role in education? If so, how could you see it being implemented into the education sector? 

Nowadays I don’t really see a way it could be integrated into education unless more games like Mario Is Missing are made. There were a couple PC games when I was a kid that were fun as hell and educational. One was Skytrip USA, and the other was Operation Weather Disaster. OWD was so much fun to play, that none of us even realized that it was educational. If companies were willing to look in that direction, then gaming could have a future in the educational market. But all that matters now is the almighty dollar, so companies are going to stick with what they know will make them money. Just look at all the fuckups coming from EA for example.

Sure, I'd welcome more video games being used to help with education. If anything, it's probably already being done. You have online courses with educational aspects. And who's to say that video games have to be just for learning when played for educational purposes. Some games can be used to help with dexterity, eye sight and so on. As well, some games can be used in historical context (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor). 

Of course you have interactive learning tools all over the web as well, and some games that are made for schooling purposes. 

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Nowadays I don’t really see a way it could be integrated into education unless more games like Mario Is Missing are made. There were a couple PC games when I was a kid that were fun as hell and educational. One was Skytrip USA, and the other was Operation Weather Disaster. OWD was so much fun to play, that none of us even realized that it was educational. If companies were willing to look in that direction, then gaming could have a future in the educational market. But all that matters now is the almighty dollar, so companies are going to stick with what they know will make them money. Just look at all the fuckups coming from EA for example.

Some very valid points there.

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Sure, I'd welcome more video games being used to help with education. If anything, it's probably already being done. You have online courses with educational aspects. And who's to say that video games have to be just for learning when played for educational purposes. Some games can be used to help with dexterity, eye sight and so on. As well, some games can be used in historical context (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor). 

Of course you have interactive learning tools all over the web as well, and some games that are made for schooling purposes. 

That's very true but I mean a far more significant impact. Instead of it being like an icing on the cake, we're talking like an essential ingredient in the cake(metaphorically speaking).

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

MUDs for 1-teaching typing, and 2-teaching second languages, and 3-teaching teamwork and leadership skills.

You always mention this game and I can see why you talk so much about it.

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

If I remember correctly, sweden is already into the adding the minecraft into various education programs they have. Microsoft seems to be in talks with them for the minecrafts inclusion in their syllabus. 

Thanks for pointing that out.

NO; that is begging for government intervention. If the education department utilizes a video game, the government helps education, and fatty slabs the video game department. "Hi, How are you." Next thing you know government is using video games for their purposes. And we come back to a post asking if video games cause violence. In government hands... Yes it does

Here's a question I'd like to ask. What kind of games are we speaking of? Because if schools integrate video games, it would probably be more interactivity towards the learning. So think any educational video game out there. I don't think we'll see anything like schools playing Call of Duty Multiplayer or The Witcher. They would be educational games. If anything, I imagine schools going into the VR direction, because there's so much that can be done with it. You could do 3D modeling, graphic design, video editing, creating art/content, etc. You can also do virtual sightseeing and maybe even see virtual museums. 

If schools are 100% about integrating video games, it won't be for fun necessarily, that would be an added bonus, it would be about finding the most fun ways of teaching kids as possible. 

13 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

NO; that is begging for government intervention. If the education department utilizes a video game, the government helps education, and fatty slabs the video game department. "Hi, How are you." Next thing you know government is using video games for their purposes. And we come back to a post asking if video games cause violence. In government hands... Yes it does

Not sure that would happen? I mean, teachers showed us movies all the time, and it didn't lead to the education department interfering with the film industry. Just some movies were approved by the school and others weren't. Could be same with games. Some curriculum is set in stone, but for other aspects, teachers often can do what they want so long as the school approves it.

4 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Not sure that would happen? I mean, teachers showed us movies all the time, and it didn't lead to the education department interfering with the film industry. Just some movies were approved by the school and others weren't. Could be same with games. Some curriculum is set in stone, but for other aspects, teachers often can do what they want so long as the school approves it.

With the threat of fascism around the world, be very mindful of the consequences of allowing the education department dictate what movies or games that they expose to kids. The world has changed. This isn't the world fresh off the fight from WW2 anymore. 

Just now, Reality vs Adventure said:

With the threat of fascism around the world, be very mindful of the consequences of allowing the education department dictate what movies or games that they expose to kids. The world has changed. This isn't the world fresh off the fight from WW2 anymore. 

They already dictate what materials kids in schools are exposed to. It's always been that way in public schools.

Public school has always lacked all quality, value, and/or worth. There needs to be a complete overhaul of the entire system. Teachers have their favorites, and don't give half a fuck about the other students. None of the faculty cares about bullying. Teachers go out of their way to be especially cruel to one hand picked student. When that student fights back it's a national tragedy. Everyone's asking "Where were the parents?" and blaming people like Marilyn Manson, or movies like Terminator, or games like GTA. They refuse to look at the big picture and accept what the real mother fucking problem is.

Edited by The Blackangel

You know why they can't win lawsuits against games for causing violence? It's because it's not integrated in schools. At least I never heard of any win against games in court. Simulation games could be good in schools, but it's not really new. I remember playing math computer games on apple computer in school. But as soon as that simulation game has one motion of violence, there could be the first win against gaming. You would think everything is approved by the board on what media they show kids. But I have read many news stories where assignments are deliberately racist. How does such things get approved? So don't you think in a time like this where kids are at home during a pandemic that an idiot teacher won't assign an unapproved violent game to their kids if games were integrated in education? Even if the teacher was held responsible if a child committed an act of violence, just seems it opens the door even more to blame video games.