Register Now
StaceyPowers

Reasons I usually don’t play “evil” characters

I was talking with someone the other day about why we usually don’t play “evil” characters, and tend to play by our own ethics. I came up with these reasons:

-Improved immersion since I am more invested emotionally.

-Can practice ethical decision-making under pressure.

-I care about the worlds/characters, even though they’re digital, and don’t want to harm them. Even in a solipsistic way, they are part of my existence, so I want to be kind to them.

Can anyone relate?

Not particularly. I play evil characters because I relate to them. I relate to everything The Antagonist (Hatred) feels and why he's going on a murderous rampage. I want to do the same every day. I can't put on that "good guy badge" because it makes me feel phony and once in a while actually makes me sick. I always have an RDR2 game ready that I just kill everyone I can find. All over the place. Anyone and everyone. Since it's more realistic than Hatred, I get an extra sense of satisfaction from the "senseless" killing.

Not really - it depends on the character really. I usually go by what they believe in or how they usually handle situations and what they're trying to achieve. Sometimes, I'll slaughter almost anything that moves in a game - even my own comrades because the character is portrayed as a nutcase or unhinged individual. 

On 5/17/2021 at 2:14 PM, Patrik said:

Evil is a really dynamic topic (unless you know what's happening on the other side)

That's a valid point actually - it totally depends on if the actions taken justify the damage they cause. In one game, you may be saying a character's actions are in response to a fight for survival but in other settings, it'd be viewed as evil.

It all boils down to individual view. It's a political thing, but not government political. What is good to one person may be bad to the person standing beside them. I believe in vigilante justice. There are people here who will argue that that is absolutely wrong and not the way to go about things. There are people here who are Christian. I think that is wrong and absolutely not the way to live your life.

We all have different views, and there is no absolute "good" or "evil". The only absolute rule in this subject, is that you can't have one without the other.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:42 PM, killamch89 said:

t depends on the character really. I usually go by what they believe in or how they usually handle situations and what they're trying to achieve.

I do this too if the character is established by the developer. But that isn't out of line with my ethics, as a fundamental respect for "you do you" is pretty central for me. And it seems pretty rare to find a game where I absolutely cannot empathize with the protagonist.

33 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

We all have different views, and there is no absolute "good" or "evil". The only absolute rule in this subject

My phrasing in this thread was probably poor. I should amend that I avoid playing what is evil by my personal ethical standards, not an external or absolute measure.

More like how you would not, I think, derive any value from killing rats in video games. You have an ethical line, even if it isn't "don't kill humans."

Since playing AC Valhalla where you are a viking exploring new land to conquer, It really is an interesting feeling looking at the environment and thinking it will all be mine. I usually don't think that way and am not wired that way, but in this case it is intriguing playing a wild and free character set on claiming it all. And there aren't any consequences like there are in other games where you can get a little feral sometimes. So it is an interesting balancing act to claim it all and then come across a vulnerable village where I mean no harm.

But to break away from my own norm the way I'm wired and allow myself to fall into the viking role has been really immersive. And there are these river raids in the game where the whole point is to kill and loot. To be that character, to relive a past sort of way in a kind of historical sense is actually fun. Interestingly, the plot of the game itself is reliving the memory of a person in that time period. 

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

My phrasing in this thread was probably poor. I should amend that I avoid playing what is evil by my personal ethical standards, not an external or absolute measure.

More like how you would not, I think, derive any value from killing rats in video games. You have an ethical line, even if it isn't "don't kill humans."

I go out of my way to not harm a rat in every game I play that has them in it. Even if it costs me health or a valuable item that I will never have the chance of getting again. I would rather not harm even a digital rat at my own expense than they take the harm to save me. For me causing a rat harm, in game or IRL, is unacceptable and inexcusable. It will never happen intentionally. And the punishment to myself if I do accidentally, is severe.

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I go out of my way to not harm a rat in every game I play that has them in it. Even if it costs me health or a valuable item that I will never have the chance of getting again. I would rather not harm even a digital rat at my own expense than they take the harm to save me. For me causing a rat harm, in game or IRL, is unacceptable and inexcusable. It will never happen intentionally. And the punishment to myself if I do accidentally, is severe.

In that case I'd say you play similarly to me. Though I don't punish myself if I do something wrong in a game; mostly I just feel bad and/or consider how not to do it again.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I do this too if the character is established by the developer. But that isn't out of line with my ethics, as a fundamental respect for "you do you" is pretty central for me. And it seems pretty rare to find a game where I absolutely cannot empathize with the protagonist.

That's true - no matter how twisted a protagonist might be, we tend to empathize with them because we understand the motive behind their misguided actions even though we may not necessarily support them.

On 5/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I was talking with someone the other day about why we usually don’t play “evil” characters, and tend to play by our own ethics. I came up with these reasons:

-Improved immersion since I am more invested emotionally.

-Can practice ethical decision-making under pressure.

-I care about the worlds/characters, even though they’re digital, and don’t want to harm them. Even in a solipsistic way, they are part of my existence, so I want to be kind to them.

Can anyone relate?

I can very well relate with this that you just explained now because it's a very common thing when you are filled with empathy. 

When we play games, that actually effects our real life actions subconsciously. So when we choose to play with evil characters and make such unethical decisions, that will have adverse effect on our real life.

So it is important that we should follow the ethical path, and do only the positive things that can effect our life positively.