Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Silent Hill Games from ps2 era can never be remastered

This may seem like old news, but I was looking to play some of the classic Silent Hill games on the ps4 and learned that due to the way the games were made by Konami, it just can't be remastered. They have attempted to, but ended up worsening details. I'm confused as to why that is. I know they had issues with the fog in the HD version. The only option would be to remake it. 

Not sure about that but there was an  "HD remaster" back in 2012 that was just awful. Last I heard is that konami focused on mobile games for quite some time but it looks like they are back at working with their AAA titles hopefully they will give us a proper remake or at least a decent remaster

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Not sure about that but there was an  "HD remaster" back in 2012 that was just awful. Last I heard is that konami focused on mobile games for quite some time but it looks like they are back at working with their AAA titles hopefully they will give us a proper remake or at least a decent remaster

Exactly, that HD remaster is the best they can actually do to the series and it actually decreased the graphic quality due to the parameters of the original game. There is no possible way to enhance the original games. It's broken, so to speak. 

9 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

I never played silent hills, Konami knows the best for the game, I don't know if it will be remastered or not. It's best they remaster the old game add some enticing features to keep the gamers enjoying it. 

No they dont, believe me Konami doesnt know whats best for their IPs a good example of that is Metal Gear solid Survive. Konami hasnt made a AAA game in years because they have been focusing on mobile games and gambling games, which according to Konami it makes them more money than investing on an expensive AAA game. I mean at the end of the day its a business and even Kojima has some fault to that with the development of MGS V since according to many Kojima was spending a lot of money into the game and even then its still kinda incomplete. Hopefully they will turn around and start at least remaking some of the old good games, there is even rumors that they will start to work with Hideo Kojima again.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:02 PM, kingpotato said:

No they dont, believe me Konami doesnt know whats best for their IPs a good example of that is Metal Gear solid Survive. Konami hasnt made a AAA game in years because they have been focusing on mobile games and gambling games, which according to Konami it makes them more money than investing on an expensive AAA game. I mean at the end of the day its a business and even Kojima has some fault to that with the development of MGS V since according to many Kojima was spending a lot of money into the game and even then its still kinda incomplete. Hopefully they will turn around and start at least remaking some of the old good games, there is even rumors that they will start to work with Hideo Kojima again.

Thanks alot for taking your time to draft this substantial information. Konami is simply doing what's bringing them more money she not what their fans are looking up to, especially for those who doesn't have much to spend on their current lackluster games most especially on PES. 

I don't know about kojima, I'm simply hearing for the first time from you. 

I know the X360 version of the HD remasters were pretty poor and never patched, but I believe the PS3 versions were marginally better..?

..and should anyone be interested in seeing just how bad they were, you're in for a treat.. 😜 Note that the PS3 versions did receive a patch after these videos were posted, but I'm unsure on exactly how much improvement there was.

Edited by Oblivion Knight

To my knowledge, what happened was that the team working on the remaster, didn't have the final source code, so they had to work with a previous build of the game and go from there. Which meant that a lot of the game didn't have the fog cover that helped cover up its imperfections and there was other issues present. Oh and the final source code they needed, was lost I heard. 

Check out the video Matt McMuscles did about the making of the HD collection. It goes into details about what happened and why.