Register Now
NightmareFarm

Arena first person shooters vs Realistic/Military first person shooters. Which do you prefer?

Arena first person shooters vs Realistic/Military first person shooters. Which do you prefer?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Arena vs Realistic

• Arena Shooter(DOOM, Quake, Halo, etc)
    • Realistic shooter(Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc)

Do you prefer the more wacky and fantastical arena based shooters like Doom or more realistic based shooters like Call of Duty?

Personally I much prefer arena shooters. Especially the modern doom games. I find realism based shooters have a dull aesthetic to them and less interesting gameplay. Arena shooters are really fun and one of my favourite genres. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

That's an interesting question. The arena shooters can be a fun slaughter house at times. I recently play COD Vanguard and Battlefield 1 and I really really enjoyed that realistic approach. I was impressed and it didn't have that fun feel, but it was superb and not soon to be forgotten. I think arena shooters lose a little bit of story because the massacre eventually gets pointless when they keep coming at you. There would have to be a lot of details of blood, guts, and limbs for it to be continually enjoyable. And I would need a break in-between attacks so that I can indulge myself in chopping up corpses and write on the walls with their blood. Even though I don't know a game that allows that. But that would be ideal for me to keep interest. So I guess 1st person hack n slash arena would be more interesting than arena shooter. Nothing like up close and personal multiple hacks at the neck to chip the head off one stroke at a time instead of one clean strike. 

I didn't vote because I genuinely don't have a preference. It really depends on my mood and what has just been released. When a new COD is released, I'll spend a lot of time on it. But if there is a new arena shooter, and it's good, I'll be happy to spend some time on that.

If not for the poor development they are doing with Call of Duty games and Battlefield, they are give the best shooting experience whenever you talk about shooting games that brings everything to the table. 

I'm not a huge "shooter games" kid of guy, but like with most of my gaming I do prefer the "fantasy" side of things and would thus take Halo or Titanfall over Battlefield or COD. The fantasy is just more interesting than reality in concept.