Register Now
StaceyPowers

Approaching RL with the same intentionality as video games

When I play video games, I am interested in everything. I pay attention to every detail of every environment. I excitedly talk to every NPC, and listen to everything they say. But IRL, I often am not paying nearly as much attention, and I typically avoid small talk. But I’ve noticed it is easier to get through it if I pretend I’m playing a video game.

Do you think your life would be better if you were able to approach it with the same intentionality as you do video games?

That's an interesting question. I've had socialization problems and tend to live as a hermit. But I think I am fairly a social being when in the right crowds. Living in klanville, I don't want to have anything to do with anyone around here. Not at the store, not with neighbors, not anytime, no matter the mood. I have felt the difference in crowds and how my anxiety can completely break off me like a shell when around diverse people. For me, it would still be hard to imagine being in a game and be carefree, while knowing I may have to go to war against my neighbors. It is there in our minds now. But let's go back to a different time. A time when things weren't this bad. Back then I was still the asocial type. And I was still the social type among certain people. I was raised in a diverse and poor area in Vegas. Then we moved to Houston in a very wealthy and one of the most dominantly white areas of the 4th largest city. So I believe my anxiety and asocial tendencies developed there by force. Because I didn't fit in. I wasn't like the rich white kid. So for me, to completely erase that cement of the mind by trying to be carefree like a video game seems far fetched to me. But not impossible. And this may actually be a very real therapy if I wasn't scared to try it. Or I should add, if I wasn't so angry to try it. Maybe I will in another place sometime. I will keep that in my mind to just think about it being a video game. And I'm in a village admiring the people; willing to talk; willing to learn; take things in; share ideas; make small talk; compliment someone. Oh wait...I do do that. Just never here in klanville. And why the hell should I? Why does everyone have to change themselves; to work on themselves to please the haters. My anxiety is here to stay as long as racism is here to stay. 

I don't think its possible (for me anyways), because life doesn't let you do things like save it, reset, do things over in different ways and whatnot.  And it would cause a lot of problems ethically and existentially, because I love taking on different roles in video games (sometimes the roles of very wicked people/beings).

No, I approach videogames differently because they are not real, and I don't want to miss content. Real life has way too much content I couldn't care less about.

I actually do approach life somewhat similar to video games. I don't get involved with people when I'm out, but I get extremely hostile if they decide to get involved with me. I've been known to pull my .357 Mag on people. I've tazed several people. I've beaten the shit out of more people than I could count. I'm by nature extremely hostile, violent, disrespectful, and just flat out mean. They're all traits of misanthropy. And I can guarantee that none of you will ever meet anyone as misanthropic as me. It's why I keep all relationships and interactions online. Because I don't have to waste my time actually being around anyone. I'm not an easy person to get along with, and I'm even harder to live with.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

And why the hell should I? Why does everyone have to change themselves; to work on themselves to please the haters. My anxiety is here to stay as long as racism is here to stay. 

Not what I was thinking of, but I think you figured that out. And I absolutely agree sometimes our anxiety is there to send us a very important message about our survival, and listening to it is far wiser than trying to erase it.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Due to how real life works, it's not entirely possible to approach it like playing a video game because certain actions regardless of how innocent has some very devastating consequences.

That's true too, but people get killed for wearing a protective face mask during a pandemic. So we should be more concerned about the mental health pandemic more than an innocent action that can get you killed. Cause to me, that real life violence actually should be the video game. 

But to intensely listen to a conversation you are having with someone as much as a dialogue, that may be a workable approach to curb attention issues. I can see that being a real strategy. Just don't accidentally punch the MF when you meant to check your phone. LOL

You can be killed for wearing the wrong color in the wrong part of town, or being the wrong color in the wrong part of town. I've experienced them. It's why there's a bullet scar in my leg. Every race/color/ethnicity has to watch their backs carefully due to racism. Here in the states, it's mostly blacks followed by Hispanics that have to watch their backs the closest. Those of us that are white, but bottom class don't have it any better with the exception of being white. I could rob a convenience store, but if there was a black guy seen nearby, he would be picked up before I would be looked at.

Racism is bullshit if there's nothing to back it up. To give an example of what I mean by that, let me give one of my own. I hate xtians. I absolutely hate them. My entire life no xtian has given me the tiniest shred of civility. They have condemned me, forced the bible down my throat, and harassed me nonstop. For 39 years. I was excommunicated when I was 3 from the Roman Catholic church for asking a question in Sunday school. This shit has come from my own family as well. Because of the nonstop, relentless bigoted intolerance towards me for NOT being xtian, I now hate every last shred of anything related to it. People, objects, locations, all of it.

"Civilization will not attain to its own perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest."
--Emile Zola

On 5/8/2021 at 11:57 PM, StaceyPowers said:

When I play video games, I am interested in everything. I pay attention to every detail of every environment. I excitedly talk to every NPC, and listen to everything they say. But IRL, I often am not paying nearly as much attention, and I typically avoid small talk. But I’ve noticed it is easier to get through it if I pretend I’m playing a video game.

Do you think your life would be better if you were able to approach it with the same intentionality as you do video games?

Personally, I pay more attention to my life than I do with video games. How in the world would my games be more important than my life?