Register Now
Techno

Is it morally right to kill someone before they commit a crime?

So I had a thought, would it be morally right to kill Adolf Hitler before he became the Nazi Leader?

I mean, if he hasn't committed the crime yet, could you really justify killing him? Does he have to do what he does first, before he can be justly killed?.

My answer to this is Psycho pass xD or if you dont watch the whole season watch Minority report with Tom Cruise

Its moraly wrong, maybe you can prevent some killings but you may also cause another. For example lets say that an individual is accused of being capable of killing somebody, so if they were to try to capture him and ultimately killing him that could led him to kill somebody to defend himself, either a law enforcer or an innocent just because he was told he was cabaple of killing and the fear of being killed.

It would lead to a lot of revenge violence. Killing someone just because they have a tendency for violence would lead to the ones that cared about that person seeking revenge against the ones that killed him/her. It's already prevalent in gang violence. Kill my homie, I kill you.

Take someone like me. I have an extremely explosive temper. To the point that I sometimes black out and don't even know what I'm doing. When I'm sitting around I can see people get hurt, and not care. If someone breaks into my house it is my 100% intention to kill them. They will not leave alive. I will use every bullet I own if I have to, just to make sure they are dead.

Do I need to be killed for those reasons?

On 1/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, Techno said:

So I had a thought, would it be morally right to kill Adolf Hitler before he became the Nazi Leader?

I mean, if he hasn't committed the crime yet, could you really justify killing him? Does he have to do what he does first, before he can be justly killed?.

That’s a trick question because today there are many people following in his footsteps straight out of a playbook.

So you're basically asking is it OK to kill innocent people? Since no matter how extreme the example you bring, before committing the heinous act they are innocent. Even genocidal dictators like Hitler or Stalin were at some point innocent. 

It's not justifiable to go around killing people who we suspect will do something bad in the future. This sounds very much like the witch burnings to me. Which is a very nasty can of worms.

2 hours ago, m76 said:

So you're basically asking is it OK to kill innocent people? Since no matter how extreme the example you bring, before committing the heinous act they are innocent. Even genocidal dictators like Hitler or Stalin were at some point innocent. 

It's not justifiable to go around killing people who we suspect will do something bad in the future. This sounds very much like the witch burnings to me. Which is a very nasty can of worms.

Yeah, If we convicted people of murder just for thinking about it then It's fairly safe to say that would be almost the entire human race.  The only thing people should be judged by is their actions, having an impulse and acting on it are not the same.  

Thoughts are thoughts. Actions are actions. I can think about buying a new computer. But until I go to the store and pay for one, it's just a thought. Once I have gone to the store and paid for one, it's an action. Thinking about it doesn't get me a new computer. Going to the store with money, does.

In the case of Hitler, we can only wonder what the Jews and everyone else that was a victim of what their answer would be. And would someone else have taken his place? Really think hard about the ethics involved. You have to compare the amount of suffering. One man, or millions tortured and killed, and millions more died in war and others PTSD, others POW's. One soul, or millions. His victims hold a lot more weight. At what point would he not be innocent? Is he still innocent when people are taken to the camps w/o killing any yet? Is he still innocent signing bills into law that outlaws entire ethnic groups or political groups? Where exactly would his innocence end? 

On 1/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, Techno said:

It's difficult to tell which people will become monsters, I mean, unless you can see the future like in the Stephen King book "The Dead Zone".   Anyway, it's interesting to note that though history, preemptive war is fed by paranoia of "They are going to get us, if we don't get them.".   In fact, the Nazis wanted to eliminate Jews cause the government convinced it's military and police that the Jews wanted to "get the Germans".