Register Now
Shagger

Capcom's Street Fighter Tournament Licence Controversy

I'd like to say that I'm creating this topic because I've seen this mentioned here and there on the forum and want to see the discussion on it condensed into a single place, and that is true, but if being honest, I'm also creating this topic to help me understand exactly what this controversy is about. I'm confused because, based on what I've seen, this doesn't look like that big of a deal. Capcom wanting tournament organizers to apply for a licence with an inevitable fee to use the game for e-sports, it's logo's and so on in publication's and promotions, that doesn't sound unreasonable. But I am self aware enough to accept there's probably something I'm missing.

What exactly is going on here? Thoughts, feelings and details? The most up to date article I found is this from dot-esports, and whilst there is plenty of info there, but the community is a valuable source I won't ignore.

So VGR, let's get into it.

It's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen a company make and we've see Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda and others pulling some absolute stupid moves. All they've managed to do is basically alienating a portion of the Street Fighter fanbase - the hardcore players. Fighting tournaments are already dropping Street Fighter - Honestly, I'm still trying to see how they thought this was a good idea...

I've read the article and essentially what's happening is Capcom have decided to impose monetary restrictions of Street Fighter Tournament Organisers.  Under these terms the prize fund is limited to $2000 per event and $10,000 for a TO per year.  Sponsorship revenue is also limited to $5000 per event and $20,000 per year.  Also under the new terms Capcom retain the rights to any media from any event including photos, video and livetreams.

Capcom are saying they made these changes to the licence agreement to "make organising easier and faster".  On that note I can see what Capcom think their doing.  The idea being that by having these terms fixed in the licence agreement TO's don't have to spend time negotiating the monetary terms with them.  The obvious problem especially for players and TO's of bigger events id that these are very low amounts of money.  So low that it's not even bothering, especially after the costs of trademark fees, renting venues and so on are taken off.

These kind of terms are a fairly common thing in many licensing agreements in professional sports, but Capcom have taken this WAY to far.  These limitations are absolutely absurd.  How the hell are they supposed to attract any top players when the prize pool is only $2000?  It's fucking ridiculous.

Basically they released new rules about hosting events. Small prize pools, only free entry, and an inability to broadcast were some of the big things that people were mad about. Many feel like it makes hosting an event pointless