Register Now
The Blackangel

I Need Help With Audio Recording

Most everyone here knows that I'm working on a gaming channel. Well I recorded a video the other day with my commentary. You may not believe this, but I sound like a stoned man. I know I have a deep voice for a woman, but I sound like a man on the recording. So I checked the other ones I have done, and it's the same. I probably sound more masculine that any of the guys here. I have a woman's voice obviously. But this actually freaked me out. Does anyone know any way I can fix this before I start making any videos live?

I was using an Astro Gaming A10 until my dog chewed it up. Now I'm using a special Zelda edition Switch headset. I plug it into the controller, and record my play with the Playstation. As for editing, I don't do much more than what I've already mentioned. I did find a program that can alter a person's voice, but nothing sounds even close to me. I either come off as a 5 year old girl or a 90 year old woman. I'm wanting the videos to be as raw as possible, but since I'm a woman, I want to actually sound like one. Sounding like a mixture of James Earl Jones and Sean Connery is not exactly a feminine preference.

A graphic equalizer might help .I don't know how to do it in software terms but you can run your voice through the EQ and cut some of the lower frequencies.At least a part of the difference between male and female voices is males have more bass style frequencies. With  a good eq you could cut the bass and listen to tones in your voice you like and boost them.As far as pitch shifting not much besides an Eventide processor sounds sorta like a toy. Eventide doesn't have cheap stuff though.

It doesn't matter if your voice is going masculine or not, what really matters is what you're bringing to your viewers. What you're talking will keep them on, provided it is what they expected to hear, and not the sound of your voice. I've been to several YouTube channels more especially affiliate marketing channels, ND crypto niche channels, for me, their voice aren't good enough, still they attracted lots of viewers through what they're teaching, which is clearer and not the sound of their voice. 

Do you have a clip or something I can listen to?

Also, is this only happening in your videos, or is this everywhere? If you do a quick voice sample on vocaroo or Audacity, does it make you sound like a guy?

Your voice will also sound different to you than it does to other people, so a lot of people freak out when they hear their voice in a recording.