Register Now
killamch89

Should Video Games Be More Integrated Into Education

On 12/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, StaceyPowers said:

They already dictate what materials kids in schools are exposed to. It's always been that way in public schools.

That's true for almost every country...

8 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

You know why they can't win lawsuits against games for causing violence? It's because it's not integrated in schools. At least I never heard of any win against games in court. Simulation games could be good in schools, but it's not really new. I remember playing math computer games on apple computer in school. But as soon as that simulation game has one motion of violence, there could be the first win against gaming. You would think everything is approved by the board on what media they show kids. But I have read many news stories where assignments are deliberately racist. How does such things get approved? So don't you think in a time like this where kids are at home during a pandemic that an idiot teacher won't assign an unapproved violent game to their kids if games were integrated in education? Even if the teacher was held responsible if a child committed an act of violence, just seems it opens the door even more to blame video games. 

They'll never win either because various studies have been done and disproved this already. Nothing can replace proper parenting which is what we have lacked for generations and now it's raring its ugly head all over the world. Politicians can try to shift the blame all they want but until they can provide irrefutable evidence correlating the two, they'll always lose.

I think people are confusing the topic at hand. If schools ever integrated video games in schooling, it's not like they're going to allow them to play Cyberpunk 2077 for example. It would be a boring addition to schooling, as they will always find a way to make it boring. It'll be interactive learning, simple as that. Some classes may be themed, and may result in their own special games for schooling/training. 

If video games are adding to education, it's not going to be for the pleasure of the students, it's going to be used as an aide in learning. 

That's how I see it. Sure, some classes may be about history, and playing a game like COD could teach you that, but, they would probably playing something like a RTS, or a game that teaches you about the history instead of letting you play it. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think people are confusing the topic at hand. If schools ever integrated video games in schooling, it's not like they're going to allow them to play Cyberpunk 2077 for example. It would be a boring addition to schooling, as they will always find a way to make it boring. It'll be interactive learning, simple as that. Some classes may be themed, and may result in their own special games for schooling/training. 

If video games are adding to education, it's not going to be for the pleasure of the students, it's going to be used as an aide in learning. 

That's how I see it. Sure, some classes may be about history, and playing a game like COD could teach you that, but, they would probably playing something like a RTS, or a game that teaches you about the history instead of letting you play it. 

I'm aware of that, I was just clarifying that they'd have to come up with a lot more than one kid doing something violent to blame it on video games. We all know it's definitely going to be some boring, interactive game with some cheesy music and narrator sounding like a drunken old man. They definitely wouldn't include games like COD but they'd probably get some kind of boring historical game that can show the events without any bloodshed among other things.

Well nobody is understanding one simple point that work from home and school from home has damaged the traditional school system and made the "home schooling" world scenario more powerful. The teachers who explain concept have more power in the market than entire school itself. things are changing. at the end of the day school too is a business in private sector. if gaming gets integrated into school, it would bring a lot of paranoid level animation teaching kids about world history, math etc and I wont be surprised it would be more damaging due to lack of real human connection. 

16 hours ago, bomb said:

I support video games should be introduced to education. It makes students reflex action be more active and this will help them in class to grab new topics easily. 

You have a valid point there. The animations will definitely grab their attention and will make them more curious. 

On 12/13/2020 at 6:01 AM, skyfire said:

Well nobody is understanding one simple point that work from home and school from home has damaged the traditional school system and made the "home schooling" world scenario more powerful. The teachers who explain concept have more power in the market than entire school itself. things are changing. at the end of the day school too is a business in private sector. if gaming gets integrated into school, it would bring a lot of paranoid level animation teaching kids about world history, math etc and I wont be surprised it would be more damaging due to lack of real human connection. 

We weren't necessarily saying to get rid of the teacher. It's more of an aide to help the teachers get their points across to the children and help them retain that information.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, killamch89 said:

We weren't necessarily saying to get rid of the teacher. It's more of an aide to help the teachers get their points across to the children and help them retain that information.

That would be difficult considering we have different information bombarding and also it would be harder to assess the new students considering our teaching mediums are changed. 

Well one can use video games to educate kids. Games in general, for example as a Coach for basketball, I use a lot of games with kids to make them love the sport and teach them a skill, it is more effective than just making them dribble and doing some boring stuff, they learn the same skill but have more fun with games so they are more enthusiastic to learn it and perfect it.

14 hours ago, Shole said:

Well one can use video games to educate kids. Games in general, for example as a Coach for basketball, I use a lot of games with kids to make them love the sport and teach them a skill, it is more effective than just making them dribble and doing some boring stuff, they learn the same skill but have more fun with games so they are more enthusiastic to learn it and perfect it.

Some sports can be used with the VR and other means. And also the driving simulation is possible with the game and can be used for license exams. 

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

Some sports can be used with the VR and other means. And also the driving simulation is possible with the game and can be used for license exams. 

Yeah I agree, the motoric function of kids can easily be attained with VR for some minor things. Id disagree that it should be used constantly tho as it will limit one of the big factors of sports and that is social interaction.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:58 PM, Shole said:

Yeah I agree, the motoric function of kids can easily be attained with VR for some minor things. Id disagree that it should be used constantly tho as it will limit one of the big factors of sports and that is social interaction.

If you're playing VR games, you can still have the online social aspect so while it can't replace the real thing (and shouldn't), it can act as a substitute especially with Covid around.