Register Now
StaceyPowers

Optimism in games is usually about moral victory

A large percentage of games seem to include tragic or quasi-tragic endings, where events often unfold unpleasantly and/or the protagonist dies.

But I notice most games do seem to involve some type of moral victory or other.

I find that interesting—that this is the form of optimism that is most prevalent in games. We can’t control outcomes, but we can try to do something right. I feel this is a viable lesson for RL.

I think a moral victory is what sells. Imagine a game where there is an immoral victory. It will leave the game seeming unfinished. Even in horror games that seem unfinished at the end hinting that the evil still exists, still has a satisfying ending where there was a moral victory. What would be the point playing a game where you just constantly lose and even ends in a loss. It was all for naught. Optimism is what keeps us playing a game and that is the single most important factor. It’s the basis for every story and for a protagonist’s existence. The majority of people favor moral victories. I’m not sure if that preference is innate or something engrained in us from childhood with all the fairy tales. Optimism and moral victory is what drives life. But again I question if morality is innate or something taught. Being driven by an immoral victory can have the same optimism, but it’s less popular. A society driven by immoral victory could change that trend in what sells.

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think a moral victory is what sells. Imagine a game where there is an immoral victory. It will leave the game seeming unfinished. Even in horror games that seem unfinished at the end hinting that the evil still exists, still has a satisfying ending where there was a moral victory. What would be the point playing a game where you just constantly lose and even ends in a loss. It was all for naught. Optimism is what keeps us playing a game and that is the single most important factor. It’s the basis for every story and for a protagonist’s existence. The majority of people favor moral victories. I’m not sure if that preference is innate or something engrained in us from childhood with all the fairy tales. Optimism and moral victory is what drives life. But again I question if morality is innate or something taught. Being driven by an immoral victory can have the same optimism, but it’s less popular. A society driven by immoral victory could change that trend in what sells.

The only logical conclusion for me in games especially horror games that ends in immoral victory means that it's not yet finished as long as the evil is still out there, the fight continues. 

On 11/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, Boblee said:

The only logical conclusion for me in games especially horror games that ends in immoral victory means that it's not yet finished as long as the evil is still out there, the fight continues. 

I think most horror games and even movies all ends in that same way. Take a look at the Resident Evil games and movies, they all end in immoral victory. 

45 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I think most horror games and even movies all ends in that same way. Take a look at the Resident Evil games and movies, they all end in immoral victory. 

Exactly, when you think that it's all over and boom one monster would pop out from no where and here we go again. 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:41 PM, Head_Hunter said:

Merlin movie ended that way, very much incomplete ending for me. I meant for the best ending for the then popular Hollywood sorcery movie. 

Exactly, it did ended that way with the Merlin movie. I saw a new trailer about a new season of the movie. Did you get to play Merlin as a game? 

2 hours ago, Boblee said:

Exactly, it did ended that way with the Merlin movie. I saw a new trailer about a new season of the movie. Did you get to play Merlin as a game? 

I totally forgot about the movie till it's mentioned now. Let me even check if the movie came with a game too. 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

No, I don't think Merlin has a game. I only watched the movie, and it stopped at season 5. I got the saga of season 6, but I don't know if it's real Merlin. Have you played any Merlin game? 

19 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

No, I don't think Merlin has a game. I only watched the movie, and it stopped at season 5. I got the saga of season 6, but I don't know if it's real Merlin. Have you played any Merlin game? 

I have only come across the Board game of Merlin and nothing about the video game being on any consoles.