Register Now
StaceyPowers

If video games ever became like the holodeck, would you want them to filter pain or not?

If we ever were to have fully immersive VR like being on a holodeck, would you want to feel pain if someone shot you or you struck a surface, etc.? How dampened would you want it to be? Or would you want it to be filtered out completely?

I wouldn't want to feel any pain - However, I'd like to feel what's going on in the environment like explosions and that sort of stuff. My main issue with the pain mechanic is that what would happen if the pain mechanic were to malfunction and amplify the pain you feel, what long term effects would it have on the user.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:15 PM, Family sedan said:

I always worry about when stuff that should be cool backfires, or goes haywire.

So true and that's why I don't necessarily want the pain feedback thing at all.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:38 AM, m76 said:

There would probably be people who get off on amplifying the pain. I'm fine with regular feedback, like a rumble when you are shot in a game.

I know quite a few people like that but I'm also fine with the regular feedback as well.

If there was no pain, my mental state would probably collapse and leave me as a babbling mess. I would most likely have to be institutionalized from experiencing a world without pain. I have no mental way to interpret something like that, so my mind would switch off permanently.

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If there was no pain, my mental state would probably collapse and leave me as a babbling mess. I would most likely have to be institutionalized from experiencing a world without pain. I have no mental way to interpret something like that, so my mind would switch off permanently.

But you've been playing video games all this time without pain receptors so I'm sure you'll be fine...

On 5/30/2021 at 1:12 AM, StaceyPowers said:

If we ever were to have fully immersive VR like being on a holodeck, would you want to feel pain if someone shot you or you struck a surface, etc.? How dampened would you want it to be? Or would you want it to be filtered out completely?

I never really got shot at in real life, and I'm that crazy to wish for such experience but let the impact be dropped off at least 50%.