Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you think VR is over-hyped?

10 hours ago, Patrik said:

i wouldn't personally call it overhyped, it's surely good but comes at an expensive cost and in some games, the pov is a bit glitchy and annoying, like for example :

Yeah, the glitches are there but it's something that I believe can be worked on. About how expensive it gets, I don't know if it can be sold cheaper. 

I doubt VR will become the new norm for gaming, i'd see it more as a gimmick like motion controls, kinect and what have you. It also failed to make a big impact on the casual gaming "market" as somebody else stated VR diden't really take off (yet). My 5 reasons why :

-it's expensive,

-i find it cluncky and impractical to use

-Lacks games that would pick my interest to play

-You look like an idiot wearing a VR headset and waving around move controlers

-It causes me nausea and that it is probably my main reason why i never bothered buying a ps Vr set.

The only over-excitement I see is the idea of VR taking over the standard interfaces of gaming. It won't for two reasons: one being that it has a lot of hurdles to overcome versus the numerous inventive and perfected means of playing already, and two, it has to overcome them before its evolution is invented like Augmented Reality, which is currently far more impressive and practical.

Like many inventions, especially in gaming, its first iteration is rarely the successful one or the one people point to and say "that's what got this where it is today." Stadia wasn't going to be the future, but that doesn't mean streaming can't one day be the future. A different interface or dimension to the gaming space will no doubt come about, but it won't be Oculus leading the charge.

17 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I doubt VR will become the new norm for gaming, i'd see it more as a gimmick like motion controls, kinect and what have you. It also failed to make a big impact on the casual gaming "market" as somebody else stated VR diden't really take off (yet). My 5 reasons why :

-it's expensive,

-i find it cluncky and impractical to use

-Lacks games that would pick my interest to play

-You look like an idiot wearing a VR headset and waving around move controlers

-It causes me nausea and that it is probably my main reason why i never bothered buying a ps Vr set.

If the use of VR headset causes me nausea, it's definitely going to be very difficult for me to make use of it as it's detrimental to my health. 

10 hours ago, Boblee said:

Seriously, this is my first time of hearing about the VR headset causing any health problems like nausea or having one disoriented. 

If it's a very common problem with most users, I'm very sure that it's something they can't overlook and fix it immediately. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

If that's rampant casing nausea, the developers should take note of it and improve the quality of the VR headset never to cause such infection. 

It might not affect everyone the same way. There might be something that triggers it for a particular gamer. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Okay, I just believe so. Have you tried using the VR headset since you learned about it? 

Currently, I haven't used it in playing any games apart from experiencing it at the mall where I used it for a few minutes and stopped.