Register Now
killamch89

Are you scared of dying?

Generally, for the majority of my life, I would have said yes. It's simply because the only true unknown is what, if anything, lies after death? Is death the end, or the beginning? Is there nothing and it's just a cessation of all consciousness where nothing is left but an empty shell? Is there reincarnation? Is it heaven/hell? Do we all become earth bound ghosts? Do we ascend to a higher consciousness like Nirvana?

At this point I don't care, but I just hope there is something besides a cessation. I don't think there is, but maybe I'll be surprised.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Generally, for the majority of my life, I would have said yes. It's simply because the only true unknown is what, if anything, lies after death? Is death the end, or the beginning? Is there nothing and it's just a cessation of all consciousness where nothing is left but an empty shell? Is there reincarnation? Is it heaven/hell? Do we all become earth bound ghosts? Do we ascend to a higher consciousness like Nirvana?

At this point I don't care, but I just hope there is something besides a cessation. I don't think there is, but maybe I'll be surprised.

2 hours ago, DC said:

I was scared of dying when I was younger. I use to have nightmares. No longer scared tbh but maybe that could change again as I get older?

Being that I've been on my deathbed before, it'll definitely let you reflect but I wouldn't worry too much about it. As the old saying goes " We live to die".

Depends on the situation. If I was in a war defending what is right, I wouldn't be afraid of death. In a pandemic, I'm afraid of it. If I'm raging angry I wouldn't be afraid. If I was in peace mode and someone attacks me, I'd be afraid of death. If I had a family I'd be afraid of death. If I was successful, happy, and wealthy I'd be afraid of it. If I was always struggling with lots of bad luck I wouldn't be afraid. 

I don't believe in being afraid of things that are beyond your control, so it really depends on the situation.  If it's something like a group of thugs that want to hurt me then yes, fear is what opens your mind to possible solutions.  If it's something like getting on a plane then no, even if there is an emergency there's nothing I can do about it.

7 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't believe in being afraid of things that are beyond your control, so it really depends on the situation.  If it's something like a group of thugs that want to hurt me then yes, fear is what opens your mind to possible solutions.  If it's something like getting on a plane then no, even if there is an emergency there's nothing I can do about it.

To be fair, I totally agree especially with the plane one because of how many things can go horribly wrong mid-flight. I remember when I was 18 and I was flying to New York and when we got to JFK and landed, another plane that was attempting to land almost collided into us but the pilot pulled up at the last moment.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be fair, I totally agree especially with the plane one because of how many things can go horribly wrong mid-flight. I remember when I was 18 and I was flying to New York and when we got to JFK and landed, another plane that was attempting to land almost collided into us but the pilot pulled up at the last moment.

Ground control at JFK has always been worthless. They fuck up constantly and put lives in danger every day with shit like this. It's why if I ever go to NY I'll either drive, or fly into Laguardia. If those aren't an option I'll fly to Newark and go to NYC from there.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Ground control at JFK has always been worthless. They fuck up constantly and put lives in danger every day with shit like this. It's why if I ever go to NY I'll either drive, or fly into Laguardia. If those aren't an option I'll fly to Newark and go to NYC from there.

I'm not defending it Incursions happen at every major Airport quite often and it's usually because of pilots making mistakes or not listening to instructions.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:13 PM, Crazycrab said:

I'm not defending it Incursions happen at every major Airport quite often and it's usually because of pilots making mistakes or not listening to instructions.

To be fair, that's what I heard on the news after the incident. They said that ground clearance had instructed the plane not to land as yet but the pilot must've heard something because he attempted to land. 

Radio transmissions do often get garbled, and sometimes cut out before the transmission finishes. So the pilot may very well have heard that he was clear to land, when the person speaking to them from ground control told them that they were, in fact, NOT clear to land. Typically airports have the best radio equipment second only to NASA and the government. But equipment does break down, and sometimes requires constant maintenance to make sure it's top notch. But people are often lazy as hell, and cut corners too.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Radio transmissions do often get garbled, and sometimes cut out before the transmission finishes. So the pilot may very well have heard that he was clear to land, when the person speaking to them from ground control told them that they were, in fact, NOT clear to land. Typically airports have the best radio equipment second only to NASA and the government. But equipment does break down, and sometimes requires constant maintenance to make sure it's top notch. But people are often lazy as hell, and cut corners too.

The part I remembered vividly was the plane rapidly descending towards us as I got a window seat on the left side and that's when I saw the plane coming down only for it to pull up at the last second.