Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you try to avoid “metagaming” on replays of single player games?

If you are replaying a single player RPG, how do you deal with the issue of metagaming? Do you deliberately alter your choices based on your past playthrough to try and get better outcomes (or just to see different results)? Or do you try to pretend you did not experience the previous outcomes and make decisions based solely on in-character parameters?

Yeah I have no clue what metagaming is exactly. I looked it up, and from what I can gather, it's more of a thing where games get very serious with the game, and use the game against others. I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I never heard of metagaming outside of what Facebook is doing with their Meta Gaming brand. And I don't think that is the same at all. 

For me, I just make decisions I think are right. And if I do a different playthrough, maybe I do it differently, or choose the same result. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I have no clue what metagaming is exactly.

In D&D and other tabletop roleplaying games 'metagaming' is the practice of your character employing what you as a player know. It's one thing to know that trolls are vulnerable to fire, that's a common fairy tale trope; it's another thing to know the troll's exact health, stats, and movement. The character doesn't have access to the knowledge the player does like stat blocks, they can only really go off hearsay and experience.

In answer to the OP, no, I'm a compulsive metagamer. I'll do whatever I can to get an edge so long as the game remains enjoyable. If it requires me to play a way or revolve around a build I don't enjoy then I'll read up on it out of curiosity but not for practice.

How about you? Yay or nay on the metagaming front?

I try to ignore it. Like in MMOs I don’t do much group content, because I do t want to be bothered about min maxing and gear score and all this stuff. Most encounters are easy enough that it’s borderline unnecessary to be deep diving peoples builds for PvE content. PvP is a little different since there is an implied value you won’t sabotage other people.

But if you’re playing single player, do what you want. It’s your time, and you never get to play a game for the first time again, might as well play the way you find interesting the first time.

Personally, I enjoy games more if I could progress and win against all odds.

Metagaming comes to me as a reflex action and i employ it to my game play if that's the more viable option to guarantee I progress in the game.

No guilty feeling as long as I keep enjoying the game otherwise why is it a video game if I am not going to have fun playing it and always have to be so honest with my methods. Lol