Register Now
Kane99

Sega might be next in NFTs, but they're looking into it first

I guess the fan backlash to NFTs as of late, has kept Sega 50/50 on the whole matter. At one instance, they are looking into the idea of using NFTs, but they are first going to make sure it's something that they can do and do right for the gamers. I am not for NFTs in games, but it's kind of a nice change of pace to see a company taking it cautiously and aren't rushing to jump into the NFT game. But, my bet is that they too will jump into the NFT game and we'll all end up hating it. 

But, it seems Sega is the only one who does see the fan backlash from it, so who know what could happen. My guess is we'll see NFT style systems everywhere in the coming years. I hate the idea, but I think it's going to end up replacing microtransactions as we know them. I worry that NFTs will be the main way to get digital items in games going forward. And I don't know how that will change the gaming world. 

Anyway, you can read more about this Sega story here - https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/01/sega-considering-what-will-be-accepted-by-the-users-in-gaming-nfts/

There has been too much violence, too much pain! None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the NFTs, the monkeys, and I will spare your lives. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:32 AM, Kane99 said:

At one instance, they are looking into the idea of using NFTs, but they are first going to make sure it's something that they can do and do right for the gamers.

Sorry SEGA but that is literally impossible.  NFT's cannot "do right" for gamers, or non-gamers or SEGA. I mean fuck, their not even "doing right" for the scammers anymore!

Right now despite some companies sill desperately trying to push them, (thankfully) NFT's are officially a sinking ship.  It would a very stupid idea to get into them even without all the ethical concerns.  It's almost like ordinary people actually don't want to spend money on a jpeg of a bored ape or a specific shade of purple. 

They are only of interest to other MLM scammers, so much so that even the scammers are being robbedTheir "value" has nosedived despite being worth literally fuck all to begin with.  If I came into contact with someone who lost a fortune on their NFT investments not only would they get zero sympathy, I would laugh in their face!  It's not like us non-fraudsters didn't warn them.  Nobody wants what Jim Sterling aptly describes as Nasty Fucking Things.

3 hours ago, Empire said:

There has been too much violence, too much pain! None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the NFTs, the monkeys, and I will spare your lives. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

They keep feeling like we would too gullible to take everything they throw at us but not this time with NFTs. We vehemently say NO!! 

I think this is more about developers and publishers trying to put some value into their art and have it traded like trading cards. The difference in physical trading cards is it's value goes up if the card stays in mint condition over time. You don't have to worry about that in NFT as much because the digital value hardly changes with age, so the price won't increase much. Not until at least we have a new format in computers that has better digital quality. But those old digital NFT's will eventually become irrelevant, especially when games get remastered. A physical trading card even with slight fading over decades, will continue to increase in value. A digital card or NFT won't. Nobody is going to care about an outdated NFT. I've got a physical trading card collection myself. Would I ever buy a digital one? No because I see absolutely no value in it over time. Art is art, so the NFT market can be considered the new art collecting venture. To me it's like owning a rare silver round, only digitally on the internet. Sorry, but I'd rather own that in person. When it comes to our gaming experience, we can do without pressuring us to buy something that simply should stay as part of gaming like gear for characters, and not treated as a gamble where you can't enjoy any gear w/o buying into NFT. I can see how using the photo mode and capturing cool pics can be used as your own digital art and be a part of digital art shows or maybe even owning that sort of NFT outside the arena of gaming. But developers will put in place copyrights to own any pic you take in photo mode, so that becomes nothing especially as mentioned earlier when games get remastered.  

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I can see how using the photo mode and capturing cool pics can be used as your own digital art and be a part of digital art shows or maybe even owning that sort of NFT outside the arena of gaming. But developers will put in place copyrights to own any pic you take in photo mode, so that becomes nothing especially as mentioned earlier when games get remastered.  

I'm not so sure about that. If somebody does a painting of a view that includes, let's say, a country house or a a landmark, the owners of that landmark can't claim to own that painting. I see a similar issue with game developers claiming ownership of works created using a photo mode, not to mention it would be terrible PR and probably not very economical to bring to court anyway.