Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you feel like you take gaming for granted?

I've never really thought about it, but I probably do. I know I have thought "The game will always be there tomorrow" many times. It never occurs to me that something may happen to my system and the game isn't there tomorrow. So all that said, yes, now that I think about it, I do take gaming for granted.

With recent trends, I'm all the more weary of gaming coming to an end as I know it. Be it due to studios shifting focus to mobile and online games, or political pandering.

Modern standards of graphics have spoiled me a little I admit, at least in the AAA market, but do take it for granted? I would say no. I'm not the most vain of individuals when it comes to games, I just expect certain standards and I'd say that's perfectly fair. If there is anything that's going to ruin gaming for me, it will be one or both of the following;

1. This push towards "live services" where you have to always be online, but the game holds no such demands for itself.
  2. The freemium concept. Mobile gaming is a complete joke to me because of it, but it's already creeping out of that cesspit and into other platforms, especially on PC's with so many of these rat pellets now available on both.

22 minutes ago, m76 said:

With recent trends, I'm all the more weary of gaming coming to an end as I know it. Be it due to studios shifting focus to mobile and online games, or political pandering.

Let me guess, the "political pandering" you speak off is whenever a game features characters that aren't straight white men? Oh no! Our hero is named Aisha off to save her girlfriend! Gaming is doomed... why?

Gamers and publishers have gotten a bit more demanding when it comes to they want.  Gamers want bigger games, better graphics, better frame rates and so on.  Publishers want more money.  It's developers that ultimately feel the pressure from both sides.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Let me guess, the "political pandering" you speak off is whenever a game features characters that aren't straight white men? Oh no! Our hero is named Aisha off to save her girlfriend! Gaming is doomed... why?

Further proof that you never take it to hearth what I write. It's not as if I haven't said numerous times that I don't even prefer straight white male protagonists when given the choice.

I've also mentioned what type of politics I hate in games, and no, inclusion is not political.  It's not as if I haven't been vocal about the fact that my favourite game of 2020 was TLOU2, which also became one of my favorite games ever. You try to reconcile that with what you just said.

I'll let you think on that and maybe for once you can reflect and realize that you are way out of line. And not for the first time at that. But this time I've had enough. You might not like my stance on cancel culture but that does not give you the right to (REDACTED) insult me in every topic.

Edited by Shagger

On 5/28/2021 at 10:46 PM, m76 said:

Further proof that you never take it to hearth what I write. It's not as if I haven't said numerous times that I don't even prefer straight white male protagonists when given the choice.

I've also mentioned what type of politics I hate in games, and no, inclusion is not political.  It's not as if I haven't been vocal about the fact that my favourite game of 2021 was TLOU2, which also became one of my favorite games ever. You try to reconcile that with what you just said.

I'll let you think on that and maybe for once you can reflect and realize that you are way out of line. And not for the first time at that. But this time I've had enough. You might not like my stance on cancel culture but that does not give you the right to (REDACTED) insult me in every topic.

Then explain what you actually mean by the statement. Even if I had made the exact opposite assumption on the political bias, the idea "political pandering" will ruin games makes just as little sense. Developers has the right to design and develop thier characters and stories exactly they want without being accused of the bullshit narrative know as "political pandering" no matter what direction they happen to be moving towards. So fill the gap, what kind of "political pandering" will ruin games?

EDIT. You're right, @m76 I was out of line. I've had time to think about it and I was presumptuous and hypocritical, and I am sorry. Hope to see when us put this behinds us when next you visit.

Edited by Shagger

I don't want to step in the shit, and I'm not taking either side, but I want to make one quick comment offering my opinion here. I think "political pandering" would most likely be something along the lines of a studio or dev giving in to pressure from one special interest group or another to follow their personal guidelines for what games can and can't have in them. I remember the explosion of religious groups when Mortal Kombat came out, and how hard they tried to get it banned. If Ed Boon and John Tobias had given in, then the genre of fighting games would have probably died with MK.

Just one opinion. Like I said, I don't want to step in the shit.

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

I don't want to step in the shit, and I'm not taking either side, but I want to make one quick comment offering my opinion here. I think "political pandering" would most likely be something along the lines of a studio or dev giving in to pressure from one special interest group or another to follow their personal guidelines for what games can and can't have in them. I remember the explosion of religious groups when Mortal Kombat came out, and how hard they tried to get it banned. If Ed Boon and John Tobias had given in, then the genre of fighting games would have probably died with MK.

Just one opinion. Like I said, I don't want to step in the shit.

I don't mind it all, and you bring up a valid point. The thing is the Mortal Kombat thing was really more about censorship rather than social politics. I could make a strong case justifying the backlash games like Mortal Kombat had as, as the time, games were sold very much as toys, not like an the entertainment medium as they are now. The ratings system wasn't in place either, so the companies involved couldn't play the "It's intended for adults" card. That's why that we all should be thankful organisations like the ESRB and PEGI exist despite their problems. Without them, there would be no GTA, TLOU, Assassins's Creed, The Witcher or any other more adult themed games. It's still good that people like Ed Boom and John Tobias didn't give in, if the hadn't, games made and rated for adults would have never happened and censorship would have ruined games in general.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Sometimes I feel like I have gotten “used to” modern gaming graphics too much, and essentially take them for granted. Can anyone here relate? Is there anything about gaming you feel you sometimes take for granted?

Well, the way this happens to me is particularly related to one game. There was a game called Spartan 300 if I remembered correctly, it was too easy for me to complete and I took it for granted.