Register Now
Kane99

Steam Passes 28 Million Concurrent Users, Setting New Record

Well it seems that Steam isn't having any issues with Epic Games and other storefronts popping up, because they have set a new record for the most concurrent users using a service. With 28 million concurrent users. That's a pretty damn big number. 

Just goes to show how huge PC gaming really is when you think about it. Especially through Steam. 

You can read more on this news here - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-passes-28-million-concurrent-users-setting-new-record/1100-6499464/

20 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think with VR gaming, the PC gaming industry would be getting even more demand and long term growth for sure. 

Vr gaming certainly helps, but I don't see it helping much with online gaming. But I could be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

The number of PC users are just way too high, and also those who makes use of consoles has PC's too. So, they form part of the circle for steam concurrent users and that of other platforms. 

Why would you say the number of PC users is "too high? There's nothing wrong with playing games on PC, it's a great platform for gaming. True, some people take thier appreciation of PC gaming too far with the "Master Race" carp and go all fanboy with it, but a PC being a popular ad current place to play is not a bad thing. It's a great option that has a great many befits for those who are willing to suffer it's drawbacks.

1 minute ago, Shagger said:

Why would you say the number of PC users is "too high? There's nothing wrong with playing games on PC, it's a great platform for gaming. True, some people take thier appreciation of PC gaming too far with the "Master Race" carp and go all fanboy with it, but a PC being a popular ad current place to play is not a bad thing. It's a great option that has a great many befits for those who are willing to suffer it's drawbacks.

I said so, because more of the people use PCs than the way they use consoles, their is no doubt. They don't just use it for only video games, but for other assignments online and offline, making it one of the in-demand device around, with lots of active users. I am not a PC user, I've always dreamed of being one, I don't want to rush into getting a PC now, I need quality, that's the reason why I've delayed in buying one. 

27 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

I said so, because more of the people use PCs than the way they use consoles, their is no doubt. They don't just use it for only video games, but for other assignments online and offline, making it one of the in-demand device around, with lots of active users. I am not a PC user, I've always dreamed of being one, I don't want to rush into getting a PC now, I need quality, that's the reason why I've delayed in buying one. 

The stats apply to users on Steam. Steam is a launcher and storefront for video games, it is not office or cooperate software. Those 28 million users don't include people using Microsoft Office. Even if it happens to be on the exact same device, using a PC as a utility and using a PC as a gaming planform is not the same thing. You do not need a PC with the kind of specifications a gaming PC to write up a quarterly report, study for a geology exam or organise a company's payroll. It's true that someone may use that same PC to do those things kind of things, but the only reason someone is active on a Steam account is to play games on it, even if they use the same PC for other things.

Edited by Shagger

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

The stats apply to users on Steam. Steam is a launcher and storefront for video games, it is not office or cooperate software. Those 28 million users don't include people using Microsoft Office. Even if it happens to be on the exact same device, using a PC as a utility and using a PC as a gaming planform is not the same thing. You do not need a PC with the kind of specifications a gaming PC to write up a quarterly report, study for a geology exam or organise a company's payroll. It's true that someone may use that same PC to do those things kind of things, but the only reason someone is active on a Steam account is to play games on it, even if they use the same PC for other things.

I truly got your point Mod, and it is just clear. Not everyone that is using a PC have am account with steam. This number which is 28 million users, are just basically for steam PC users, I got the point clearer. Imagine such kind of numbers who are playing games on steam network, no wonder steam is so popular. 

Even with these inflated prices, you still save money on a PC because of the cheaper game cost, longer lifespawn and not paying nearly as much for games, mod access to make certain games last much longer than on console, as well as not having to pay for console online (lol).

Plus, it's a PC. It's not just worthless 90% of the time and collects dust after your games are done, you can use it for anything, I use mine for work 8 hours a day. This is less of a bonus now that so many people use their smartphones so much, but it's still there.

10 hours ago, Shagger said:

Being a console rat that I am, I have also managed to get into playing on PC platform and I have come to understand the reason why PC gamers hold their platform in high regard. 

On 1/10/2022 at 7:41 AM, skyfire said:

I think with VR gaming, the PC gaming industry would be getting even more demand and long term growth for sure. 

That's something I believe to be certain with VR gaming in the balance. If most gamers take to it, we would looking at a massive increase in that numbers. 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Even with these inflated prices, you still save money on a PC because of the cheaper game cost, longer lifespawn and not paying nearly as much for games, mod access to make certain games last much longer than on console, as well as not having to pay for console online (lol).

Plus, it's a PC. It's not just worthless 90% of the time and collects dust after your games are done, you can use it for anything, I use mine for work 8 hours a day. This is less of a bonus now that so many people use their smartphones so much, but it's still there.

The functionality of smartphones and tablets isn't he only issue with that. If you were to, for example, buy a PS5 and then a cheep computer to used as a utility, that would would still work out as significantly cheaper than buying or building a gaming PC to match a PS5's performance. I even challenged @skyfire to prove me wrong on that on this other thread and instead he through a hissy fit.