Register Now
killamch89

Cyberbullying In Games

Back during the early days of Xbox live and early modern MMOs it was more common but it was far from the norm. Nowadays communities and mods/devs what have you are far more involved and there is a lot less of such behavior. Trash talk has gone from some 12 year old with a 5 dollar mic saying he had sex with your mom over Xbox live to people typing gg ez in chat. The idea that it's so common comes from media representation where some dude who played Xbox back in the day was really upset that some prepubescent kid beat his ass at Halo and had sex with his mom and so it's been exaggerated to such a point that every gamer must sit before a tv yelling into a headset in movies/tv.

Point saying it still goes on but less now then years back. I even see it in chat or voice chat. NEver experienced myself. 

7 hours ago, Empire said:

Back during the early days of Xbox live and early modern MMOs it was more common but it was far from the norm. Nowadays communities and mods/devs what have you are far more involved and there is a lot less of such behavior. Trash talk has gone from some 12 year old with a 5 dollar mic saying he had sex with your mom over Xbox live to people typing gg ez in chat. The idea that it's so common comes from media representation where some dude who played Xbox back in the day was really upset that some prepubescent kid beat his ass at Halo and had sex with his mom and so it's been exaggerated to such a point that every gamer must sit before a tv yelling into a headset in movies/tv.

Point saying it still goes on but less now then years back. I even see it in chat or voice chat. NEver experienced myself. 

I remembered the COD online sessions on Xbox 360...good times. They'd call you all kinds of names and nobody took it personal. Hell, I remember threatening to strap himself with a bomb to go blow up another player's house.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:31 AM, skyfire said:

Ignoring is the only solution. People with money forever bully you and you can't change that. Same in gaming people with more skills bully you and going strong over them or ignoring and exiting is the always only solution. 

Either that or tactically outsmart them. Trust me, once the see that they'll have to watch their backs because of you, they'll leave you alone or try to befriend you so that you don't attack them.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, bomb said:

Been bullying online is more like a challenge if you are a game lover, it makes you to try harder and do a lot of practise. With that u can keep them shot later when you are good at it.

Could you please elaborate because I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

Never dealt with cyberbullying, but I've dealt with my fair share of unruly kids, trolls, and obnoxiously rude people. I was bullied on an old forum I attended when I was a kid, they would photoshop my picture and make fun of my weight. Of course, I was also kind of a jerk to people on the site, so I understand why I was an easy target. These days, I wouldn't say I've dealt with it in years. 

In terms of online and life being online you have to be very careful what you say and do. Real life for me stays out of online life and my online life is far different to what happens in life. So how did they able to get a image of you then? I wouldn't even post images of myself online, then again nowadays who doesn't post images of themselves.  

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Never dealt with cyberbullying, but I've dealt with my fair share of unruly kids, trolls, and obnoxiously rude people. I was bullied on an old forum I attended when I was a kid, they would photoshop my picture and make fun of my weight. Of course, I was also kind of a jerk to people on the site, so I understand why I was an easy target. These days, I wouldn't say I've dealt with it in years. 

People know better than to go starting trouble with because I love creating utter chaos and will literally turn everything upside down. I'm not the type to go looking for trouble but if it comes to me - let the games begin! Did I tell you guys about this one time in Lords Mobile where I purposely taught a weaker guild to fight so that they'd screw up our enemies in a kingdom? They were tired of being bullied by them so I taught them the art of war and let them loose. Needless to say, our guild used that opportunity to prepare an attack on our enemies and when they were about to retaliate against the weaker guild, we stepped in and absolutely annihilated them and they migrated the very next day from the kingdom - good times...

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Either that or tactically outsmart them. Trust me, once the see that they'll have to watch their backs because of you, they'll leave you alone or try to befriend you so that you don't attack them.

Yeah tactically oversmarting them is necessary. for example a lot of MOBA players who are new feel such bullying from old players and keeping calm is the only way. 

Luckily my English wasn't that good when i joined online gaming, even if i was bad, i couldn't understand if people are dropping compliments or hate, but the better i got in games, the better my English did as well, so i became the bully (i just took the role even if i don't bully :P)

The beauty about the internet, is that there are options to block people who are annoying or rude to you. I haven't talked to anyone in a game voice chat in years. I stick to the private voice chat, or don't even connect my mic most times. If I hear anyone complain about my skills, or start to talk crap, I just mute them. Makes me feel so good to just mute them. Then they can complain all the while I can't hear them. 😄 

Yes and No, I've been attacked by others through chat and voice, but it's not like I think of it as anything but funny. Most people online tho(97% of them) were really nice to me so I can't say I experienced much cyber bulling.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:31 AM, skyfire said:

Ignoring is the only solution. People with money forever bully you and you can't change that. Same in gaming people with more skills bully you and going strong over them or ignoring and exiting is the always only solution. 

Seriously, it's the only best way to deal with such kind of gamers who would go to any extent with what they say. I consider most of them as just kids.