Register Now
ZandraJoi

Atari, old system

I remember having the old Atari & having it hooked up to the TV in our kitchen. Considering it was in the 80’s, it was quite good as a starter. Of course, doesn’t compare to consoles now. When we got Nintendo NES, we found several that were remakes of classic Atari games. They were more fun to play back in the day as now the graphics don't hold a candle to newer games. But, it was still enjoyable to reminisce. 

Who remembers the old Atari system?

I assume you're talking about the 2600. Atari launched three consoles through the 80'.

First, the very successful 2600 (Originally launched as the Atari Video Computer System or Atari VCS in 1978. Rebranded as the 2600 in 1982);

Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.thumb.png.4d33eb3f6e149cbd913b16e407b7f68a.png

The cumbersome and rubbish 5200 in 1982;

Atari-5200-4-Port-wController-R.jpg.cefa29fc9a4f82f9623e47f5c618043c.jpg

And the decent, but somewhat overshadowed 7800 in 1986:

Atari-7800-Console-Set.thumb.jpg.c85149e9b60bae3bcecea44ca91b40e9.jpg

Because it was by far the most successful of the three, I'm gonna assume you're talking about the 2600.

The 2600 was actually my first console. I think is was about 1989 maybe 1990. We were living temporary housing, basically a caravan, because our house was being renovated. We got this a Christmas present and remember playing this "32 in 1" cartage with games like  Combat and a number of spots games on it.

I remember it. Anyone who was anyone had one. I remember playing Pitfall, Frogger, and Pac-Man the most on it. I have several right now, that I still play on. Granted they're older than I am, but they're solid and work like a dream. Here's my current Atari game library:

GP = Game Program (it's in the game title) The numbers in parenthesis ()  to the right of any titles are how many copies I have.

3 Tele Games
Air-Sea Battle(2)(GP)
Asteroids(2)
Astroblast
Backgammon(GP)
Barnstorming
Basketball(2)
Battlezone
Berzerk(3)
Blackjack(GP)
Bowling
Breakout
Bridge
Canyon Bomber
Centipede
Circus Atari(2)(GP)
Combat(4)(GP)
Daemons To Diamonds
Defender(2)
Dig Dug
Dodge 'Em(2)
Donkey Kong(2)
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial(3)
Fast Food
Football
Football(GP)
Freeway(2)
Frogger(2)
Frogs & Flies
Grand Prix(2)
Haunted House(2)
Home Run(GP)
Human Cannonball
Indy 500
Joust
Jr. Pac-Man
Jungle Hunt(2)
Kaboom
Kangaroo
Mario Bros.
Maze Craze(2)
Miniature Golf(GP)
Missile Command
Mouse Trap
Night Driver(2)
Pac-Man(3)
Phoenix
Pitfall(2)
Pong Sports
Q*Bert(2)
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
River Raid
Shark Attack
Skiing
Sky Diver
Slot Machine(GP)
Space Invaders(3)(GP)
Space War
Spiderman
Stampede
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
Street Racer(GP)
Super Breakout(2)
Swordquest: Earthworld
Swordquest: Fireworld(2)
Video Checkers(GP)
Video Chess(GP)
Video Olympics(2)(GP)
Video Pinball(GP)
Warlords(2)(GP)
Word Zapper
Yars' Revenge

Edited by The Blackangel

As someone who grew up with the PS2 (27 y.o. now) but loves Atari to death, I can say this: I find a lot of charm in its simplicity, and love playing arcade games for high scores.

Also, the homebrews. A lot of amazing homebrews, and more coming out every year.

On 2/20/2022 at 2:24 AM, Empire said:

As someone who grew up with the PS2 (27 y.o. now) but loves Atari to death, I can say this: I find a lot of charm in its simplicity, and love playing arcade games for high scores.

Also, the homebrews. A lot of amazing homebrews, and more coming out every year.

There is charm in the simplicity of Atari games. I love playing the atari 2600.  My second favorite console behind C64. Right now however I have been playing atari flashback.  

I never owned an atari console, but I have a few atari games in my collection. I wouldn't mind getting some of the older atari consoles and buy up some games, but Atari was mostly before my time, and honestly I have no interest in really playing most atari games. 

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

Atari 2600 was my first favorite of the gaming system. My uncle still have it till date and it's still functional. 

Your uncle is truly living an ancient life with that gaming device lol. Don't mind my words, I'm just poking fun. Just that, the console have been around for over 30 years, he's just good at preserving. 

5 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Your uncle is truly living an ancient life with that gaming device lol. Don't mind my words, I'm just poking fun. Just that, the console have been around for over 30 years, he's just good at preserving. 

I have several Atari 2600's and play them all the time.

Mind your words regarding age carefully. You're talking to a woman here.😈

Edited by The Blackangel

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I have several Atari 2600's and play them all the time.

You're too good preserving old video game devices. I wish to be like you, I'm too careless to keep holding a device for long. 

Edited by Justin11